PDA

View Full Version : Do Spoon Radiator and Oil Caps do anything?

Qwooootz
01-11-2004, 12:43 PM
just curious!? :confused:

egSi
01-11-2004, 12:48 PM
i have a spoon radiator cap on my eg.

it has a higher pressure ratin6 than the stock one 0.6 bar i think, it theoretically does something i think but i dont think youd see/feel it.

oil caps i wouldnt have a clue, i tought they were metal to stop them from cracking like the plastic ones, i dunno but my car isnt a n1 car so id doubt it would really be that effective, looks good tho. what they are supposed to do and what they do on street car a prolly two very dofferent things....

have u checked their website for an explanation??

PhatSol
01-11-2004, 01:23 PM
High pressure radiator caps raise the boiling point of the coolant, so the coolant can run hotter without boiling over. The hotter the radiator runs, the more energy it can dissapate. The higher pressures also reduce the chance of the coolant boiling as it goes through the head. However the higher pressures will increase stress on all cooling system components, especially the hoses, heater core, etc....

The oil cap? Bling bling i think :p

wynode
01-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Higher pressure within the cooling system raises the boiling point.....not the high pressure cap itself :)

b18a
01-11-2004, 01:53 PM
PhatSol is right.

but before replace the radiator cap, better check the cooling system for potential weakness to hold the extra pressure, like cracking hose etc. in case ur car is over 5 years old.

Cheers

Mr. Focus
01-11-2004, 02:00 PM
dunno, but i got em anyways. Thanks trav!:)

Qwooootz
01-11-2004, 02:39 PM
thanks guys.. :D

01-11-2004, 03:59 PM
if you go to spoon site they explain wat "their one" does..

[[d a n n y]]
01-11-2004, 04:00 PM
BlinG BlInG

spoondc2
01-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Higher pressure also mean faster flow so it kinda helping cool down, but don't expect too much, i use mugen thermostat, fan switch and rad cap together, it will help much more to cool down, but the best way is to get a fatter radiator, but notice, unless you really pull the car very hard all the time and the coolant really getting very hot, or else better not to use low temp thermostat and large radiator together, cos the coolant won't heat up enough so you will lost power due to low temperature.

Peronal opinion only......