PDA

View Full Version : White foam looking bar behind front bumper

MWAKU
14-05-2009, 08:58 PM
whats it do?

the hard foam looking bar with 3 black inserts located when you take off the front bumper?

currently im not running it, cause i dun know whats it for, and my aftermarket bumper doesn't fit with it on

dupac->
14-05-2009, 09:02 PM
helps aborb impact for smaller hits.

doesnt do much in big hits though..

wel i think thats what its for.

doesnt seem like it serves any other purpose. the foam on the reinforcement bar

lil_foy
14-05-2009, 09:02 PM
It helps soften the blow on the bumper to the reo bar.
Metal on plastic isnt very nice.

Try shave it down with a razor if you can.

HoBoz
15-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I thought it was to keep the bar in place so it doesnt move around to much. I think your better off having it on especially if your trying to sell the car as some people look for it. If its missing they will assume the car has previously been in a accident.
Just my 2cents

eght
15-05-2009, 10:21 AM
... I think your better off having it on especially if your trying to sell the car as some people look for it. ...Just my 2cents

You cant see the foam unless you remove the front bar and that includes attempting to spot the foam with the vehicle raised on a hoist.

... If its missing they will assume the car has previously been in a accident.
Just my 2cents
Thats a big..and hollow assumption based on stupidity. Thats like saying the reason why he has an aftermarket front bar is due to the fact that his vehicle was involved in an accident prior to his new aftermarket front bar. Sellers who would assume what Hoboz said are time wasters.

The foam is there to absorb impact and reduce chassis deformation in common non-fatal accidents. So it'd benefit you if you have it installed. Also depending on what vehicle and its value you have, you should look at the insurance implications you cause by removing the foam.

dsp26
15-05-2009, 10:28 AM
^^^you'll be surprised.. he speaks truth, people do loko for it, as do i.

same goes with resprays and engine bay not matching colour reduces value.

people assume it's been in an acco and a bodykit and new paint job was used as an alternative to a repair.

neo_phase
15-05-2009, 10:57 AM
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/neo_phase/ScreenHunter_01May151049.jpg

There's definitely a reason why it's called the 'absorber' from the service manual.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/neo_phase/n676748641_2148898_4763.jpg

See how the bumper beam (the one where the absorber fits onto) is dented and damaged after someone crashed into me? It would have been worse without the absorber and having a direct impact on the beam would have caused more force being pushed into the chasis and may result in a more severe injury.

eght
15-05-2009, 11:02 AM
yeah i understand
same goes with resprays and engine bay not matching colour reduces value. as valid assumptions but if the vehicle had been involved in a accident that destroyed the foam bar, there would be 1. other tell tale signs as you've mentioned above and 2. i'm sure the repairer would replace the foam bar. I think the valid assumption would be in regards to the foam bar is, if the foam bar is brand new then it is likely it was replaced due to an accident. Not simply because its missing..that's a fools assumption.

eght
15-05-2009, 11:05 AM
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/neo_phase/ScreenHunter_01May151049.jpg

There's definitely a reason why it's called the 'absorber' from the service manual.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/neo_phase/n676748641_2148898_4763.jpg

See how the bumper beam (the one where the absorber fits onto) is dented and damaged after someone crashed into me? It would have been worse without the absorber and having a direct impact on the beam would have caused more force being pushed into the chasis and may result in a more severe injury.

as you can see dsp and hoboz from the service manual diagram, how can you POSSIBLY look for the foam absorber when your inspecting a vehicle unless you have x-ray vision?

Sir_vtec
15-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Dude man.

Something called "a fussy buyer"

I am a fussy buyer i would probably take the bumper off if i was buying a car and there are many "fussy buyers" like me.

Also some dodgey repairs wont replace the absorber if they know you know jack all about whats behind the front bar.

neo_phase
15-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I suppose to get back on topic MWAKU you can either:

1) Shave the absorber so your aftermarket bumper can fit onto it or;
2) If you want to remove the absorber don't throw it away so you can put it back when you want to sell your car off with the stock bumper.

HoBoz
15-05-2009, 11:22 AM
as you can see dsp and hoboz from the service manual diagram, how can you POSSIBLY look for the foam absorber when your inspecting a vehicle unless you have x-ray vision?

You can just pop the hood and have a look, you'll see it so please check before you make a idiot of yourself

eght
15-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Dude man.

Something called "a fussy buyer"

I am a fussy buyer i would probably take the bumper off if i was buying a car and there are many "fussy buyers" like me.

Also some dodgey repairs wont replace the absorber if they know you know jack all about whats behind the front bar.

mate are you trying to tell me that you're going to remove and install your front bar every time a buyer comes to inspect your vehicle? Thats just plain stupidity. Thats as ignorant as saying you're going to remove the gearbox to inspect the clutch and flywheel just because your a fussy buyer. utter ignorance. While you're at it why don't you disassemble the engine and inspect its internals?

And besides that fact, how many fussy buyers are there? Fussy buyers are a minority and in my books, time wasters. In my eyes they come and inspect a vehicle and demand a perfect vehicle. Well buddy, if your so fussy and are concerned with whats behind the front bar, go buy a brand new car.

Also, do you think sellers are going to let you take apart their valuable asset? Of course not. Again if you want to try and argue this, thats just plain ignorance. No one is going to let some john smith take apart their vehicle.

eght
15-05-2009, 11:29 AM
You can just pop the hood and have a look, you'll see it so please check before you make a idiot of yourself

firstly, we dont know what vehicle he has.

You can just pop the hood and have a look, you'll see it so please

all i have to say is, have a nice day fool.
theres no point in trying to reason with fools :)

HoBoz
15-05-2009, 11:35 AM
firstly, we dont know what vehicle he has. QUOTE]

[QUOTE=eght;2265983]as you can see dsp and hoboz from the service manual diagram, how can you POSSIBLY look for the foam absorber when your inspecting a vehicle unless you have x-ray vision?

Whya re u assuming we all need x ray vision to see it then? Get your facts straight before you say anything please :wave:

dsp26
15-05-2009, 11:35 AM
yeah i understand as valid assumptions but if the vehicle had been involved in a accident that destroyed the foam bar, there would be 1. other tell tale signs as you've mentioned above and 2. i'm sure the repairer would replace the foam bar. I think the valid assumption would be in regards to the foam bar is, if the foam bar is brand new then it is likely it was replaced due to an accident. Not simply because its missing..that's a fools assumption.

funnily enough most don't. i have had first hand experience with this and a few others.. and i'm willing to name a few said body repair shops via PM too so as to not openly 'defame'

The said support bar was included in the repair quote. It was neither repaired or replaced but simply removed.... why? because it's an easy $300 pocket money for the 'dodgy repairer'. But A LOT of repairers do this for the foam+support beam.

got nothing to do with 'fools assumption".... thats what YOU are assuming.... i'm telling you what happens in the industry.

and Sir_Vtec is right about fussy buyers. When the time comes for me to sell my car, i'm willing to open up my rocker cover to show the internals for the build that was performed as long as the buyer is serious and puts a deposit down.. enough for me to replace the gaskets. Experienced car buyers will check EVERYTHING. There are many tell-tale signs of an acco car, but at the possibility the acco was minor and the bumper was replaced you'd still check for those things.

eght
15-05-2009, 11:53 AM
funnily enough most don't. i have had first hand experience with this and a few others.. and i'm willing to name a few said body repair shops via PM too so as to not openly 'defame'

The said support bar was included in the repair quote. It was neither repaired or replaced but simply removed.... why? because it's an easy $300 pocket money for the 'dodgy repairer'. But A LOT of repairers do this for the foam+support beam.

got nothing to do with 'fools assumption".... thats what YOU are assuming.... i'm telling you what happens in the industry.

and Sir_Vtec is right about fussy buyers. When the time comes for me to sell my car, i'm willing to open up my rocker cover to show the internals for the build that was performed as long as the buyer is serious and puts a deposit down.. enough for me to replace the gaskets. Experienced car buyers will check EVERYTHING. There are many tell-tale signs of an acco car, but at the possibility the acco was minor and the bumper was replaced you'd still check for those things.

Yeah I've read the AAMI dodgy repair thread haha.

I was referring to the assumption that if the foam absorber is missing means the vehicle had been in an accident is a fools assumption. I'm saying that there are much more applicable assumptions to make that result in the same conclusion that dont involve going to all that trouble to check whether the foam absorber is there or not. As i agreed with you before, you said mismatched panels, different colours in the engine bay etc would already put you off the vehicle before you even get to whats behind the front bar.

If the buyer puts down a deposit then sure anyone would be happy to go to such extents. After the buyer puts down a deposit, doesnt matter whether hes a tight arse buyer or a fussy buyer as hes already put his money where his mouth is. However there are more fussy buyers on a budget then baller fussy buyers and this means more than likely they're not going to put down a deposit before they ask you to turn your vehicle inside out. So hence the question, are you willing to potentially waste time, resources and the possibility of devaluing your asset everytime a fussy buyer inquires about your vehicle? The answer is obviously no.

dsp26
15-05-2009, 12:01 PM
^^^lol:thumbsup:

i'm getting mixed up with who i was speaking to... so many different convo's in this thread. but yeah agreed

and yes my experience was also with one of AAMI's "preferred repairer".. the other was with an Allianz "preferred repairer". both accos happened to my Nissan 2 weeks apart not my fault lol, front then rear.

eght
15-05-2009, 12:07 PM
haha yeah. You definently need to know your rights when dealing with insurance companies and never ever let your insurance company decide who your repairer is! Legal advice is definently recommended.

off - topic..are you at work dsp26? because i am. OH makes me so unproductive haha. and bad luck...getting hit in the front and rear within a month would be stressful dealing with insurance companies :S

dsp26
15-05-2009, 12:10 PM
haha yeah. You definently need to know your rights when dealing with insurance companies and never ever let your insurance company decide who your repairer is! Legal advice is definently recommended.

off - topic..are you at work dsp26? because i am. OH makes me so unproductive haha. and bad luck...getting hit in the front and rear within a month would be stressful dealing with insurance companies :S

yeah i am at work.. coz my net got capped at home lol. i feel the need to help out here and there:angel:

neo_phase
15-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Is it bad when I'm not doing the work I'm supposed to do at work and spend time on OH instead?

NRMA was really efficient with my accident and even managed to get the car hire cost reimbursed from the other insurance party. Un-worrying indeed :D

Sir_vtec
15-05-2009, 02:02 PM
mate are you trying to tell me that you're going to remove and install your front bar every time a buyer comes to inspect your vehicle? Thats just plain stupidity. Thats as ignorant as saying you're going to remove the gearbox to inspect the clutch and flywheel just because your a fussy buyer. utter ignorance. While you're at it why don't you disassemble the engine and inspect its internals?

And besides that fact, how many fussy buyers are there? Fussy buyers are a minority and in my books, time wasters. In my eyes they come and inspect a vehicle and demand a perfect vehicle. Well buddy, if your so fussy and are concerned with whats behind the front bar, go buy a brand new car.

Also, do you think sellers are going to let you take apart their valuable asset? Of course not. Again if you want to try and argue this, thats just plain ignorance. No one is going to let some john smith take apart their vehicle.

You are ignorant.

Removing a bumper is a 5min job man. how can you compare removing a bumper to removing a gearbox.
If a buyer inspects my car and asks me to remove the bumper... yes i will remove it because its a 5 MINUTE JOB

Unless your trying to tell me it takes you 1hr to remove or fitting a bumper? ROFL

So justify why its stupidity to remove a bumper if a buyer asks you to???? And why are u talking about taking motors and gearboxs apart when the level of difficulty is different to dismantling a bumper???? LOL you doushe...

Also, if a seller knows his car inside out and he/she will take the bumper off for you. BECAUSE we are on a honda forum most sellers on here know their shit so i think theyd be happy to take it off for you if you ask nicely.

dupac->
15-05-2009, 03:02 PM
relax kensta
lol

ill tell u to get facked if u told me to take off my front bar
hahaha

give me $50 and ill do it
ahahha

MWAKU
15-05-2009, 05:17 PM
^ rofl hahahaha

eght
15-05-2009, 05:35 PM
relax kensta
lol

ill tell u to get facked if u told me to take off my front bar
hahaha

give me $50 and ill do it
ahahha

haha exactly. See my point sir_vtec?

If a buyer inspects my car and asks me to remove the bumper... yes i will remove it because its a 5 MINUTE JOB
See how ignorant you are? You're saying that removing the bumper off YOUR vehicle is a 5min job. Not the opening posters vehicles and not others. Ignorance = narrow minded and the inability to see past their own experience.
For all we know, the opening poster might be driving an NSX and your so ignorant to see past yourself that OP or anyone in their right mind would remove and install their front bar every time a buyer inspects their vehicle. its proposterous.

Open up your eyes mate, and im not being racist, not everyone owns an EG worth $5k like you and not everyone knows how to remove and install their front bar in 5 mins like you.

So justify why its stupidity to remove a bumper if a buyer asks you to???? And why are u talking about taking motors and gearboxs apart when the level of difficulty is different to dismantling a bumper???? LOL you doushe...
I was using the opening up of the gearbox as an analogy. I'm saying thats what its like. I'm saying, as stated in above posts that:

I'm saying that there are much more applicable assumptions to make that result in the same conclusion that dont involve going to all that trouble to check whether the foam absorber is there or not. As i agreed with you before, you said mismatched panels, different colours in the engine bay etc would already put you off the vehicle before you even get to whats behind the front bar.

So i compared it to seperating the gearbox from the block. I'm saying that seperating the gearbox from the block is excessive as you can by other means, for example, test drive the vehicle instead of seperating the gearbox from the block to inspect the clutch when you could have deduced the same conclusion by test driving it.

As i've said before, I would and dsp26 agreed, we'd comply with most of the buyers request once they've put down a deposit. why? Because putting down a deposit implies or expressly (if in writing) that the buyer is obliged to purchase the vehicle. From here on in, the buyer has free reign over the vehicle, for his sake he can take off the front bar as many times for all i care as he is liable for any damages and if that buyer decides after he has damaged your vehicle to not fulfill his obligations, you can uphold his side of the bargain through the small claims tribunal for little costs.

Sir_vtec
15-05-2009, 07:00 PM
haha exactly. See my point sir_vtec?
Ignorance = narrow minded and the inability to see past their own

Open up your eyes mate, and im not being racist, not everyone owns an EG worth $5k like you and not everyone knows how to remove and install their front bar in 5 mins like you.

I was using the opening up of the gearbox as an analogy. I'm saying thats what its like. I'm saying, as stated in above posts that:

Ignorance= lack of knowledge.

Go open a dictionary and tell me the meaning of 'ignorance'? Ignorance has no relevance to narrow minded.

For your information Du was only kidding. So i dont see your point, maybe you can try and clarify your point.

How can you say that my eg is worth 5K when you havent even see it? now shouldnt you be opening your eyes?

Your analogy of a gearbox being taken apart compared to taking a bumper is way off so maybe you should try and think of another comparsion. Its just like comparing apples to oranges.

This arguement will never end because you are ignorant and too stuborn.