PDA

View Full Version : High End Fuel...

Missy
01-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Will the top end fuels like optimax and ultimate etc be of any benefit to my 88 civic.... I have some ppl telling me it will while others tell me its too old and wont be at all... don't think i'd get any extra power outa it cos of the age but the fuel econ would still be better and the cleaning agents would help it respond a bit better as well as the fuel econ wouldn't it...

MrPlow
01-11-2004, 04:42 PM
of course it will be better... also much cleaner/smoother for your engine, meaning less engine wear, more km's per tank and less fuel emmision which is clean for the environment! :)

and maybe even slightly better performance!

J-MuN
01-11-2004, 05:55 PM
yeh you do feel that the car runs smoother... better fuel efficiency but if you think you'll save money via better fuel efficiency, dont forget it'll cost you bout 5-10cents more (in melb) so it'll turn out to be the same anyway...but it'll be better for your car..

Missy
01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah but is it worth it.. ultimate is about 9 or 10 cents more then unleaded usually and on the BP video a new camry got 8% more milage using it so that'd mean 10 bucks of either one should get you roughly the same distance but i'm expecting an 88 civic with 242k on it wouldn't get that much more which would mean the extra km's doesn't offset the extra cost.

BF keeps at me about it cleaning the engine and that heling and the better emissions for the environment but all i'm really worried about is getting as far as I can for less :p

Talked to some ppl using optimax though that swear they get atleast 15% more per tank then unleaded so that would be saving then but i'm a bit skeptical about them gaining that much.

PhatSol
01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
It dosen't cost that much in a year. Say you do 25,000km with 8L/100 fuel efficency. That would be 2000L of fuel. At 9c/L price diffrence that works out to $180.00 without factoring in any fuel economy advantage you get.

Eclipsor
01-11-2004, 07:45 PM
I use ultimate. Havn't tried the shell or mobil ones, but the engine runs noticably better than standard or Freedom premium (there's one close by and was in a hurry ;)). I usually put in about $30 and at about 6-8c/L more I reackon its worth the extra $2.50 or so. I'll just buy one less bottle of coke. benefits me and my car ;)

Thats without taking into account difference in efficiency. Havn't tested this.

Missy
01-11-2004, 07:54 PM
BF wants me to use ultimate or optimax, he's a chemistry buff and form what he's read he isn't sure wether ultimate or optimax is better but is pretty sure they are both better then synergy and obviously better then vortex since its not even in the same octane range.

Looking at optimax at the moment since you can get that 4c off by shopping at coles and bilo compared to no where that gives a disccount on bp as far as I can see.

He wants to go on a road trip sometime, fill the civic up with unleaded and drive it untill it up north till it stops moving lol then fill it up with optimax and drive back home and see how much further we get before it conks out on that and atleast see the eff benefit on the highway.

Just have to get a jerry and save some money for the petty lol then off we go :D

PhatSol
01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
He wants to go on a road trip sometime, fill the civic up with unleaded and drive it untill it up north till it stops moving lol then fill it up with optimax and drive back home and see how much further we get before it conks out on that and atleast see the eff benefit on the highway.

Just have to get a jerry and save some money for the petty lol then off we go :D

Lol i hope he has a new fuel filter handy too after all the last bits of crap in the tank go through it :p

bennjamin
01-11-2004, 10:34 PM
...more km's per tank

off the top of my chicken-pox ravaged head - the way premium decreases fuel consumption is by this -
once it is in the fuel system - the ECU gradually sensors the higher combustable fuel which leaves excess residue - which is measured as running rich , THEN the ECU leans the A/F mixture to suit closer factory specs.....
resulting in a lesser fuel to air ratio in the combustion cycle - THUS saving "x" amount of fuel ...and so increasing km's per tank.

Altho thats my educated guess. probably wrong but pfft.
There is probably cocaine or soemthing similar in it ...being 10c+ more expensive than normal unleaded.

I use unleaded normally - as my dinosaur is made for it. I do indulge in premium once in a while for a future weekend of hooning around etc. as it smooths out the engine alittle.But in all seriousmess use the fuel that is mentioned in your fuel filler door hinge.