PDA

View Full Version : what petrol are you using for a b18c2?

nhaniez
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
hey guys ive got a honda integra vtir b18c2. was wondering what petrol is best or what you guys use?

OMG.JAI xD
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
95 is satisfactory.
91 or 92 might and will cause pinging during take off or under heavy load. Not recommended. (however the b18c has knock sensors. Itll overcome that, But i wouldnt use it still)
98 and above is the best choice.
Providing a steady burn all the time every time.

Dont use ethanol mixed fuels. Mixed opinions on them. But IMO e10 was introduced as a alternative fuel abt 2 years ago.
Engines before then was not tested to run under those mixtures. It may work. But if something isnt prepared for it. I wouldnt use it.
Just like saying, running 20psi boost on stock motor. If it aint made for it. I wouldnt use it.

Company? I only use BP. Never had any dramas with it. They way i see it. Is if a petrol station needs a "Save 4c a litre" Then it probably isnt that good.
BP has never had to do that. Unless with their bp mastercard.
Though again it depends on the owners of the stations and how they maintain it.
I only go to one BP ever.
So if i ever have fuel related problems with my car. Out comes the lawsuit.

=]

nhaniez
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
95 is satisfactory.
91 or 92 might and will cause pinging during take off or under heavy load. Not recommended. (however the b18c has knock sensors. Itll overcome that, But i wouldnt use it still)
98 and above is the best choice.
Providing a steady burn all the time every time.

Dont use ethanol mixed fuels. Mixed opinions on them. But IMO e10 was introduced as a alternative fuel abt 2 years ago.
Engines before then was not tested to run under those mixtures. It may work. But if something isnt prepared for it. I wouldnt use it.
Just like saying, running 20psi boost on stock motor. If it aint made for it. I wouldnt use it.

Company? I only use BP. Never had any dramas with it. They way i see it. Is if a petrol station needs a "Save 4c a litre" Then it probably isnt that good.
BP has never had to do that. Unless with their bp mastercard.
Though again it depends on the owners of the stations and how they maintain it.
I only go to one BP ever.
So if i ever have fuel related problems with my car. Out comes the lawsuit.

=]
thanks for that mate yeah since ive owned my car ive only used bp but just a week ago i decide to try v power and yeah wondering what everyone using. what oil would you recommed?

nhaniez
03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
found a thread for the oil already thanks mate

hectik_7
03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Buddy straight out,
use BP Ultimate, best of the best!

ksl
03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
BP Ultimate or Mobile 8000 is the best.

joe.teg
03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Shell v power
or mobil synergy

Samm928
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
98 oct mobil.

VTECMACHINE
03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
BP Ultimate or Mobile 8000 is the best.

I agree. I mainly use BP Ulimate on my B18C7, but at times use Mobil.
Tis gay how there is only Mobil at Wakefield.

BURST
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Using vortex on my b18c7, haven't tried BP or Mobil yet.
But I get 100-120kms more per tank on vortex than v-power.

duckey
03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
v power..... its 98 octane and cheaper on tuesday and wednesday and not only that u can use the docket :P

mpk_3
03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
I used Shell V-Power on mine :thumbsup:

F.O.B Squad
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
BP Ultimate and Mobil 8000 are winners for me.

V-Power is good but i notice it tends to run out quicker compared to the above two.

V-Power racing 100 octane was really good, shame they don't have it any more.

ChiLLie
04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
yeh, gutted how that 100 octane stuff disappeared as fast as it came..

Jonno
04-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I use V-Power as BP Ulitmate is over priced, where i am and i dont have access to Mobil 8000

koevi
04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Shell V-Power ftw

morgs202
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I only ever use 98 RON, either shell or BP.

SHI-FTY
06-05-2009, 07:58 PM
mobile s8000 ftw!!

Chriskoss
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I think you guys are all forgetting petrol companies are monopolistic competition where their products are pretty much standardised.. the 4c a litre discount is to encourage more sales and does not mean at all their fuel is inferior to other companies. For example you get an extra 2c/l off if you spend 2 dollars in store, due to the fact that oil companies dont really make all that much on petrol sales (a few c/litre) and they rely on purchases in store to make most of their profit.

If you have followed the long and boring media debate on ethanol fuel, the benefits do not outweight the savings, as using e10 burns more fuel and fuel consumption goes down.. therefore not worth saving the extra 4c/l as you are actually paying more for an inferior product.

Same goes for high-octane fuels.. although its cleaner for your car.. if your looking at fuel consumption.. the higher price does not mean you get THAT much better fuel economy and the price does not outweight the benefits.

So all in all just stuck to regular/premium unleaded unless your really fussy about your car

SHI-FTY
07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I think you guys are all forgetting petrol companies are monopolistic competition where their products are pretty much standardised.. the 4c a litre discount is to encourage more sales and does not mean at all their fuel is inferior to other companies. For example you get an extra 2c/l off if you spend 2 dollars in store, due to the fact that oil companies dont really make all that much on petrol sales (a few c/litre) and they rely on purchases in store to make most of their profit.

If you have followed the long and boring media debate on ethanol fuel, the benefits do not outweight the savings, as using e10 burns more fuel and fuel consumption goes down.. therefore not worth saving the extra 4c/l as you are actually paying more for an inferior product.

Same goes for high-octane fuels.. although its cleaner for your car.. if your looking at fuel consumption.. the higher price does not mean you get THAT much better fuel economy and the price does not outweight the benefits.

So all in all just stuck to regular/premium unleaded unless your really fussy about your car

...loll

Chriskoss
08-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Whats funny.. oh is it funny to you because you can't concentrate your puny mind for 1 minute to read a big scary paragraph :P

NSPYRE
08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Mobil Synergy 8000.

as others have noted, got less km on V-Power and was pretty dirty... carbon build up on rear bar was substantially more using V-Power.

SHI-FTY
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
this is for u u nerd!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5711/07052009241t.jpg

if you dont realise we have (except u) high-compression engines in our bay and these engines we have are designed to run on premium fuel, which will add additional power and allow the motor to run smoothly and efficiently! if u were run lower the RON recommended even in the owners manual it says noticible decrease in power and efficiency and it also says we are aloud to use lower octane if it doesnt cause engine knocking and engine knocking will occur if u put a load on ur engine and its not good for your car

In your case smart ass your car was designed to run on lower RON therefore if you were to increase the RON you will have no additional power or even any benefits for that matter

NSPYRE
08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
^^^ the benefit is in the cleaners that the higher octane petrols contain. im based in canberra and there's a fellow i kno that did a test on a 4AGE using regular unleaded and Optimax (now called V-Power). here's the findings:

during my experiments i filled up the tank to overflowing point (~45L) with each type of petrol and drove the car until it was bone dry (i have always got a small jerry can in the boot)

basicly after running through a few tanks of each i came to this conclusion:
i always get about 520km from a tank of optimax and around 420km from caltex regular.

now because im a tight ahhs i want to get every last bit of value for my money so i sat down and thought about it.
optimax costs ~$1.50
regular costs ~$1.30

obviously optimax is more expensive so its straight away the least atractive of the two.
but is the extra milage i get from it worth the money spent?

on average (current costs) it costs me $67.50 to fill up with optimax and $58.50 to fill up with regular
seeing as i get 520km from optimax and 420km from regular
i pay $1.298 per km for optimax
and i pay $1.393 per km on regular

so despite the fact that it initialy costs more its actualy cheaper to get optimax
and probably better for my car too.

obviously every car is going to be different
but food for thought i guess.....

Chriskoss
08-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Who r u calling nerd.. My argument was for fuel consumption only. And as I rememeber.. I read several people saying v power etc has carbon build up and is very dirty.. so what are the advantages if A) fuel consumption is shit, and B) doesnt even clean your engine but makes it worse

so.. what to say now.. nerd?

SHI-FTY
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
lol now ur manipulating ur the nerd ur speakin to us like u no everything and we r stupid for using premium cause does nothing but use it if ur fussy i bet u dnt have a clue about hondas.. theres a section called noob on the forum check it before you enter discussions.. u were the first to be a smart ass jst because i lol'd and u cant take the fact that wat i said is true!! u prob did some research to prove me wrong but found out i was right

Chriskoss
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
lol now ur manipulating ur the nerd ur speakin to us like u no everything and we r stupid for using premium cause does nothing but use it if ur fussy i bet u dnt have a clue about hondas.. theres a section called noob on the forum check it before you enter discussions.. u were the first to be a smart ass jst because i lol'd and u cant take the fact that wat i said is true!! u prob did some research to prove me wrong but found out i was right

Ur an idiot? Yeah mate I know nuthin bout hondas.. have fun with your stock dc2 okay?

the only thing 'SHI-FTY' about you is your ability to understand what someone is saying without going straight for the kleenex and having a cry

nhaniez
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
ahahhaha thanks guys yeah ive try using v power but it runs out so quick ahahaha, after using v power i got back on bp. thanks guys =]

fitvpower
11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah i fuelled with v power 2 weeks ago and found ma car running smooth but yes it did run out pretty quick nhaniez lol
today i fuelled with mobil 8000 and found ma car drive roughly..not as smooth as v power

nhaniez
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM
ahahah thanks for that .

SHI-FTY
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Ur an idiot? Yeah mate I know nuthin bout hondas.. have fun with your stock dc2 okay?

the only thing 'SHI-FTY' about you is your ability to understand what someone is saying without going straight for the kleenex and having a cry

its far from stock my friend like wise to u have fun with your shack n stop havin a cry about me beein right n u changin it around tryin to make me wrong ur the only one dat can run shit fuel not us so dnt come n give us ur bs about petrol read the thread title "what petrol are you using for a b18c2" not b18a wrong thread boy

fitvpower
12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
ahahah thanks for that .

aiight drove my car today and for me i prefer the v power lol
mobil 8000 made my car move real rough =[

NSPYRE
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
^^^ try running it for a couple weeks, guarantee will go better.

shell has been notorious for having excessive amounts of toluene in their fuels

Chriskoss
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
its far from stock my friend like wise to u have fun with your shack n stop havin a cry about me beein right n u changin it around tryin to make me wrong ur the only one dat can run shit fuel not us so dnt come n give us ur bs about petrol read the thread title "what petrol are you using for a b18c2" not b18a wrong thread boy

Lol but my argument wasnt for my specific motor.. it was about gas mileage and cleansing the engine.
Once again learn 2 read kthxbye n00b

SHI-FTY
13-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Lol but my argument wasnt for my specific motor.. it was about gas mileage and cleansing the engine.
Once again learn 2 read kthxbye n00b

but if you new that the b18c2 is suposed to be run on premium for it to run smooth and effeciently with that tad extra power u wouldnt talk bs thats mainly why this thread was started no1 asked wat unleaded ur runin? we're lookin for opinions on good quality fuel and its benefits like its k's and extras. ur tryin to make me look stupid by twisting sh1t around i no ur arguement wasnt about ur motor but im bringing up the arguement about ur motor and im saying it doesnt benefit "premium" fuel only "unleaded" cause thats wat it was made for even if u were to put premium it aint doin nufin for u n it neva will and with the arguement about ur motor wat help and/or opinnions can u give us about fuels wen u run a diff engine to ours that cant experience a difference to give a good opinion on wat fuel, wrong thread for u mate ur useless here the poor guy who started this wanted to no wat petrol based on oppinons is good to use for his baby he neva asked for a lecture u wana talk about monopolistic go join businessfagforums.com k n00b
n also the US use the word gas for refering to petrol n we're after Ks not mileage

RtN
14-05-2009, 12:07 AM
bp ultimate.. but annoying when apparently "sorry, we're out"

_bORdO_
15-05-2009, 06:11 PM
^^^ try running it for a couple weeks, guarantee will go better.

shell has been notorious for having excessive amounts of toluene in their fuels

but i thought toluene was used to boost octane in the fuel we use :S
can u explain what the bad thing about toluene is... im confused.. also i was hell bent that v-power would be the best for b18c... gah ^_- my dreams have been shattered..

NSPYRE
15-05-2009, 06:35 PM
but i thought toluene was used to boost octane in the fuel we use :S
can u explain what the bad thing about toluene is... im confused.. also i was hell bent that v-power would be the best for b18c... gah ^_- my dreams have been shattered..

indeed it does, however excessive amounts causes poor cold start as well as poor running characteristics as it is difficult to ignite

_bORdO_
15-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I understand now, thanks XD
so you think mobil for the win?

NSPYRE
15-05-2009, 06:43 PM
^^^ each to their own mate :)

i just use mobil personally as for me it has run the cleanest

_bORdO_
15-05-2009, 06:52 PM
yeah thats fair, although i think ill agree with you on this one. Mobil ftw!
i'm very new to the honda experience.. and i get very excited with all the little mod im achieveing gradually...
ill take any bit of useful information i can take! plus - in honesty i have definatly noticed the low Km's im getting with v-power... Grrrrr that grinds my gears!!!

rbk_212
15-05-2009, 07:06 PM
but if you new that the b18c2 is suposed to be run on premium for it to run smooth and effeciently with that tad extra power u wouldnt talk bs thats mainly why this thread was started no1 asked wat unleaded ur runin? we're lookin for opinions on good quality fuel and its benefits like its k's and extras. ur tryin to make me look stupid by twisting sh1t around i no ur arguement wasnt about ur motor but im bringing up the arguement about ur motor and im saying it doesnt benefit "premium" fuel only "unleaded" cause thats wat it was made for even if u were to put premium it aint doin nufin for u n it neva will and with the arguement about ur motor wat help and/or opinnions can u give us about fuels wen u run a diff engine to ours that cant experience a difference to give a good opinion on wat fuel, wrong thread for u mate ur useless here the poor guy who started this wanted to no wat petrol based on oppinons is good to use for his baby he neva asked for a lecture u wana talk about monopolistic go join businessfagforums.com k n00b
n also the US use the word gas for refering to petrol n we're after Ks not mileage

dude could you try spacing a paragraph and using to some punctuation, and calm down while your at it

however i do agree with you, the b18c2 shouldnt be run on anything less than 95ron, even though it has knock sensors and using lower octane wont really damage the engine.

its just about care for the car, good fuel means a healthier engine for longer

oh and FYI putting 98 in your 95 tuned car wont give it any more power than 95, people just like to run it because its safe and ensures the engine runs well

oh and a question for everyone, whats the opinions on e10 ethanol fuel? do you think its damaging or just burns quicker?

SHI-FTY
16-05-2009, 11:40 AM
dude could you try spacing a paragraph and using to some punctuation, and calm down while your at it

however i do agree with you, the b18c2 shouldnt be run on anything less than 95ron, even though it has knock sensors and using lower octane wont really damage the engine.

its just about care for the car, good fuel means a healthier engine for longer

oh and FYI putting 98 in your 95 tuned car wont give it any more power than 95, people just like to run it because its safe and ensures the engine runs well

oh and a question for everyone, whats the opinions on e10 ethanol fuel? do you think its damaging or just burns quicker?

obviously i agree about our 95 tuned engnes using 98 dats very tru but with ur Q about e10 i agree to wat "OMG.JAI xD" said down in page 1 "e10 was introduced as a alternative fuel abt 2 years ago.
Just like saying, running 20psi boost on stock motor. If it aint made for it. I wouldnt use it."
my dad also reckons it burns quicker n he gets less ks with it but not too sure never used it on any of my cars

rbk_212
16-05-2009, 03:49 PM
obviously i agree about our 95 tuned engnes using 98 dats very tru but with ur Q about e10 i agree to wat "OMG.JAI xD" said down in page 1 "e10 was introduced as a alternative fuel abt 2 years ago.
Just like saying, running 20psi boost on stock motor. If it aint made for it. I wouldnt use it."
my dad also reckons it burns quicker n he gets less ks with it but not too sure never used it on any of my cars

yeah the fact it would get less k's i understand, but im sort of split on whether its actually damaging, like 20 pound of boost is VERY different to a slightly different fuel mixture.

the fuel may have only been just released but it was released with the intention on being compatible with all unleaded cars. i wouldnt be running a really high percentage of ethanol but as its only 10% im sort of struggling to see how it could do damage..

saikou27
17-05-2009, 10:41 AM
yeah the fact it would get less k's i understand, but im sort of split on whether its actually damaging, like 20 pound of boost is VERY different to a slightly different fuel mixture.

the fuel may have only been just released but it was released with the intention on being compatible with all unleaded cars. i wouldnt be running a really high percentage of ethanol but as its only 10% im sort of struggling to see how it could do damage..

ethanol can have different effects on different cars. my grandfather started using e10 when it first came to the pump on his 98 pulsar and it ran excessively hot and the head deveoloped a crack:confused:

his mechanic warned him not to use the fuel and after swapping a new head onto it he has had no proplems for almost 2 years and 60,000

joe.teg
25-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I filled up mobil 8000 on tuesday. $30 got me 3/4 of a tank and lasted me till monday :D

Chriskoss
25-05-2009, 01:04 PM
SHIFTY man u got shut the fuk down by more than 2 people.. time to surrender man you know nuthing, kapish..

Yea bag me out cuz I know shit about the economy.. keep workin at kmart k u 'n00b'.. U must think ur tough nuts using 0's instead of o's you illiterate gronk

Toilet
25-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I just read through this whole thread. Interesting and quite entertaining.
Thanks guys.

imratedpg
25-05-2009, 02:02 PM
mobil 8000! i used to use v power until i tried mobil 8000 got 450k's from mobile and makes my car more smooth, havnt tried bp ultimate yet

saikou27
25-05-2009, 02:36 PM
ive used shell v power for a while and i must say i was not impressed. i dont bother with it anymore and just run 95ron shell or if i want 98 i look elsewhere for bp ultimate or mobil if its cheap enough lol

joe.teg
25-05-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah same here

i used v power for a while and it was crap... crap fuel economy, crap running and crap power... mobil 8000 shits on it, smoother running, more economy and definately more power

_bORdO_
25-05-2009, 08:06 PM
saikou27 im 100% with you there! not impressed with v-power...
joe.teg same deal, 100% with you...
even though it only been 1 week with using mobil - definately noticed differences with the mobility of my teg.
*cheers for mobil*

Honda_machine1
25-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Ethanol has less energy per mol compared to petrol, hence why it produces less power. For each mole theres only 1/2 the power.

Ethanol has a higher ignition temperature

Ethanol is highly miscible in water and such can easily be contaminated. The fact that this is seen as a 'lower' grade fuel makes this worse.

Ethanol doesn't provide the same lubrication as petrol as its surface tension and viscosity are completely different

It can do damage by increasing the temperature at the heads due to its higher ignition temp.

Also u look at cars that have fuel/gas...there bad cars that are setup on only fuel or just gas run fine if there tuned to suit that.

If you had a car that was adequatly tuned to ethanol mixture, you would find it would run fine. But most cars are tuned to premium fuel so the facyt that theres ethanol in there, in a sense its an impurity (it dsnt fire as well as what petrol does)