PDA

View Full Version : Mobile speed camera can detect oncoming traffic?

xenonkuraz
28-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Just something I seem to find people generally unsure of (including myself). Can they detect the speed of a car going towards them?

chkn
28-04-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/fixeddigitalspeedcameras/howdofixeddigitalspeedcameraswork.html

this is about fixed speed cameras but it works the same for the ones that sit in front of the cars!

you shouldn't have to worry about speed camera's if you don't speed. why do people slow down to go 5km/h under the speed limit when they see the cars? go the right speed, no worries!

bennjamin
28-04-2009, 10:10 PM
a mobile speed camera ? IE a police officer using a laser , or a stationary mobile"camera" thattakes your picture as you go past ? The former has a long "line of sight" range , like a rifle scope.
The latter , is a very close range camera much like a normal speed camera. It takes your picture and indicated speed as you drive past a small point on the road.

IZY-10
28-04-2009, 10:18 PM
a mobile speed camera ? IE a police officer using a laser , or a stationary mobile"camera" thattakes your picture as you go past ? The former has a long "line of sight" range , like a rifle scope.
The latter , is a very close range camera much like a normal speed camera. It takes your picture and indicated speed as you drive past a small point on the road.
That small point can be either too or from the direction of the camera as long as there is no islands in the middle of the road to divide it i guess?

Mr_will
28-04-2009, 10:19 PM
yes the portable radars can measure your speed as you approach them.

mp-
28-04-2009, 10:28 PM
im not sure about those mobile ones, but i know that some of the fixed speed cameras can capture both directions and some can only capture 1 direction.

Ive had a speed camera flash in my face and again got caught by the same one flashing my ass.

With another case, ive seen a camera flash someone going one way, on the other hand, i always see people speed pass it going in the other direction and it doesnt flash at all.

But all these are based on those fixed speed cameras..so not really answering your question there :p

aaronng
28-04-2009, 10:34 PM
If there are road sensors on both sides of the road for fixed speed camera, then yes, it can take both directions. Example is the speed camera on Delhi Road, between North Ryde and Chatswood.

Others have sensors on only 1 side of the road but compensate with a camera on either side so that it takes both directions. Example is the twin speed cameras in the school zone on princes highway just after Brighton le Sand.

Mobile cameras can get you both ways, but I see that they tend to take your speed reading as you are coming towards them.

mku01
29-04-2009, 01:58 AM
if you're in bris, i just got done tonight by one... dark green merc van, though the catch is they get you on a 45 deg angle (at least that's how i got done).. so if you see them from afar you shouldn't have a problem..

James Dean
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
yeah i got done by one is brissy near milton 45 degree angle.

have to say, that flash is blinding.

aaronng
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
yeah i got done by one is brissy near milton 45 degree angle.

have to say, that flash is blinding.

Take one for the team. Crash when you get blinded and then sue the traffic authority for causing accidents with the flash from the van.

Type S Tony
04-05-2009, 01:42 PM
F**k the POLICE & their underhanded ways of booking people! wish they put more effort into solving muder,rapes & robberies rather than wait for some poor sod to come round the bend doing 10k's highger than the speed limit!

aaronng
04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
F**k the POLICE & their underhanded ways of booking people! wish they put more effort into solving muder,rapes & robberies rather than wait for some poor sod to come round the bend doing 10k's highger than the speed limit!

Detectives and highway patrol officers are different breeds.... Can't put highway patrol staff in a murder case investigation.

Type S Tony
04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I suppose, but i still think its dirty when u get done by an undercover! or a speed camera thats on a downhill slope or a speed camera thats hidden just on the apex of a bend or a speed camera when the signage is literaly like 10M before the camera!

aaronng
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I suppose, but i still think its dirty when u get done by an undercover! or a speed camera thats on a downhill slope or a speed camera thats hidden just on the apex of a bend or a speed camera when the signage is literaly like 10M before the camera!

In Sydney, you get 3 signs before a camera. So even if the sign is 10m before the camera, there are 2 more before that which you should be able to see.

Undercover is a different story :(

l3vnd1
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Undercover cops.

Whenever I see a Ford/Holden/Mitsubishi 380 behind me I drive like an old lady.

Its amazing also how many times they have tried to instigate a race by tailgating or accelerating hard. You just know its a cop with their tinted windows.

As aaronng said - they are a different breed to the rest of the police force. Thats why my respect amongst the force varies accordingly.

beeza
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM

It makes you wonder dosen't it??

Webby_roller
04-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Take one for the team. Crash when you get blinded and then sue the traffic authority for causing accidents with the flash from the van.

The amount of times i have thought of that.... LOL.... I wonder if it would work in court??? But then watch, they will end up going to infared flashes. Then you wont even know you have been done till a month later :(

James Dean
04-05-2009, 06:57 PM

I have to say, i have heard just that to many times.

By me speeding down that street, if i hit a manhole or a bumb and loose control swerve across the street and hit a family going home and instantly kill them on impact, doesn't that make me a "murderer" (Yes i know, murder needs intent). So by the traffic team being out in force and stopping me (or at least trying) they are diffusing a situation that could potentially result in death.

4age8u
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I have to say, i have heard just that to many times.

By me speeding down that street, if i hit a manhole or a bumb and loose control swerve across the street and hit a family going home and instantly kill them on impact, doesn't that make me a "murderer" (Yes i know, murder needs intent). So by the traffic team being out in force and stopping me (or at least trying) they are diffusing a situation that could potentially result in death.

disagree respectfully offcourse..speedcamera on the way to sunnycoast..straight line no bumps blah blah...speedlimit 110..dont get it??yyyyy?

anyways ive seen heaps around northside brisbane...Mitchelton,milton,gaythorne,

beeza
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Once they have a reason to justify thier actions,where is the limit to how far they will take those actions and what determines that limit? Does a limit even exist?

FLICK
04-05-2009, 11:20 PM
My customer is the RTA. Im a pest controller so i spray these speed camera BOXES ( lil greyish/blueish box beside or a couple meter away from the actual cameras). on a regular basis. At first i thought one post was a radar and the other was the camera, i was wrong. The RTA rep who assisted me out on the Job told me one post is the flash and the other is the camera. If both sides of the road is 4 lanes or less then it will flash oncoming traffic. 4 lanes or more then you will notice there are a camera on each side. The reason this is because they dont have the capacity or length to travel the cable through six lanes.

Next time you drive pass a speed camera you will notice grooves and stripes in the road. That is the LOOP which detect how fast your going...

If your curious whats in those lil boxes.Its just a harddrive with all our fines ready to be processed and a few redbacks spiders. LOL.

Hope this answer the question.

hotdc2
05-05-2009, 01:31 AM
In Sydney, you get 3 signs before a camera.

I was so used to this that when I went to Woolongong there was a speed camera with only one sign 10m or so before it and it was right on a bend. I drove past it thinking I still had a couple of signs to slow down to make sure I was definitely under the speedlimit whilst passing it and come around the bend and bam there it is hidden behind some trees. I was so shocked slammed on the brakes and realised I was doing under the speed limit anyway so I was okay. lol but everytime I drive past it I shake my head and wonder why the RTA needs to resort to such underhanded tactics.

beeza
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
That's more warning than we get in QLD.There is NO warning here now.

Thanks Flick!

Riced_Civic
19-05-2009, 04:30 PM
just a quick Q do the cars with the 2 black boxes on the bumper detect both going and on coming traffic or just going?

no flash box nothing i think the laser detecting 1

i saw the guy inside the car he was just sitting in the passenger seat