PDA

View Full Version : good exhaust or good cams first?

connorling
02-05-2009, 03:42 AM
hi there, i am looking at buying a BC exhaust, which cost around 1170 deliveried new.
then i saw this place in WA which sell a BC cams(both EX and IN) for 1200

i was wondering which one i should go for,

consideration such as:
installation
power gains
future uses( might turbo or All motor)
drivability
etc

PS: this is for a JDM b18c VtiR in EG hatch

thanks

geeang
02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Exhaust first, if you get cams you'll need to get them installed properly + tuned properly in order to see any decent gains.
Plus there's no real point working the engine first if it can't breathe properly, best mods to go first are I/H/E (Intake/Headers/Exhaust), and THEN go from there.

OMG.JAI xD
02-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Bolt on mods are always easier as a first add on.

Remember that when you change cams you are changing every spec in the valvetrain.
Cam angle, duration, lift and all that mumbo jumbo.

Some cams wont work without adjustable cam gears.
Not only that. Some cams wont even idle with stock ecu.

If you get cams you need to do abit of research (unless there is already info on it about the cams).
Youll need to know if there are any other valvetrain components thatll need to be changed to accomodate for the bigger cam lobes and profile on the ones youre getting.

Im not sure, but hey, maybe the cams youre getting might work on stock setup, Im not a parts wizz.

Just pointing out my point that, an exhaust is a bolt on bolt off mod. No hassles unless it isnt OEM fitment.
Cams are very complicated and if not done right, it can actually cause engine damage and most probably not make as much power as the exhaust.

Hoped that helped a bit.

connorling
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
i got a AFC neo with stock ecu, u think cams is ok to be tuned by afc neo??

i actually have a press bent exhaust 2.25", do u still think i should get the exhaust first??

or 5 plug clutch and lighten flywheel?

dsp26
03-05-2009, 02:27 AM
if you plan on getting both anyway then get your cams first... so you can plan the size of your exhaust as well as to decide on 4-2-1 or 4-1 or tri-y headers to make the most of your cams.

and dude.. fyi i ordered my buddy club cams from the usa ~AU$800 shipped new.

what b18 motor do you have? if its an R/c7 then your springs are fine for the BC cams.. should be a straight drop in and your CR is sufficient.

zhangjing1987
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM
if i were u i probably get the exhaust first
when u change the cams u have to change the valve springs as well cause the stock afford the new cams i reckon and u have to get a aftermarket ecu for new cams let me know if i wrong

ksl
05-05-2009, 01:37 AM
i would go the exhaust first, you need the basic setup of the car like intake, full exhaust system before going to the engine work.
If you change the cam etc, you will increase your power, but you need to have good air flow in order to work together.
Installation cost is alot more than just bolting on the exhaust. + you may need tuning for new cam

connorling
05-05-2009, 05:00 AM
if i were to get the exhaust, and i think i am going to turbo it by the end of this yr, then do u think i still can use this exhaust for the turbo set up?

CRXDEL501
05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
always start with the basics. i/h/e.
cams + tune later on.

hotdc2
07-05-2009, 02:51 PM
if i were to get the exhaust, and i think i am going to turbo it by the end of this yr, then do u think i still can use this exhaust for the turbo set up?

unless the exhaust your getting is 3in then no.
if you're going to turbo it soon then save your money for then.

blyl
07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
if you going to turbo it, probably do everything in the same go, you need to re-tune the car