PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs drowned in oil

shitbox
07-05-2009, 02:15 PM
just got a 89 ed 3 door civic with twin carby engine i pulled off the two end leads and the spark plugs are submerged in oil.. any idea's? ur help is much appretiated thanks

SHOGUNOVDDRK
07-05-2009, 02:27 PM
hahahahahahaha.
I'd like to know too.
I put It as honda's way of welcoming you to old school.
I had the same problem with my civic, replaced the sparks and the car is still going like a champ.

FastFwd
07-05-2009, 02:31 PM
My guess is valve cover seal is busted and oil is dripping into the spark plug chambers.

CRXer
07-05-2009, 02:52 PM
as above,pull the valve cover off the motor & inspect & replace all the seals that are damaged or gone hard.

make sure u tighten the cover down evenly across all the nuts when replacing.

try to clean as much oil as possible out of the spark plug wells,old engine oil can become conductive with age & contamination & will cause misfiring.

shitbox
07-05-2009, 03:06 PM
ok cool, hopefully it is only the gasket and not somthing more serious ill go pull it off now and suss it out thanks alot for ur help

FastFwd
07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
shitbox if it was something a little more serious you would notice it in the cars performance. Get some High temp silicon sealer from supercheap and put it on top for an even better seal.

SMI-33K
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
hey bro

it will be the seal between the valve cover and the spark plug tubes
pull of the valve cover and punch out the seal from the top wholes
then clean it turn it over and gentley tap the new seals in with a little bit of grease or oil till its flush

shitbox
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
yeah, problem is as above. tryed to order seal's from supercheap twice and the reatards have stuffed it up twice, gone to someone else and hopefully will get seals tomorow. thanks for the help

dsp26
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
a few of the traders here sell it

FastFwd
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
just go to your closest honda dealer. They will usually have them in stock and if not it will take 1-2 days to get in.

dsp26
11-05-2009, 03:27 PM
just go to your closest honda dealer. They will usually have them in stock and if not it will take 1-2 days to get in.

highly doubt it he's got an 89 model carby... man the 3 closest honda parts dealers in my area couldn't even get rocker cover studs for a B series... "have to order from japan", same with the rocker cover gasket...

FastFwd
13-05-2009, 08:57 AM
highly doubt it he's got an 89 model carby... man the 3 closest honda parts dealers in my area couldn't even get rocker cover studs for a B series... "have to order from japan", same with the rocker cover gasket...

Dunno what its like anywhere else but here in WA i have probably bought over 100 parts for my car over the last 2-3 years from the honda dealer and 75% of the time they are in stock and 25% are usually in melb and take 1-2 days to get in. My car is only 4 years newer than that.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Dunno what its like anywhere else but here in WA i have probably bought over 100 parts for my car over the last 2-3 years from the honda dealer and 75% of the time they are in stock and 25% are usually in melb and take 1-2 days to get in. My car is only 4 years newer than that.

lol but from what you've stated, anything import related seems more readily available in WA for some reason.. like evo's? theres not many around here.

FastFwd
13-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I understand what your saying but i couldnt imagine it being much different here to nsw/vic etc. I'm sure he could get the parts from honda and if he couldnt he would just order them and they take around 5 working days to come from japan. I've only had one thing come from japan.