PDA

View Full Version : CL9 Nasty oil leak

Exar Kun
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi, I have a 16 month old CL9 (15000kms on it). Just did a trip to Melbourne from Canberra and have noticed quite a bit of oil coming from the front of the engine. Has anyone had a similar leak?

I'll obviously call the dealer on Monday morning but I have to drive back to Canberra before I do that and am worried at the amount of oil coming out. No sign of a warning light as of yet but I don't want it to come on when I'm on the Hume and a million miles from anywhere. Unfortunately with the place I'm staying at for the weekend, anywhere I put the car is on quite an incline so I can't really trust what the dipstick says.

So, like I said, best I can tell it's coming from front of the engine but I can't determine anything else. TIA.

NDU19E
09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
where is it coming from exactly?

Exar Kun
09-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't been under the car yet but from the best I can tell it's front of engine (as in right hand side from driver's seat) and closer towards the firewall.

tony1234
09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I haven't been under the car yet but from the best I can tell it's front of engine (as in right hand side from driver's seat) and closer towards the firewall.
Can you take a pic?Otherwise just buy a bottle of 5W30 or similar to get you out of trouble and check and or top up the oil 3 or more times on the drive home depending on the distance.

aaronng
09-05-2009, 06:21 PM
If it is on the driver's side closest to the firewall, then your oil filter is leaking oil.
What is the current oil level on the dip stick with the engine cold?
Keep a bottle of oil with you.

Exar Kun
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
ok, thanks guys - I'll have a look in the morning at the level. It was serviced only a month ago (20k service) so hopefully only a very recent issue.

r-r-redEuro
10-05-2009, 01:46 AM
sorry if spam question but why would you get your car a 20k service if you only have done 15k ?

shadou
10-05-2009, 02:40 AM
usually to follow manufacturing specifications of either 10,000km or 6 month intervals whichever comes first.

aaronng
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
ok, thanks guys - I'll have a look in the morning at the level. It was serviced only a month ago (20k service) so hopefully only a very recent issue.
Cool, keep the oil level between max and min until you get your car to the dealer to check since it is still under warranty.

I'm guessing that the mechanic or apprentice who replaced your oil filter didn't check that the old gasket had ripped off and was still stuck to the oil filter mount.

Exar Kun
12-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Ok, managed to get it sorted. I got under the car on Sunday and it turned out it wasn't the oil filter at all - it was the sump plug! Someone hadn't tightened it very well during the last service and it had managed to work it's way loose. I was able to turn it with my fingers. So, got it tightened up, put some oil in and came back to Canberra. I dropped into the dealer today (Rolfe Honda) and they're very sorry - will redo the entire service next Monday for free and reimburse me for the last service and the cost of oil.

Just bloody lucky the thing didn't drop out on the Hume!

aaronng
12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, managed to get it sorted. I got under the car on Sunday and it turned out it wasn't the oil filter at all - it was the sump plug! Someone hadn't tightened it very well during the last service and it had managed to work it's way loose. I was able to turn it with my fingers. So, got it tightened up, put some oil in and came back to Canberra. I dropped into the dealer today (Rolfe Honda) and they're very sorry - will redo the entire service next Monday for free and reimburse me for the last service and the cost of oil.

Just bloody lucky the thing didn't drop out on the Hume!

Sounds good that they reimbursed you for the previous service. Not many dealers are willing to return payments.

tron07
13-05-2009, 10:34 AM
usually to follow manufacturing specifications of either 10,000km or 6 month intervals whichever comes first.

I usually push it to 8 months :p

aday
13-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Sounds good that they reimbursed you for the previous service. Not many dealers are willing to return payments.

+1. It's the way a dealer/service manager handles a complaint after the fact that really shows their true colours. Redoing the service and refunding the cost is great customer service, IMO, and quite out of the ordinary (even if they're clearly at fault).

Euro08Jaz
13-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Ive dealt with Rolfe Honda in Phillip and they are ****ing shit. im getting real sick and tired of dealing with them. My Clutch is still creaking and the indicator is still making funny noises which they acknowledge but say its not loud enough to replace.

The refund on your service might seem good but who knows how much damage was done to your engine on your drive to Melbourne?

shadou
13-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Feels sorry for the bloke who serviced it cos he's probably gonna cop it hard from the service manager then all the boys in the back lol.

SPQR
13-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Ive dealt with Rolfe Honda in Phillip and they are ****ing shit. im getting real sick and tired of dealing with them. My Clutch is still creaking and the indicator is still making funny noises which they acknowledge but say its not loud enough to replace.

The refund on your service might seem good but who knows how much damage was done to your engine on your drive to Melbourne?

I thought that the creaking clutch was a normal feature of the CL9 as are the clicking sounds made by the indicator mechanism when you turn the steering wheel. Are these the sounds of which you write?

Euro08Jaz
14-05-2009, 12:42 AM
I thought that the creaking clutch was a normal feature of the CL9 as are the clicking sounds made by the indicator mechanism when you turn the steering wheel. Are these the sounds of which you write?

No lol, its an extra click that vibrates through the steering wheel, its hard to explain but its abnormal, a few other on the forum have had this problem.