PDA

View Full Version : b16a using oil

ekfour97
29-04-2009, 07:35 AM
oh no....ive realized my 97 b16a is using oil . has used about 1.5 litres in past 3800kms. car/motor done 108000kms...doesnt blow smoke---only a little when in vtec...usual i thought....used to use 200ml-500ml in 5000km period.a mate reckons valve stem seals....me im not sure.no visual leaks anywhere.no oil in coolant......car does get DRIVEN ALOT IN VTEC...what do you guys think ? cheers

aaronng
30-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd also check for a worn PCV valve.

hisoka
30-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I'd also check for a worn PCV valve.

is that when oil just shoots out ? into the intake and is burnt up.

i had same problem with my wrx and after a power fc tune it fixed itself.

prior to that i found oil in intercooler and everything else lol

JDM EK9
30-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Vtec Uses more engine oil then other cars....

dsp26
30-04-2009, 04:51 PM
^^^exactly

but i can see where he's coming from, on engines with already weak rings the engine burns more oil in the high cam due to the higher combustion pressures

aaronng
30-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Vtec Uses more engine oil then other cars....

I tested by running my engine from 5000rpm to 7000rpm for 90 minutes total in a day using full throttle, but I didn't burn any oil..... I did consume 29L/100km of petrol. So your statement should be Vtec uses more petrol than other (small engine) cars. :p

FastFwd
30-04-2009, 05:35 PM
ekfour97 im in the process of rebuilding mine cos my rings are gone but just to let you know i was going through about 1 litre every 5 thou and my rings need replacing but the car didnt smoke one bit. Smoked a little out of the oil breather tho.

Limbo
30-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Just a thought FastFwd do you have enough pressure release in your rocker cover?
your boosted now also, could be blow-by and not a ring problem at all.......

ekfour97- do a good service, with decent oil, clean out PCV valve & throttle body.
You may find your problem reduced or maybe even gone

FastFwd
30-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Just a thought FastFwd do you have enough pressure release in your rocker cover?
your boosted now also, could be blow-by and not a ring problem at all.......

Pressure release as in Oil breather?

I have oil catch and oil breather directly connected to my cover.

aaronng
30-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Pressure release as in Oil breather?

I have oil catch and oil breather directly connected to my cover.

Where is your oil catch can connected between?

ekfour97
30-04-2009, 09:34 PM
thanx guyz bin busy...its only been in last 3800 ks that has used oil.b4 that 300-500ml.oil changes every 5000ks.have always vtecd alot NEVER used much oil previosly.what is pcv valve and what is its process.looks like a trip to a mechanic.$$$$..have compression test done possibly....besides honda, anyone know a gd 1 in adelaide at all that knows hondas....cheers

dsp26
30-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Where is your oil catch can connected between?

also the normal way of hooking up catch cans for NA's isn't the same for a forced induction... because of the pressure on the intake side it will keep the pcv valve shut and prevent venting of the crankcase towards the IM

FastFwd
01-05-2009, 02:33 AM
You can either put the catch between tube from the intake to the valve cover. This will make it legal so. Or you can block off the intake side and put a oil breather on the top side of the catch can but this is illegal as its venting engine gasses that dont pass through the catalitic converter.

aaronng
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
You can either put the catch between tube from the intake to the valve cover. This will make it legal so. Or you can block off the intake side and put a oil breather on the top side of the catch can but this is illegal as its venting engine gasses that dont pass through the catalitic converter.

Then your catch can is not doing it's full job. Most of your engine oil goes from the PCV into the intake manifold. Look for a tube running out from the intake manifold which goes into the block. The catch can should go in between there.

aaronng
01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
also the normal way of hooking up catch cans for NA's isn't the same for a forced induction... because of the pressure on the intake side it will keep the pcv valve shut and prevent venting of the crankcase towards the IM

Yeah, you have to put the catch can from the PCV and have the outlet at the intake arm before the turbo. Downside is your compressor can get coated with oil.

ekfour97
02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
hey spoke to honda----they suggest upgrading from feo to s/ting heavier...they tell me they tell all there vtir owners---integra,prelude as well---2 watch oil levels as they can sometimes use a bit...they also say the s2000's use a bit....almost due for change..will upgrade to heavier oil and see the diff....

aaronng
02-05-2009, 09:12 AM
hey spoke to honda----they suggest upgrading from feo to s/ting heavier...they tell me they tell all there vtir owners---integra,prelude as well---2 watch oil levels as they can sometimes use a bit...they also say the s2000's use a bit....almost due for change..will upgrade to heavier oil and see the diff....

PCV valve is cheap to replace. Do that first. If it still consumes oil, then use 1 grade heavier (0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40) until you save enough to get your valve stem seals checked.

ekfour97
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
yeah ill change pcv valve thanks see what happens.....and whereabouts is it????

JDM EK9
03-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Yea thats what i mean ....but thanks anyway for correcting...

Not true. Vtec does NOT consume any oil when it is operating it's only a switch in operating conditions and not connected to the combustion chamber in any way.

You may be able to say operators cause their cars to burn more oil because they are always operating in the upper rpm range to hear Vtec but the mechanical system Vtec has nothing to do with burning more oil.

aaronng
03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
yeah ill change pcv valve thanks see what happens.....and whereabouts is it????

Look for a tube that goes from the intake manifold to the block. THe PCV valve is either along the tube, or on the block where the tube connects to.

Found a pic for B series
http://technet.ff-squad.com/how-to/sk2im/sk2im.12.jpg

Limbo
05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
hey arrong that's a dc2 isn't it?
i'm pretty sure the ek4s have them closer to the block, just between the 4 intake runners on the manifold
The PCV looks identical though except mine is grey

aaronng
05-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah that's an old one. The newer models like the EK4 doesn't have that black box and goes straight into the block.

dsp26
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Look for a tube that goes from the intake manifold to the block. THe PCV valve is either along the tube, or on the block where the tube connects to.

Found a pic for B series

you know i've been wondering for ages what the pcv valve had to do with oil consumption and why everyone keeps saying to change it for seemingly irelevant symptoms.

I replaced mine yesterday along with an IM and catch can install and go figure, my car stopped burning oil just as i purchased and installed a catch can.

Upon closer inspection of the old PCV valve, no amount of cleaning would fix it... seems to be stuck open? Therefore at idle when vacuum is highest it's just sucking oil from the block. Inspected the old IM and plenum and chamber was drenched in mucky oil.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: