PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] - Euro Fan Tick / engine shut off

ope126
13-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi All,

When I turn my car off, I hear three sperate "ticks" coming from the engine bay. They have been confirmed to be coming from the radiator fans.

Highway Honda say "noise when turning off car is fans disengaging" (as per my invoice)
Has anyone else experienced such a sound. It always happens, no matter what. Should I take it to another dealer, or is this an indication that the fans are on there way out! Car is still under warranty.

I just feel that the dealer is giving me the run around.

Open to thoughts / suggestions...

SPQR
13-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. After all, it's after you've switched-off the engine. But I am intrigued that they invoiced you to listen to a sound. It would be fair and reasonable to pay the invoice with the sound of coins hitting the floor.

Phased
13-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Radiator is also right near the fans. When a Hot engine is switched off, all the components (including block, radiator, head etc.) are forced to start dropping down to ambient temperature. Metal expands under heat and contracts when cooling down. The clicks/metallic sounds you are hearing are most likely just the engine cooling down...

There isn't really anything in a radiator fan that would cause clicking/noise when not in use. You can go to another dealer if you like, however if you really do think its an issue then I would go to your local reputable mechanic.

I wouldn't worry about it. After all, it's after you've switched-off the engine. But I am intrigued that they invoiced you to listen to a sound. It would be fair and reasonable to pay the invoice with the sound of coins hitting the floor.

Honda always put down troubleshooting/inquires on the invoice to ensure there is proof/evidence that they have "investigated" the issue. They often don't charge for such requests if it's under warranty.

unity
14-05-2009, 12:17 AM
I hear that noise too every time I turn the car off. I thought that had something to do with the fuel system shutting down

ope126
18-05-2009, 09:13 PM
There are two (2) plugs that power the fans, I wonder if I could disconnect these, start the car, then turn the vehicle off. That would confirm // deny that the noise is coming from the fans.
However, could this cause an error code in the ECU?

Just trying to troubleshoot!

What are your thoughts...

ope126
22-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Ok, so I went to another dealer and spoke with the workshop forman who was rather helpful. We have diagnosed the "ticks" to be the Throttle Body / DBW controller. When the car is turned off, you can hear / feel the "ticks" coming from there.
We tried three (3) other Euro's that where there on the day and they ALL do the same thing on shut down! I am suprised more people were not aware of this!
Anyway, atleast I now know that it is not a "Fault".