PDA

View Full Version : Why does my amp cut out ?

FR33K
31-10-2004, 01:22 PM
like the title says
after listening to my system for a while pretty loud.. say 10 mins or so... my amp will cut out.. then after a while it will come back on..
anyone help me out here ?
thanks

aznsiko
31-10-2004, 01:28 PM
yeah bro.. check ur power wiring... if everyfing secure it cud b that ur battery not strong enough... so it cuts out wen not enuf power... if it aint ur battery den i can only say ur amp is faulty..

wynode
31-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I get the same thing, and only my sub amp seems to cut out.

I'm thinking its my battery (over 2.5 years old easily).

BlakTegra
31-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Does ur interior lights dim on hard pounding thumps of bass?

FR33K
31-10-2004, 04:44 PM
hmmmmmm it dims very slightly...
and on some songs it seems to cut out on exactly the same part of the song each time..
id watch the green light on the amp and it will turn off then come back on on certain parts of songs...
and another thing.. when i brake it gets louder lol

civic__dd
31-10-2004, 04:46 PM
You need to check your power and remote lines. If you have a multi metre you will be able to use that. I would say it may be a problem with your cables. It may not be grouded properly.

jimmeh
31-10-2004, 10:09 PM
if an amp is under heavy load for a while then it goes into protect mode. basically uv cooked the amp. how big is ur powerful is the amp that are driving the subs. i always tend to buy an amp that exceeds the speakers. ie if u have a 100w speaker i use a 200w amp so if im driving the system really hard the amp is only operating at half of its cabability.

FR33K
01-11-2004, 01:37 PM
oh ok hmmmm well the amp is response 2 x 100
the sub is a alpine type r 300wrms
i do need a bigger amp though
and i think the ground is a problem
when i press the buttons on the deck i can hear it in the speakers

J-MuN
01-11-2004, 05:38 PM
if yourr lights are dimmin.... get yourself a new altenator or jus get a capacitor installed... and check the heat of your amp when you playing.... might not be ventilated enuff to breath...if it gets too hot to touch, then get a fan in there...

noodleman27
08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
is it only cutting on high volume? if it is do you have capacitor? if you don't have a cap, you bat is probably almost dead, need replacing and best to invest on a dry cell

if you do have a cap....and this is from personal experiance, there might be a fault on the cap.

get a multimeter and check the voltage on the amps terminal and check the voltage...could be bad wiring or bad grounding

JohnnyBoy
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
hey.. mine cut's out like your's does too.. only on a really hot day 40degs, at <66% of the volume.

Also my lights dim when i have the rear demister on, or air con on.

i'm pretty sure it's my battery.. it was replaced a few years back, and it was replaced with some smaller battery.

I think it was cheap at the time, and it was enough to power the rest of the car. this was before i had any car audio, apart from the stock setup.

I think i'll go change my battery too..

anyone know where's a good place to buy an Optima Batt??

SoundStreamer
09-11-2004, 08:17 PM
by the sounds of things, if all wiring is correct i would say its just your amp overheating and going into protective mode. after a few minutes after it cools abit it comes back on? i doubt its your battery.

[s]upa_[s]aiyan
30-11-2004, 03:54 PM
this could be a really dumb question... but which one is the power wiring??
is that the one connected to the battery?

shehan
12-12-2004, 10:01 AM
As jhonny boy said..mine only cuts out on really hot or humid days.... so im guessin its an overheating problem..so whats the best way to get some air back there?????:confused:

crxzzR
16-12-2004, 01:25 AM
PC fans! 12cm 12V DC ball bearing.. lol

Fhrx
16-12-2004, 09:26 AM
FR33K, I am guessing that the issue lies with the installation. Before you go out spending thousands buying things you don't need, please bring the car down here so I can diagnose it for you.

Email me for more details.

Fhrx777@bigpond.net

wynode
16-12-2004, 10:39 AM
It might be the battery.

My system has been fine for the last few years (installed myself) and only in the last few months have I had issues with the amp cutting out when turning it up as well as the lights diming (didn't do it before). My battery is on the way out (had a few problems starting on cold nights) and I'm attributing it to that :)

Javed
16-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Might be the battery, on my old car it was. I just went and bought myself an Optima yellowtop! YUMMY! expensive but its a farkin great battery and holds a shitload of power for its size.

Dream`R
16-12-2004, 09:23 PM
This probably sounds simple but doesn't the car electronics run off the alternator when the car is running? So what does a weak battery have to do with anything?

spoonfed
20-12-2004, 07:55 AM
hey mate the reason why your amp seem to be cutting in and out is because it is getting hot so proection cut in and shut the amp down so it dosen't cook the inside of your amp your best bet to do is to go out and pruchase a mono block amp for your subs if you need help in pruchasing one i'am installer and salemans by trade so just pm i'll be glad to help but here are a few suggestion that i would by if your only running one type r i would get a kicker kx400.1 but if your got to our more get a kicker 600.1 or 1200.1 but there are cheaper options to

mugeneration
20-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Sounds like you are suffering from the same problem as me, and i was told it was my battery, but then other times it's heat. It doesnt help that its a cheap amp either :o .

If your lights are dimming replace your battery, but it couldn't hurt to ventilate your amp a bit more.

JohnnyBoy
23-12-2004, 03:49 PM
hehe.. had my car serviced and got my spark plugs replaced..

my lights don't dim anymore.. :)

even with all the air con, demister, etc switched on..

wynode
25-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Also check your connections. Poor connectors at the battery/amp terminals and/or power splitters can cause cutting out.

Especially check your batter terminal connections. I checked/cleaned my terminal connectors (still with the old battery) and its not cutting out anymore like it used to :)