PDA

View Full Version : Heat shield cover

Hondah
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey guys I was just curious, after changing the extractors on a 95 EG VTi would the heat shield for the extractors still fit? Or would it need to be modified..

cheers!

CRXDEL501
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
if you changed to aftermarket extractors, the stock heat shield wont fit.

ksl
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
without the heat shield, will it be too hot in the engine? and decrease it performance??

DvSnGuYeN
10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
will get hotter, but you can always wrap them in that heat proof tape or even spray some heat proof paint on them, it'll help... a little...

CRXDEL501
10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
i wouldnt worry about either.
heat wrap is probably better than the paint.
do you want something to reduce heat for a particular reason?
such as intake?

Hondah
11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Still learning here guys.. but I think you guys are talking about something different to what I am heh.. I'm talking about the heat shield on top of the extractors..

( e.g http://i1.tinypic.com/243rkte.jpg )

The one to protect your hands from being burnt haha.. sorry if I'm not explaining my self well.. :)

ksl
11-05-2009, 12:51 AM
yes, once you change to aftermarket extractors, the heat shield wont fit.

ksl
11-05-2009, 12:54 AM
i wouldnt worry about either.
heat wrap is probably better than the paint.
do you want something to reduce heat for a particular reason?
such as intake?
people said not to use heat wrap on mild steel extractors, because if water particle is inside, there would be high chance of cracking it.

no particular reason for it, just worry the engine will be over heat on road /track

because the engine bay is much hotter without the heat shield on...

CRXDEL501
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
people said not to use heat wrap on mild steel extractors, because if water particle is inside, there would be high chance of cracking it.

no particular reason for it, just worry the engine will be over heat on road /track

because the engine bay is much hotter without the heat shield on...

this is true. heat wrapping may cause headers to crack.

i dont see why the car would overheat on the track. header shield wont make much of a difference. the temp in there is still going to be hot

EK1.6LCIV
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
it'll make not much diff, been running a/m headers for yrs without wrap

the only bonus of wrap on a std engine is mainly form factor as the header get dirty fast and easily

CRXDEL501
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
you have nothing to worry about buddy!

dsp26
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
only reason i did wrap was coz it was a may as well thing as it was off the car. but it does serve a purpose.... keeping the engine bay cool is not even the heat wraps primary purpose.

the primary purpose is to keep exhaust velocity hot = fast therefore increasing exhaust scavenging and a hotter more efficient cat.

as you guys should know, exhaust fumes cool down and therefore slow down as it leaves the engine.... but then again it may have been a contributing factory to my melted metal cat combined with oil burning and crusting up the catalyst.

hiepy
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Whocares about the heatshield.

If you get a good set of headers
-they'll have good flow by design
-a material that contains heat and strong enough that it also doesn't crack from overheatin'.

Plus the air flow into your bay will cool ya headers- because you'll be driving FAST, real FAST and lots more air rushin' like a rollercoaster WEeeeeeeeee.

Aslong as you keep your intake away/boxed up or feedin' str8 fresh cold air- who really gives a damn.

:wave:

Hondah
12-05-2009, 10:04 PM
haha thanks for the help guys

heipy I didnt no EG's could go as fast as roller coasters :P

paps02
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
fail to see how heat wrap will crack headers? if someone has proof then share plz

if anything they act as insulating to slow the cooling of the stainless steel when the car is turned off. which is far better then a rapidly cooling metal if ur trying to keep them from cracking...

CRXDEL501
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
fail to see how heat wrap will crack headers? if someone has proof then share plz

if anything they act as insulating to slow the cooling of the stainless steel when the car is turned off. which is far better then a rapidly cooling metal if ur trying to keep them from cracking...

keyword 'may' cause cracking, and rust.
depending on how they are wrapped, if they have been done well.
there has been a few threads on heat wrapping.

still think its a waste of time.

sorry george. :p

paps02
13-05-2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89134&highlight=heat+wrap&page=3

this one?

there are two sides to every coin. iv done it for the reason i couldnt source a heat shield as i have aftermarket extractors, this has done the job fine for me. everyone has claimed they crack headers but never shown evidence.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 08:51 AM

because most people put them on real tight and forget that metal expands under heat.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Whocares about the heatshield.

If you get a good set of headers
-they'll have good flow by design
-a material that contains heat and strong enough that it also doesn't crack from overheatin'.

Plus the air flow into your bay will cool ya headers- because you'll be driving FAST, real FAST and lots more air rushin' like a rollercoaster WEeeeeeeeee.

Aslong as you keep your intake away/boxed up or feedin' str8 fresh cold air- who really gives a damn.

:wave:

No it doesn't, because the air flowing to the engine is hot because it's cooling the radiator.

and no material strong enough to make quality headers can contain heat that the combustion process makes hence why people use ceramic coating or heat wrap.. dunno about you but next dyno day mayb you should grab someones primaries after a dyno run and tell us if you speak truth

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:50 AM
[url]

there are two sides to every coin. iv done it for the reason i couldnt source a heat shield as i have aftermarket extractors, this has done the job fine for me. everyone has claimed they crack headers but never shown evidence.

you missed what i said.
keyword 'may', and depends on the job.

and dsp26 said it, if they are done too tight, they will.

JasonGilholme
13-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Mine are wrapped. Definately keeps the headers cooler on the outside. and keeps heat on the inside.

IMO people talking about moisture under the wrap creating rust are silly. The heat generated from the exhaust will evaporate any moisture in the wrap and on the headers.

Any rust will be caused from contaminates in the air which cause rust. Water isn't the only thing that causes rust.

As for keeping engine bay temps down, you're better off getting a heat shield. The headers till get hot, wrapped or unwrapped. THey still generate alot of heat. You're better off with a heat shield to contain the heat in that area, rather then leating it soak into your filter and other components.

make yourself a custom heat shield from some good grade metal and weld something onto your headers with a tapped thread so you can bolt it on.

If done properly it can look good and actually serve a purpose. None of this wank wank Oh look at me crap. :thumbsup:

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 10:22 AM
havent heard from you in a while jason lol
off topic hows the sol going?

paps02
13-05-2009, 01:02 PM
you missed what i said.
keyword 'may', and depends on the job.

and dsp26 said it, if they are done too tight, they will.

poli that comes down to user error. if you put anything on a car incorectly it will result in something breaking.

No it doesn't, because the air flowing to the engine is hot because it's cooling the radiator.

and no material strong enough to make quality headers can contain heat that the combustion process makes hence why people use ceramic coating or heat wrap.. dunno about you but next dyno day mayb you should grab someones primaries after a dyno run and tell us if you speak truth

then grab some wrapped headers :-)

i can touch mine while the car is running so that says a bit.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 01:16 PM
then grab some wrapped headers :-)

i can touch mine while the car is running so that says a bit.

i know that, i can grab mine too :)

he was saying actual header material.... but TODA headers are awesome quality which is why i think he should grab them to test his opinion lol

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 02:01 PM
poli that comes down to user error. if you put anything on a car incorectly it will result in something breaking.

quite my point exactly.
wrap headers incorrectly, do a shit job, and they MAY crack.
im not saying they will. dont get your knickers in a knot.