PDA

View Full Version : Engine Braking

xiaoli
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi guys, finally picked up a 2nd hand 2004 Jazz VTi-S Auto with CVT

Been driving it for a couple of weeks, and its mostly good. However one thing that really bugs me is the way there seems to be too much engine braking when I take my foot off the accelerator at lower speeds. Usually under 50k/h if I let go the car would lurch a bit as it slows, and its a bit annoying.

Is there anyway to fix this? Is this normal?

p.terribilis
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I've noticed the same thing in my 09 VTI-S with the paddle shifters. I only really feel a lurch going from 2nd the 1st...4-3-2 is okay...however 3-2 is a little harsh but nothing like 2-1. I've always wondered how this tranny would hold up if I were to put a SC on it....

Gnat
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Normally i just rest my foot on the pedal lightly, just enough to tell the car i still want to move forwards. Wierdly though, it only engine brakes occasionally.
There is a hill around my place, and if i brake before going down it, the car will engine brake the whole way down. If i don't brake before it, the car will just roll straight down.

bc143
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
yes i use the same method as Gnat just lightly tap on the gas to tell the car you r going n stopping if you hv a CVT the tranny even lower the gear itself.