PDA

View Full Version : Amp amp amp......

Missy
01-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Okay started putting the sound in my civic. Didn't want to spend much only around $1000 total (don't need to pay for installation) and so far got a decent pioneer deck and kicker 4's in the front, got some good kenwood 6x9's that i'm gonna put in the back but they are a few years old so thinking of some new ones. Down to about 500 bucks so I can get some decent 6x9's and a cheap sub and amp easy enough questino is just which amp as i'd like to power the 6x9's with them as well.

Don't need great quality or really loud sound form the sub just need it to give some bass which is missing from the 4's and hopefully better thne the 6x9's will do so sub is most likely just gonna be a kicker 800W(125W RMS) or something similar eg around 200 bucks with box so don't need a really strong amp. Read alot about the cheap BOSS amps not giving good sound on speakers but being ok for sub use only. What's a good cheap (around $250 at most) 4 channel to power them both (don't want really crap quality from the 6x9's) or with my budget will i be better off just getting a cheap 2 channel for the sub and are the BOSS or other cheap 125W to 175W RMS amps for under 175 bucks okay for this?

Post back later with the amps i'm looking at getting after I goto some stores later this week but just want an idea before I go looking

bumography
01-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi !
missy, i think if your planning on getting a sub, then ditch the 6x9's at the back..
if you already have them, it doesnt matter.

What i suggest is that you get a 4 channel amp. preferably 50x4 or higher if possible per channel. Amp the two speakers at the front (splits would be better at the front). and bridge the two rear channels to run a sub at the back. and run your 6x9's off the headunit.

IF i were you, i'd get a $200 jaycar 150x2 (bridged to 450x1) for a sub ! which will really pump ! and find cheap second hand 2 channel amp for the front speakers.
Just run the 6x9's off the headunit as the rear is really just for rear fill (rear passengers)

Try ebay or caraudioaustralia.com (forums). Ask someone that knows a bit before u make an initial purchase on something, then you'll have no problems =D

Missy
01-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Hmmmm well the fronts are only 50W maxs (25W RMS) and most the 4 channels in my range are putting 250W max per channel (75W - 125W RMS depending on brand per channel) so wouldn't that be too much for the fronts... the deck 50W x 4 like most say is also spose to be 25W RMS x 4 so i also thought there wouldn't be any point to using an amp as the sound quality from the deck is pretty good.

I also hate sound blaring right in my ear which is another reason i want 6x9's in the back and not just for fill sound even though it does sound much better just having that fill and i read everywhere about ppl saying "omg i'd never power my 6x9's from my deck or as if i'd use 25W x 2 on 6x9's" etc etc. BF has the kenwoods in the back of his wagon and only has them powered off the deck and my 4 inchers actually sound alot louder (around twice as loud, not sure as it gets too loudi have to stop turing them up) then his 6x9's do and i'm sure my deck isn't giving out 10x as much power as his pioneer deck so I thought maybe 6x9's really need an amp to get workin properly due to the W different from my 4inchers....

It pisses me off the number of 1000W etc amps that don't state anywhere on the box the RMS output, i'm guessing they are so week (less the the 75W RMS per channel that most of the cheap amps I see are) and will prob have just as bad a sound so should stick away from them.......

bumography
01-11-2004, 04:14 AM
ok..
well.. when you have a sub it really doesnt matter how loud the 6x9's are =)
even if a speaker is rated at 25wrms, putting more in wont ever harm it if you dont turn your amplifier gains full up !

You dont like sound blaring in your ear? ehhe well if u had decent speakers, they sound really good at loud levels and dont hurt your ear.. if thats waht you meant.

Missy
01-11-2004, 04:20 AM
If you want to get technical then any sound is actually hurting your ear :p . These sound good when loud I just don't like it that loud since I can't hear if anyone says anything and my ears actually get sore and that cotton wool effect sometimes :confused:

Hmmmm i'm guessing maps have the gain control for each channel? Since it'd be silly to have the gain low so the front speaks don't blow and having the sub get hardly any power then...

bumography
01-11-2004, 04:33 AM
eheh
amps have the gain for each pairs of channels i suppose.
well sometimes high pitch treble can sound really metallic, bright (harsh) and hurt your ears.
If you get silk dome tweeters it might have a different effect (well does to me anyway)
wonder waht other people think..

JohnnyBoy
09-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey Missy,

i bought some 6 x 9's when i first had my audio gear lined up.. Tell you what, it was a total waste of $$$.. i think i payed about $150 for them, a set of Alpine somehting or rather..

As suggested, i had them hooked up to my deck.. at that time i had no sub. They were needed as i had nothing else in the rear. and they were adequate for what i knew about car audio at that point in time.

About a month or so, a mate told me about a sale @ the local Ryda store. Thought i'd check it out, and fair enough, there were some deals. So i picked up a sony 12 inch sub.

Since installing my sub, i have actually turned off my amp in my deck (there's a feature to turn off the internal amp on my deck) and not have the 6 x 9's sounding at all.

With a decent component setup up front, and a adequately powered sub in the back, any sound from a pair of 6x9's just ruin's the overall sound inside the cockpit.

Tell you what. if you really want rear speakers, i'll sell you mine for $100. i seriously do not use them at all.

HRV-80Y
09-11-2004, 04:16 PM
amp...alpine ! no boss waste of money...alpine v12's !

-MuGen PoWer-
09-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Boss are not a bad of an amp and pretty cheap as well, i have 2 frends with a boss 4 channel 600w amp. it still does its job with alright splits at front, 6*9 pioneers at the bak and also a 12 inch pioneer sub 600w, goes pretty loud and the bass sounds very smooth. system sounds very clear
Shnieder 4 channel amps arent that bad either and they are fairly cheap as well

shashora
09-11-2004, 06:27 PM
hey i pmed u missy i sell car audio so i can get u good deal everything u want 4 500

Missy
12-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Hmmm maybe your 6x9's are just duds... my bf disconnected his front speakers cos they were jsut hte crappy factory ones so all he has running are a pair fo kenwood 6x9's in the back off the deck and a cheap tube sub with built in amp and it actually sounds pretty good considering.

Anyway I got 6x9's now just took a couple days for him ot make a board to stick em in.

Current setup is a panasonic head unit (JB and some other places are selling it for 400 at the mo it's a motorised one with rotary volume) the 4inch 40w RMS 2way kickers in the front and some 40w RMS sony 6x9's in the back.

So got some fill sound now but still nothing in the bass department, the 6x9's don't put out near as muhc bass as the kenwwods in bf's car. Anyway that's eaten up quite a bit of the money but still have a few hundred left for bass.

Don't need some top quality or way loud bass so i'm tending to look at the cheap side for it.

See in te latest JB Hi-FI log they have 2 cheap amps a Solid Audio 150W x 2 for $77 and an Audioline 200W x 2 for $97. Bf says sounds from them wouldn't be great seein how cheap they are but it should be fine for a sub and should expect to get 120 - 150w RMS brdiged from each one with the AUdoline probably giving slighty more... They got some 12inch 250w kickers for 84 bucks he says will prob handle around 150 RMS so would either of those amps be ok for running that?

Also see they got a Pioneer (XSL121P5) 12inch 800w (400w RMS) sub in box for $177 and a Sony 12 inch 1200w (350w RMS) sub in a Sony box for $187. I'm guessing these are better then that cheap kicker sub.... and would either of those cheap amps be okay for these subs or is the power they'd give too low it would damage the sub? They got a 4Ch version of those amps for about double the cost of the 2Ch one, would either of those have sufficient power to run one of those boxed subs... can you even bridge a 4Ch amp to 1 Ch....

Like I said dont need hi impact or really loud bass just some good decent bass, bf's cheaped cylinder sub was only 80 bucks or something and I quite like the bass from it so the sound from those cheap amps and a cheap sub should keep me happy shouldn't it.....