PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust... please explain

joe.teg
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey guys

A while a go you may remember a custom vs commercial exhaust thread posted by me.
Well i ended up getting the custom exhaust today and it sounds awsome and goes even better.
Its a 2.25inch catback but in not sure of the tip size.
One question though... when im at low revs it pops, does this mean i have a lot of backpressure or is this normal or nothing to worry about.
Any help and your comments would be apreciated.
I can post a vid of it if you guys like

[Type_R]
12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah dude, post up pics or vids..

TYP32
12-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Chances are, the pops will be unburnt fuel combusting in the exhaust. Larger exhaust, less back pressure, higher flow, so your ecu will try and pump more fuel thru. Usually a good idea to get your car tuned after a mod like this. :thumbsup:

joe.teg
12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
so i have less back pressure... few lol... is this normal?

TYP32
12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
yea completely normal.. your larger diameter exhaust will give you more power up in the high end of your rev range, but 9 times out of 10 will give you less back pressure = slightly less power bottom end.

joe.teg
12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
u know what... ive felt that its gives me more mid range torque, slightly more down low and quite a bit more up high

T-onedc2
13-05-2009, 08:08 AM
It's nothing to worry about and is normal, it has always done it but your stock system just muffles any of these noises.
It becomes a problem when it sounds like a gunshot though.......lol

dc5s
13-05-2009, 10:08 AM
It's nothing to worry about and is normal, it has always done it but your stock system just muffles any of these noises.

Gunshot, lol. Could be the exhaust, could be someone actually shooting at you, depending on location - lol

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 10:25 AM
i love it when mine pops

its fine, enjoy the new exhaust :thumbsup:

dsp26
13-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Chances are, the pops will be unburnt fuel combusting in the exhaust. Larger exhaust, less back pressure, higher flow, so your ecu will try and pump more fuel thru. Usually a good idea to get your car tuned after a mod like this. :thumbsup:

exactly what it is

dsp26
13-05-2009, 10:33 AM
i love it when mine pops

its fine, enjoy the new exhaust :thumbsup:

i used to love the sound too until you realise it will easily blow ceramic cats.... then i moved to a metal cat which melted anyway for the same reason lol

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 10:47 AM
haha
so you cant really win can you.
i only recently got mine, so it might eventually stop. hopefully lol

joe.teg
13-05-2009, 05:41 PM
hahahaha... im looking into a set opf headers and a hi flow cat now.
Probably xforce headers... what do you guys think
any suggestions?
Im selling the rims from my old car for about 2000 and i need $$$ left over for a hondata or something for a nice tune etc

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 06:33 PM
you wont have much left if you only have 2k. go neptune :thumbsup:

joe.teg
13-05-2009, 06:37 PM
i was looking for a s100 hondata.
Whats neptune like?

Are 5zigen header a good option aswell?

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:15 PM
neptune is good. i cant fault it. ive gotten good results with it. just depends on the tuner, thats with any ecu.

5zigen are a middle range header.

joe.teg
13-05-2009, 09:26 PM
how about crome?

what would i be looking at for a set of 5zigen headers for a VTIR uninstalled.

Thanks

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:36 PM
i got my 5zigens i had a while ago for 500 bucks. that was off my mate.

joe.teg
13-05-2009, 09:42 PM
good sound? How about power?

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:51 PM
they made a little bit of a difference over some rubbish headers i had on my crx. i didnt notice really major gains, but the car wasnt tuned. only had an exhaust from a local exhaust shop, that wasnt that great. never got it dynoed so i got no idea about the power.

im sure if you get a good combination of headers and exhaust, you will be satisfied.

depends on your budget and so forth.

there are alot of headers out there.

VTECMACHINE
13-05-2009, 11:00 PM

That is no problem. That is awesome.

dsp26
14-05-2009, 10:41 AM
haha
so you cant really win can you.
i only recently got mine, so it might eventually stop. hopefully lol

lol.

yeah well the way i see it, if your car is modified and well tuned and doesn't burn oil.. get a high flow ceramic and it will last forever.

the substrate on top of the metal spiral or honeycomb material on metal cats disappear quickly if you run too rich or are burning oil... it leads to 'cat poisoning'

the substrate won't do its job, your exhaust smells like fuel coz it starts running rich and when burning oil starts crusting up it gets blocked and builds up heat and it starts melting.

at least a ceramic won't melt regardless and the only real danger is exhaust pop shattering the ceramic

dsp26
14-05-2009, 10:45 AM
just remember though when replacing a cat... just coz they say "high flow" doesn't mean it is.

the reason the brand MetalCat is expensive and easily worth the money is because their only 100cell (bigger squares in the honeycomb grid) which equals higher flow.

but on top of that its EPA/ADR approved because its got so much heavy metal substrate on the metal honeycombs its still able to catalyse pollution more efficiently than 200cell or 300cell cats with technically more surface area.

i made a mistake and bought an advertised high flow metal cat that was actually 300cell... sure it still flowed well, but the slightest contamitants block it because the gaps between the honeycomb grid is sooooo small. even a small emtallic particle from the engine hitting 1 cell in a red hot catalyst will cause the hole to fuse and melt together and inturn start melting and blocking adjacent cells

CRXDEL501
14-05-2009, 11:31 AM
just remember though when replacing a cat... just coz they say "high flow" doesn't mean it is.

yep.
you got a good point. :thumbsup:
cant always believe everything.