PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket headunit removal, 99 civic, easy?

manicsix
28-04-2009, 05:42 PM
G'day all,

I have a '99 civic hatch which has a crappy Alpine 3-stacker In-dash CD player (CD player not working) that I want to rip out and replace.

I read on here that I need to use some sort of tool just to pull the headdeck out of the harness/cradle, would this be right? Would it simply just slide out?

Does this make it a lot easy to install a new headdeck compared to the factory one?

Any help appreciated!!!

Dy_
28-04-2009, 05:46 PM
google install doctor.
and then find honda>civic>etc basically going to be the same except you'll need some headunit keys inorder to get your existing headunit to slide out.

manicsix
28-04-2009, 05:51 PM
google install doctor.
and then find honda>civic>etc basically going to be the same except you'll need some headunit keys inorder to get your existing headunit to slide out.

I have the install doctor file.

But, what I am wondering is, do I need to remove all that other crap (panels etc.) to get to the unit, if I just need to slide this aftermarket headdeck out and replace with it another non-factory one?

95civic
28-04-2009, 05:56 PM
You should be able to slide it straight out assuming you have the 'keys' to get down the side of the unit and 'push the buttons' in. I didnt need to remove anything when i put mine in, (only removed a frame from around the edge of the unit that i was installing)

manicsix
28-04-2009, 05:59 PM
You should be able to slide it straight out assuming you have the 'keys' to get down the side of the unit and 'push the buttons' in. I didnt need to remove anything when i put mine in, (only removed a frame from around the edge of the unit that i was installing)

Ok, Cheers. I don't have some of these keys, but my brother the car nut may have some. Are they cheap BTW?

Dy_
28-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I have the install doctor file.

But, what I am wondering is, do I need to remove all that other crap (panels etc.) to get to the unit, if I just need to slide this aftermarket headdeck out and replace with it another non-factory one?

well if you slide the keys in and it doesnt slide out. you'll obviously need to take some panels out inorder to push it from behind.

SIP117
29-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Did mine last week..
Mate,if u are currently using the original head unit.U need to take a couple of panels out.
U can't just slide it out.
When I did mine, I took off the following items:

1.Handbrake & armrest console
2.Glove box
3.Something underneath the stereo facia,where the drink holders are
4.Stereo facia

I took that stuff out because I installed my system as well [subwoofer and amp]
So basically if u are just putting the head unit in, u only need to take off the last three things above.

Hope this help

manicsix
29-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Did mine last week..
Mate,if u are currently using the original head unit.U need to take a couple of panels out.
U can't just slide it out.
When I did mine, I took off the following items:

1.Handbrake & armrest console
2.Glove box
3.Something underneath the stereo facia,where the drink holders are
4.Stereo facia

I took that stuff out because I installed my system as well [subwoofer and amp]
So basically if u are just putting the head unit in, u only need to take off the last three things above.

Hope this help

Appreciate your help bud, but the title of my thread is "Aftermarket headunit removal..."

I know that you have to do all this if you have the factory headunit installed, but my question was, is the job easier if you are replacing an aftermarket unit with another aftermarket unit - Because my car came with an Alpine in-dash 3CD stacker - which I doubt is factory fitted.

:thumbsup:

Jerfield
29-04-2009, 10:35 AM
it should slide right out if you give it a push from behind.
just take off the surrounding panels, then get you hand in behind the unit (you might need to pull out the plugs if the lead is short) then push from behind and pull from the front when you can grab it. easy as :D

SIP117
29-04-2009, 01:26 PM
SH&**^&TT
didnt read it properly man..
I thought u were about to replace ur stock head unit with the aftermarket..

In this case,
It should be really easy!Esp, when u change it to alpine again.
When u buy a brand new head unit, you should receive 2 metal things [looks like ice cream stick]
take off the frame
Slide those 2 things in [ Left and Right]
Pull it out then way you go...

NO NEED TO TAKE OFF SURROUNDING PANELS [MY bad:(]

good luck