PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Brands

jay-bee'z
31-10-2004, 04:11 PM
hey guys, im building a new audio setup for my integra, and i was wondering what everyones favourite brands to go for as in if they were in my shoes, going for a new setup..so i can get a broad range of answers and see what comes up the most (trusted)...

here's my list. - hoping what ive picked looks good to all you experienced enthusiates :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headunits: ----- PIONEER

Coxial & Components: ---- KICKER, JL AUDIO, BOSTON ACOUSTICS
(this is a broad range, and im very undecided on this one, feel free to add a few):

Amplifiers: ---- CADENCE, COUSTIC

Sub-Woofers: ----- ROCKFORD FOSGATE, New Kenwoods any good???
-havent a clue, theres billions to pick from- (after a single 12" so can you base your preference on that, thnx.)

Wiring: -i have no idea-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
and thats about it i think.
I will be eagarly awaiting your reponses :)
Thanks

[Jb'z]

Fhrx
03-11-2004, 08:27 AM
With the upmost respect, many of the brands you have listed there are not considered high end at all sorry mate. Some of the best brands in the world are:

Headunits:
McIntosh, Becker, Nakamichi, Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer

Amps:
Audison, ARC Audio, Zapco, Boston, Tru-Tech, Phoenix Gold, Morellion, McIntosh, a/d/s, Butler, Brax, U-dimension, Xtant, Diamond, Eton, Phass, Vibe

Splits:
Rainbow, Boston, Morel, DynAudio, Diamond, Image Dynamics, Phoenix Gold, Phass, Eton, Focal, Hertz, Vibe

Subs:
Image Dynamics, Adire, Hertz, Boston, Phoenix Gold, Xtant, Rainbow, Diamond, JL Audio, Kicker, Vibe, RE Audio

And that is just to mention some. :)

[zeth]
03-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Headunits:
Pioneer, clarion

Amps:
Boston

Splits:
Boston

Subs:
Dunno yet

kenshin
03-11-2004, 10:00 AM
bah... sif be tied to brand loyalty...
i buy whats good for the price i want to spend...

after saying that i kinda like jvc headunits myself :D
i know the controls and where everything is most of the time

jay-bee'z
03-11-2004, 06:59 PM
damn FHRX, never heard of those brands...must be some top notch o'seas stuff, but i guess my question was meant to be like common stuff u can buy at autobarn & JB hifi etc, as to choosing audio gear in general ... eg: stay away from sony

simpdogg
03-11-2004, 08:06 PM
When i did my system, i went for pioneer, 12 inch sub & 6x9's, i put in a set of 6 inches in the front running of my old head unit, its a crappy sony!!!

but from what ive learnt acoustics in a car arnt really great unless you go nuts and fibre glass the casings etc for a better sound in the end no matter what brand you purchase the qaulity will all be roughly the same, and it comes down to paying for a name.
from having a really awesome clarion cd player and headunit and going back to my sony in my opinion its better to have a awesome head unit, and really good clear qaulity sound, let us know what you decide id be interested to know how you went

Paul
03-11-2004, 09:33 PM
I have Pioeer and Cadence all the way through and used Aerpro Wiring, all of which i am very happy with. Good luck with getting your system. Alpine adn Kicker excellent products but expensive also for speaker MB Quarts sound great. However if your on a budget Pioneer will do the job justr as well.
Have you got any idea how much you want to spend on your system and will you install it?

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P 5660MP
Stacker: Pioneer CDX-P680
Front Stage: Pioneer TS-C1625
Rear Fill: Pioneer TS-G 1647
Sub: Pioneer 305C
Sub Amp: Cadence Q3000

Im still adding to this system as soon as my rear end is straightened!

J-MuN
03-11-2004, 10:41 PM
yo jay-bee'z where you from?... ok to my recommendations?..

headunits
-pioneer
-alpine (if you got that kinda money although i reckon go pioneer)

splits
-JL Audio
-MB Quart
-Audiobahn (not freakin AUTOBAHN)
-Cadence

amps
-JL Audio
-Alpine
-Cadence
-Coustic (budget but farkin value for money)
-Audison

subs
-JL Audio W7 or W6
-Cadence
-Audiobahn
-Kicker

all those are awesome.. go to JB and listen to different ones... i've got pretty much Pioneer DEHP8650MP as my HU and Cadence CVL-6K splits n jus JL TR690 (6x9) rears as fills as they are factory fits... amps are JL and sub is JL... if you are willing to fork out lil extra and you definitely want SQ not something loud, then go JL... my w6 is freakin loud but its real tight clean bass...

jus using a cadence capacitor..oh and wiring i'm using all Stinger... stinger terminals too...

projekt kal
04-11-2004, 12:41 AM
wat do u guys think of blaupunkt???

the bosch discount is pretty tempting :D

J-MuN
04-11-2004, 10:14 AM
yeh blaupunkt is good...only depending wat series...

jay-bee'z
04-11-2004, 06:01 PM
yo, im from brisbane for those who dont know. and yeah im probablly going to check out some ALPINE headunits this weekend cause i've decided as much as i like pioneer, i dont like the look of most of them (with the expection for the DEH-8650MP which is 1400RRP so there goes that idea) but yeah im considering 1stly - alpine, and if out of my budget (around 300-400 i wanna spend atm) then i "might" look at clarion, but i havent had good experiences with clarion speakers so i lost the trust in that brand. but the cd's players do look good, so yeh or i might have to settle with pioneer. BUT yeah i've decided on splits (was tossing up weather or not to go splits cause of the hassel of mounting the tweeter but yeah, ill do it)....and somebody asked about install....i will get autobarn to install everything at once i rekon is the go.

but yes i will keep posted, im thinking this is how i might end up

HU: Alpine ($400 or so hopefully on sale? perhaps)
Splits: Kicker/JL Audio (on sale at JB hifi, 200bucks!!)
Amp: Cadence (4 channel, something or other $400max)
Sub: OPEN TO SUGGESTION = LOST ATM. :) (looking at 1x12", 150 odd dollar's)

thnx for the replies.

[Jb'z]

J-MuN
04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
go the JL Audio splits.... they are the TR650csi.. hehe i work in the carsound department at JB in melbourne (thats why i know the model no. , thought it might make it easier to distinguish the different models by jus giving them straight to you :p)... in a car you'll hear a HUGE differents between the JL's and Kickers.. Sub wise, do u want custom box or factory boxes?... if you wanna spend bout $300-400 on sub in box then get the Cadence UD-12... in box it'll be the Cadence BB-UD124..

civic__dd
05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
I have dd amps and subs in my car and they are fantastic. The woofers weight 28kg's each. DD hold 5-8 world records with there subs. take a look at www.ddaudio.com.au

Here is a sig from another site.
Car 97 Civic sedan (with 2x 100ah Deep cycle battery)
Source Eclipse 8443
High 4x Peerless 1" tweets 811435
Mid 4x Peerless 6.5" mids 850467
Low 2x Peerless 8" woofers 850136
Full Range Amp Visonik V4218
Subs 2x DD 9515 's (when they get here)
Sub Amps 4x DD m1's

jay-bee'z
05-11-2004, 08:30 PM
hmm yeah i hope those JL audio splits are still for sale ay, i want them now :)....and as far as DD, sounds pretty underground, where do u buy these brand of subs at?

civic__dd
05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
LOL undergroud with that many wr's? They have dealers all over the country where are you at?

jay-bee'z
06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
im in qld...maybe speciality stores have them i guess, gold coast car sound or whateva, but autobarn/jb hfi i have yet to seen this DD gear...so u swear by it obviosly yeh?

civic__dd
06-11-2004, 01:22 PM
If your a goldi guy you should remember incar audio, Incars owner imports dd. i think they closed the brickworks store because dd was a bigger busness than he thought it would be. Take a look at the next bas or spl day and you will see heaps of there gear. Ile see where you can test some if you want.

zco
06-11-2004, 01:32 PM
any one ever heard of infinity- kappa subs.? i've heard a frends set of 12's.. and they pretty good.. what you guys reckon

J-MuN
06-11-2004, 09:16 PM
I have dd amps and subs in my car and they are fantastic. The woofers weight 28kg's each. DD hold 5-8 world records with there subs. take a look at www.ddaudio.com.au

DD subs?.. hmm gotta say that i've never heard them before.. asked my work mate, whos been around dis industry for yeeeears and he's never come across that brand... world records?.. doubt it man..

civic__dd
06-11-2004, 09:20 PM
you dont make a 30kg woofer and not get respect man look here guys http://www.teamdd.net/tdd/results.asp

PERTH_EURO
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
hmm dd yes. u got plenty of $$$

Kick ass subs

Fhrx
07-11-2004, 10:47 AM

Here is a sig from another site.
Car 97 Civic sedan (with 2x 100ah Deep cycle battery)
Source Eclipse 8443
High 4x Peerless 1" tweets 811435
Mid 4x Peerless 6.5" mids 850467
Low 2x Peerless 8" woofers 850136
Full Range Amp Visonik V4218
Subs 2x DD 9515 's (when they get here)
Sub Amps 4x DD m1's

Just remember that while DD subs and amplifiers are quite well built and very powerful, there are better around. DD subs are escpecialyl good for SPL, but then again so are things like IDMAX, RE Audio and Adire too. :):)

It's all about personal tastes. Some of my customers love DD, some don't. Each to their own.

In my opinion the best amps are Zapco C2K's, TT Coppers and ARC XXK's. :D

Javed
07-11-2004, 01:37 PM
DD subs?.. hmm gotta say that i've never heard them before.. asked my work mate, whos been around dis industry for yeeeears and he's never come across that brand... world records?.. doubt it man..

Well then you're mate obviously does not know his shit.

jay-bee'z
07-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Ok just had a peep at JB Hifi....they are JL Audio TSR-650Csi Splits, $200 bucks, sounds good to me, and then they had some Kicker Splits for like the same price, the new ones...they seem to be a good seller, but i might go Kicker 6" for the rear, JL audio splits for the front. and as far as Subs for some reason I have a new favourite!, 12" AudioBahn, something about it, looks like quality to me, and built in USA..price is reasonable, looks the part, yeah i think i might go that, anyone heard them/ like them?

the only problem is head unit, couldnt check out alpine HU's cause the shop was closed, but they have some damn cheap sony ones at JB, or pioneer i like, but some of them may not suit my black consol in my car....decisions decisions

I want a gunmetal coloured unit, and somewith with a modern, bright display..any suggestions

J-MuN
07-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Well then you're mate obviously does not know his shit.

hahaha.... highly unlikely man... maybe a company that aint too big on the market.. dont distribute to many... probably why.. well, DD sounds like its more SPL than SQ so thats probably why i havent heard much bout them.. not really into SPL... fair enuff... as said by others, car audio is very much personal tastes... for me?.. you cant go wrong with the JL 13W7.. bass as tight as you can get.. :p

Javed
10-11-2004, 12:43 PM
W7 is a nice sub. Good choice J-mun. DD subs can be made to sound good also. Focal utopia's thats what im talkin bout, mmmmmmmm. Call me a focal fanboy :P

Edit: Oh an jaybeez, get a clarion unit :)