PDA

View Full Version : need help with front lower controll arm screwy nutty thingy thing.

RandyRhydah
05-05-2009, 10:19 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_4f2682a0f88e4322bc4ee0900963dee5.jpg

that one there. it turns out 3 folded up towls over it wasnt thick engough to protect it against my wacking it wish a hammer to get it out.. and now putting it back together after taking the axel out ive f**ked the thread and the bolt wont go on anymore.. do you think it will be safe to just file the 2 bottom rings in the thread down so the nut can screw on or what else could i do? ive tried getting a pick and sort of trying to rethread it with no success..

any advice would be awesome.

DvSnGuYeN
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
from a non-professional, DIY POV, I'd say file it down till ya can get the nut threaded on... but don't find too much, just enough to whack your nut on...

lookingforboost
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
man you have stuffed the thread on the lower ball joint..... take the arm back out and take it to a shop and get them to press a new ball joint into it dont file it away if it fails you could damage the / get hurt, from hitting it you could have damaged the ball joint anyway so it might start knocking etc

there is a special place you hit them to get them to come off your not supposed to hit the bottom of the bolt / thread :P

new ball joint should be about 70-100 pressed in just ring around first

aaronng
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
That looks like bad thread damage on that bolt. If it was mild, I'd say clean the thread with a threadcleaner, but that damage looks very bad. I'd agree with what the others have said and get a new ball joint pressed in.

tseesinngwailo
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Supercheap have some cool ball joint removers, was only $20 or something and works by a bolt pushing the ball joint out without damage, highly recommended rather than whacking it with a hammer, but yeah, i'd be replacing the ball joint to be sure.

B18cEG
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
just get a thread chaser ot a die of the correct size and just go over the bolt again, on the other hand whenever doing something like this where you need to hammer the bolt/thread always have a nut further up on there so that if the thread does get a little damaged, when you undo the nut it will repair the thread.

Good luck,

B18cEG
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
From that low res picture that thread doesnt look too bad at all, what you guys may be thinking is very bad damage is prob the split pin holes.

Paul1985
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
just get a thread chaser ot a die of the correct size and just go over the bolt again, on the other hand whenever doing something like this where you need to hammer the bolt/thread always have a nut further up on there so that if the thread does get a little damaged, when you undo the nut it will repair the thread.

Good luck,

I got a new OEM honda ball joint for around $70 i think off memory and pressed it in at a workmates house (has a press).

He made up a special press piece for it on the laithe and we still had so much hassle that we ended up hammering the joints back in via a vice (mind you, we had a perfect fitting adaptor made up from a lathe so it wouldnt hit the wrong parts of the joint). If you look at the way the knuckle is moulded its near impossible to situate it in a press correctly to install a ball joint unless you have all the appropriate equipment...

I think a shop would charge you quiet a sum to press it in. I was charged $40 on a different car for ball-joints pressed in.

$100 - $200 i would expect including the joint.

Definately try run a die over it/file the threads out with small file/thread file. However you can. If you can repair it good. If not it's going to be a hassle.

RandyRhydah
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
the threads not badly damaged as it may look in the pic its just the first ring in the thread has been pushed in a little so the nut cant get started. i will try to file it iff not ill get my mechanic to look over it

dumped echo
11-05-2009, 02:57 PM
File the thread till you can spin on a die...then put the nut on.

If the damaged thread is not where the nut sits when tightened...it should be ok
Make sure you still use the split pin though