PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Adjustment and HID Projection Question

Adrian Euro
13-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi My car is sitting lower and i dont have an automatic leveler thing for my lights. Does anyone know how to adjust the height of the projection of your lights.

Also i bought a set of aftermarket HID H1 8000k. The projection of the light is very clear but there seems to be a strip of black shadow going through the middle of the projection and hence that shadow is not being lit up. Could this be the way the bulb was put in? I out this in with the blue filliament outside the light, its like a bar facing up. Actually this may not be outside the casing actually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

craze
13-05-2009, 07:10 PM
There is a shadow because you have put the bulb in the wrong way up

aaronng
13-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Look behind your headlight and there is a silver toothed wheel. That adjusts the height of the headlight.

Aftermarket H1 HIDs give you that black strip. It is caused by the electrode that runs on one side of the bulb. That's what you get for using a H1 for HID when the design is meant for halogen. Proper HIDs are D2S bulbs (which need the Euro Lux headlights to fit)

TRaNz
13-05-2009, 07:18 PM
is it possible to put the D2S/D2C HID bulb in the wrong way up? LOL, nub question i know.

Adrian Euro
13-05-2009, 09:11 PM
There is a shadow because you have put the bulb in the wrong way up

Thanks Craze

Adrian Euro
13-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Look behind your headlight and there is a silver toothed wheel. That adjusts the height of the headlight.

Aftermarket H1 HIDs give you that black strip. It is caused by the electrode that runs on one side of the bulb. That's what you get for using a H1 for HID when the design is meant for halogen. Proper HIDs are D2S bulbs (which need the Euro Lux headlights to fit)

Aaron i am struggling to find this silver toothed wheel can you give any more information. I have a 2003 euro thanks mate.

aaronng
13-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Aaron i am struggling to find this silver toothed wheel can you give any more information. I have a 2003 euro thanks mate.

Look down at the headlight from the top. You'll see it at the part just next to the highbeam bulb.

Euro1011
14-05-2009, 11:06 AM
PLEASE HELP!

I have the 04 Std Euro and installed HIDs. Because it's brighter now, i had to adjust the angle of the lights as other on-coming vehicles were flashing their light at me. After adjusting, I'm still getting flashed and need to adjust further. Now i can see the shadow of the lights are not even for both.

Wondering if the lights can be adjusted left to right as well as up and down?

Also how much adjustments did you all make after installing HIDs?

If i decide to install the original halogen back, can the guys at Honda dealer adjust it to the original height? Do they have some sort a measuring device or something, rather then just by looking at the height shadow?

Thanks

Adrian Euro
14-05-2009, 11:36 AM
PLEASE HELP!

I have the 04 Std Euro and installed HIDs. Because it's brighter now, i had to adjust the angle of the lights as other on-coming vehicles were flashing their light at me. After adjusting, I'm still getting flashed and need to adjust further. Now i can see the shadow of the lights are not even for both.

Wondering if the lights can be adjusted left to right as well as up and down?

Also how much adjustments did you all make after installing HIDs?

If i decide to install the original halogen back, can the guys at Honda dealer adjust it to the original height? Do they have some sort a measuring device or something, rather then just by looking at the height shadow?

Thanks

Hey aaron thanks for your infor that was great and i was able to adjust my lights last night. Thanks again

Euro1011 I notice that with my HIDs they point to the left so they dont go into anyones eyes. they light up the path alot. not sure if this meant to happen but i do know most of my projection goes left.

Ummm i just used a brick wall. So i parked the car close to brick walll and marked out with chalk the line. Then i adjusted the light until i felt happy. the took it for a drive. i kept doing that untill i was satisfied. hope that helps

Euro1011
14-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey aaron thanks for your infor that was great and i was able to adjust my lights last night. Thanks again

Euro1011 I notice that with my HIDs they point to the left so they dont go into anyones eyes. they light up the path alot. not sure if this meant to happen but i do know most of my projection goes left.

Ummm i just used a brick wall. So i parked the car close to brick walll and marked out with chalk the line. Then i adjusted the light until i felt happy. the took it for a drive. i kept doing that untill i was satisfied. hope that helps

Adrian Euro

Thanks for the feedback. I will try adjusting it again tonight and see how it goes. As for lighting up the path alot, my does the same thing. The left side beam is higher than the right. Shining into the back window of the car in front.

aaronng
14-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Adrian Euro

Thanks for the feedback. I will try adjusting it again tonight and see how it goes. As for lighting up the path alot, my does the same thing. The left side beam is higher than the right. Shining into the back window of the car in front.

It's because you are using HID bulbs in a projector headlamp designed to take halogen bulbs. The bulb length is different, so the light source is at a different location behind the projector.

To adjust, you have to park your car about 5-6 meters away from a wall on level ground. At that distance, your light beam should hit about 65cm height off the ground if I remember correctly.

Euro1011
14-05-2009, 01:23 PM
It's because you are using HID bulbs in a projector headlamp designed to take halogen bulbs. The bulb length is different, so the light source is at a different location behind the projector.

To adjust, you have to park your car about 5-6 meters away from a wall on level ground. At that distance, your light beam should hit about 65cm height off the ground if I remember correctly.

Thanks Aaron. Will give it a go tonight

NDU19E
14-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Further to this question and little off topic.. ive seen euros where the lights automatically turn on when you unlock a car... any ideas??? is it a certain series of euros??? maybe just in amercia even?? lol thanks

Euro1011
15-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Looked at my headlights last night and I believe i have installed the HID buld on the right side incorrectly. I now need to rotate the buld so that somehow the electrode will be at a different position so that the light beam is angled outwards instad of inwards. I have roughly drawn up of the differently angle of light beam.

Black line (middle line): is the current light beam on my car.
Red line (top line): is what i think the light beam should look like if properly installed
Lights up the path more.
Blue line(bottom line-closest to car): is what my friend thinks it should be so that the outward beam (from red line) does not blind the side mirror of the vehicle in front or oncoming traffic.

Appreaciate your comments and help so that i can this done this weekend. At the moment don't feel comfortable driving at night with lights not properly fixed (it's annoying me)

aaronng
15-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Looked at my headlights last night and I believe i have installed the HID buld on the right side incorrectly. I now need to rotate the buld so that somehow the electrode will be at a different position so that the light beam is angled outwards instad of inwards. I have roughly drawn up of the differently angle of light beam.

Black line (middle line): is the current light beam on my car.
Red line (top line): is what i think the light beam should look like if properly installed
Lights up the path more.
Blue line(bottom line-closest to car): is what my friend thinks it should be so that the outward beam (from red line) does not blind the side mirror of the vehicle in front or oncoming traffic.

Appreaciate your comments and help so that i can this done this weekend. At the moment don't feel comfortable driving at night with lights not properly fixed (it's annoying me)
The black line is the correct one.

The stock beam goes \__ \__

Euro1011
15-05-2009, 01:38 PM
The black line is the correct one.

The stock beam goes \__ \__

Aaron
So even after installing the aftermarket HIDs, the beam angle should look the same when stock? The problem with that is the right bulb 45deg beam angle is shining in the back of the vehicle in front. Even adjust it lower looks uneven with both angles shooting off to the left. I thought the right should beam off to the right. I supposed this happens because the standard euro is not designed to use HIDs.
Have you or anyone else here tried rotating the bulb or just left the bulb as is with both beams shooting off 45deg to the left?

Appreciate you assistance

aaronng
15-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Aaron
So even after installing the aftermarket HIDs, the beam angle should look the same when stock? The problem with that is the right bulb 45deg beam angle is shining in the back of the vehicle in front. Even adjust it lower looks uneven with both angles shooting off to the left. I thought the right should beam off to the right. I supposed this happens because the standard euro is not designed to use HIDs.
Have you or anyone else here tried rotating the bulb or just left the bulb as is with both beams shooting off 45deg to the left?

Appreciate you assistance

No, both beams are meant to both slant upwards towards the left. The right beam MUST NOT slant upwards to the right.

Shining to the back of the vehicle in front is alright. If you do it such that the right beam shines to the right, then you are shining into the face of the drivers in the opposite lane, which is not good and can cause accidents.

Euro1011
15-05-2009, 02:26 PM
No, both beams are meant to both slant upwards towards the left. The right beam MUST NOT slant upwards to the right.

Shining to the back of the vehicle in front is alright. If you do it such that the right beam shines to the right, then you are shining into the face of the drivers in the opposite lane, which is not good and can cause accidents.

OK thanks. I guess now i would have to readjust so that the slant beam does not shine into the back window of the vehicle in front.

It wasn't noticeable when it had the stock halogens. It's probaably because it wasn't as bright as the HID that's why can really see that slant beam.
I might switch to a brighter than stock halogens instead.

Sorry to bother you Aaron. So did you adjust you lights so that it's approx 65cm from the ground and did the slant beam shine into the back window of the vehicle in front?

aaronng
15-05-2009, 03:57 PM
OK thanks. I guess now i would have to readjust so that the slant beam does not shine into the back window of the vehicle in front.

It wasn't noticeable when it had the stock halogens. It's probaably because it wasn't as bright as the HID that's why can really see that slant beam.
I might switch to a brighter than stock halogens instead.

Sorry to bother you Aaron. So did you adjust you lights so that it's approx 65cm from the ground and did the slant beam shine into the back window of the vehicle in front?

At 65c from ground at 5-6 meters away, my headlights just reaches the boot of most cars.

lingamair
17-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wondering if it is possible to install the Euro Lux headlights onto the standard Euro? I understand the Euro Lux headlights have the flat line'd cutoff and take D2S bulbs, but would it be technically possible to fit it in?

This is for the 09 Accord. thanks!

aaronng
17-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wondering if it is possible to install the Euro Lux headlights onto the standard Euro? I understand the Euro Lux headlights have the flat line'd cutoff and take D2S bulbs, but would it be technically possible to fit it in?

This is for the 09 Accord. thanks!

It should be possible. You will lose out on the headlight washers and the autolevellers though. These 2 items are required for HIDs to be legal (but not everyone follows that anyway)

lingamair
18-05-2009, 11:02 PM
It should be possible. You will lose out on the headlight washers and the autolevellers though. These 2 items are required for HIDs to be legal (but not everyone follows that anyway)

Thanks, went to ask Collins on the cost of the headlight assy, they quoted me $2.2k each... way too steep I reckon!