PDA

View Full Version : Who else has a modded 3rd gen...

Missy
01-11-2004, 02:40 AM
Just wondering who else has a modded 3rd gen or specifically 87 civic to get idea's and help with what to do to mine. Tried searching for 87 but it said no results ( didn't even display my 87 civic post :confused: ) and 87 and civic together just brought back anything with the word civic lol.

bumography
01-11-2004, 02:57 AM
is your civic an EF?
because i think there might be 2 shapes of civics in the 87
try searching up 1988 civic, it might be made in 1987 but released in 1988 if u know what i mean.

=)

Missy
01-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Well i've been wondering that myself as looking up on carsales the 85 civic they have (which i figure would be the same body as the 87 since they don't have records of an 87) to me looks too round as well as the location of the fuel and the type of front bar to be that old so i rekon they stuck the wrong pic on :confused:

Bellow the pic from car sales are some pics of my civic, can you tell if it is an 87 or 88.... i'd be great if it was actually a 4th gen so i could use all that shelf stuff :p but I doubt it lol.

Carsales 85 model
http://www.carsales.com.au/cvr/05nvtrfp.jpg

My Car
http://genji.image.pbase.com/u33/moon_catcher/upload/35748213.car.jpg
http://genji.image.pbase.com/u33/moon_catcher/upload/35748215.car2.jpg
http://genji.image.pbase.com/u33/moon_catcher/upload/35748216.car3.jpg

bumography
01-11-2004, 03:53 AM
Puahahahaha !!!
ok
that black and white photo is of a 92+ EG civic ..
the white ones is an EF civic)
if you want to find accessories and stuff just look up 1988-91 civic, its basically the same as yours =)

Nice spoiler you got.
I think some parts from the crx (like mine) are also interchangeable with the ef civic.

What are you doing at this hour anyway?

Missy
01-11-2004, 04:11 AM
So it is an 88 model just manufactured in 87 and can use all those off the shelf 88 - 91 body kits etc?

I know we laughed when we say that pic for an 85 civic as we were sure there wouldn't have been any that curvy in the 80's but just thought surely a site like that where someone wants to "research" a car they wouldn't make a mistake like putting a pic of a later model up would they... :p

Just sitting up hear looking for stuff for the car so I have an excuse to sleep in lol.

Setanta
01-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Be very careful you don't get 3rd gen AT gear for a 4th gen ED. It won't work. bTW - if it's Aussie - you need to be looking for ED parts, NOT EF.

If that car in the pic is yours - it's a '92 -> EG :D

mytoycivic
01-11-2004, 09:54 AM
yes missy you can get off the shelf 88-91 ED kits for your car...

i was in the same dilemma as you...my car was built in december 1987 but it was a 1988 delivered car lol...i was very confused as to which i had but if you want to find things for your car, i found it will be much more effective to go and research parts and accessories for the ED civic...88-91 :D

btw the EF is the model of the CRX 88-91 and the relevant numbers for the relevant years...can somebody vouch? i think i am right.

so bumography, you are right, to a certain extent, but i think setanta is one of the only ones here in OZ with a genuine JDM EF civic standard VTEC, am i right?

ok i hope this helps out :D

Missy
01-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks i'll have a look at ED parts then. Not sure if it was made in 87 and sold in 88 was just told it was an 87 civic.

No Setanta the car in that pic isn't mine, mines the white one in the 3 pics bellow it which for some reason are no longer displaying in the post :confused:

They are stored in this pbase site if you want to see it.

http://www.pbase.com/moon_catcher/inbox

mytoycivic
01-11-2004, 09:03 PM
its an 88 model ;)

quite a nice one at that

Missy
02-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Yeah I had another look at the palt ein the engine and it says built oct 87 but has ED6 next to it.

Funny thing though all the car research sites don't have an 88 model as the only change over from the 85 is the 89 albeit exactly the same but still find it odd they show this gens release as being 89 and not 88 :confused:

mytoycivic
02-11-2004, 06:24 AM
thats wierd. on two grounds!

i have never seen them anywhere as being started in 89! usually it says something like 12/87-91 or something like that...

and secondly, how can yours be an ED6 when mine is younger and is an ED3? is it the fact that yours is a hatch and mine is sedan maybe?

*thinks*

Setanta
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
mytoycivic: ED3 = sedan, ED6 = hatch, ED9 = CRX in Australia when we are looking at the '88-'91 cars.

On what an EF is - here's an explanation:

In the period '88-'91, an EF is ANY Civic/CRX built for the Japanese market ONLY.
In the period '88-'91, an EE is ANY Civic/CRX built for the European market ONLY.
In the period '88-'91, an ED is ANY Civic/CRX built for the rest of the world (including the US, Australia and Asia. Usually they were built in Japan, but there were also factories in the US and Canada.

EDs usually have the VIN starting in JHMED as do EEs but the EF VIN just starts with EF. In fact, in Japan the EF Civic/CRX range runs EF1 through to EF9 depending on the car's spec - we only got 3 varients of it.

Basically, EDs through to the "9" were built and sold between '88 and '91, EEs and EFs through to "7" were built between '88 and '91 and the EE8 and EE9 (CRX and Civic "VT" VTEC) and EF8 and EF9 (CRX and Civic "SiR" VTEC) cars were built between '89 and '91.

...and yeah, I'm one of a few imported SiR owners in the country - but I also saw an imported XT25 Civic a few weeks ago... which is also an EF ;)

Side note: the 4th gen series wasn't sold (or even on the showroom floor) until '88 - but they did have them coming off the assembly line very late in '87 - be careful when getting parts as you may get someone supplying you with 3rd gen parts as they were still on the showroom floor in '87.