PDA

View Full Version : STOCK h22a Prelude Vs Turbo D series

Lyle_Style
01-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey guys,
This has changed my view on H22a's alltogether.

I my dream, (not in real life.... :) ) I Was on the highway headin to the coast and a pretty stocko prelude drove past. I was like sweet, i hope its a h22a (never being up against one b4). In My car it was me and my mate, and in his was the driver and 3 small people. Aged early teens.
Roughly 13.
Anyway we dropped it into 3rd gear and i pulled away but then i herd the vtec roar and he was right up next to me neck and neck. Both changed into 4th and still both even and then both changed into 5th and flying past all the traffic and off the speedo and neither pulling away. After getting abit to fast and noone winning we both slowed right back dowm.
Anyway we cruised together to the broadwater car park at southport and we had a bit of a talk and laugh and i asked him what his motor was. He said its a standard 2.2 but he didnt know the engine number. I poped the hood and it was a H22a DOHC Vtec. But it was completey standard. No zorst system no pod filter no nothing. So his car was just as fast as mine with a completely standard motor + 4 people, aginst mine which has been turbo charged with 2 people. That is UNREAL!!

And mine motor is a D15b7 with microtec Lt8 Management. Front mount. Turbo running 9psi. Basically bolt on with no internals or injectors.
So if your wondering if a H22a has balls i would DEFFINATELY say so, it would be very cheap to get those motors running quick.

Id love to see one on these in a civic hatch with some internal work and a big hairy turbo that would be nuts.

hehe :)

Weq
01-11-2004, 11:24 AM
ive had taken h22'as on a few occasions. on the hiway with EG with a h22a and also a accord \w h22a. They are a strong motor, but the turbod should of taken it. the vtec head on the d16 flows well and helps the turbo upto keeping her stroing till redline... my win was pretty easy on the hiway, i pulled like no tomorrow from 2nd to 5ths. ++4 cars. ~10psi. we raced 3 or 4 times and it was all the same.

McChook
01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
H22as are expensive to modify not hard to modify, just expensive as they are not popular enough....

H22as are tough, I love them, but aftermarket support from Japan is lacklustre - mugen make little, Spoon do nothing, toda don't either - Only Jun Make anything, and their gear is very expensive - I am orgainising a pair of Jun 3 cams for my car as we speak.....

That said, I won't get anywhere near Weq in a straight line..... Preludes are too heavy to start with, and EGs are too light.....

silvia200sx
01-11-2004, 02:18 PM
yeh its all about the power to weight like every1 is saying, but i reckon ludes with h22a when rolling start should be pretty quick as it has good torque range, right?

McChook
01-11-2004, 02:26 PM
yeh its all about the power to weight like every1 is saying, but i reckon ludes with h22a when rolling start should be pretty quick as it has good torque range, right?
More than most NA Hondas.... But not "OMG AWESOME" - lots of grunt on Hicam though

Lyle_Style
02-11-2004, 04:37 PM
what would be faster (stock), Type R Teg or Vtir H22a Prelude ?

Xenon
02-11-2004, 05:00 PM
type R

CHU85
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
type r would be quicker than prelude easy
You don't have to go to japan for h22a parts. I got all mine from the States.
They've got more high powered h22a's then anywhere else. So go figure.
Just like aussie parts, nothing wrong with them.