PDA

View Full Version : windscreen chips - repair or replace

unity
15-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Just some advice please. A stone hit my windscreen and left 2 very small chips about the size of a bread crumb and about 1cm apart. The chips are located in the blue tinted part of the windscreen above the line of the steering wheel. They are not in my direct vision. The repairs will be fully covered by insurance.

Could you please advise whether it's better to get the chips repaired or have the whole windscreen replaced? Are there any advantages using one method over another?

Thanks

dsp26
15-05-2009, 02:54 PM
easily fixable.

you can get those windscreen syringe kits for like $30 from auto stores. used it a few times, they work quite well when done properly on a very sunny day.

the only bung ones i've done are the slightly deeper ones that have had dirt seep through the chips/cracks that couldn't be cleaned. the dirt stays inside lol

If your not confident to do it, Windscreen O'Brien can do it for you

Joe kickarse
15-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Costs about $120 to get it fixed by Windscreen O'Brien. No need to replace windscreen unless it starts cracking from where the chip is...

TONTON
15-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Costs about $120 to get it fixed by Windscreen O'Brien. No need to replace windscreen unless it starts cracking from where the chip is...

Err depends on the type of crack, because i got mine fixed by obrian and it looked the same...

Joe kickarse
15-05-2009, 03:29 PM
if the chip and crack doesn't exceed the size of 1 dollar coin it's repairable

unity
15-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I am happy to get it done professionally because insurance will be paying. I just took my car to National windscreens and the guy told me that the chips are actually "sandblasts" and that they can't be repaired. But he is still happy to replace my whole windscreen if I want to. Is it worth replacing the whole windscreen?

digitobi
15-05-2009, 03:42 PM
If its covered under insurance and your entitled to 1 free windscreen a yr, y not. Particularly if your close to renewing the insurance. if its just chipped or etched the glass, it most likely wont turn into a crack. i had a million small chips on my windscreen from highway driving, they got annoying as hell when it rained or it was sunny. the windscreen would turn into a mosaic :/

Joe kickarse
15-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Can you post pics of the chips to show us unity?

unity
15-05-2009, 03:58 PM

I'll try. I guess you are right digitobi. They do seem too small and not worth worrying about. But I'll get one more opinion.

I contacted a repairer from Vermont Melbourne called Knight's Windsceens and they are adament they can repair any chip no matter how small. But I have read on the VACC site that sandblasts can't be repaired. Has any one dealt with Knight's Windscreens?

TONTON
15-05-2009, 04:21 PM
if the chip and crack doesn't exceed the size of 1 dollar coin it's repairable

Depends on the type of crack man, Anyways what happend with my car was like a 2mm crack. Anyways what the obrian guys said was that, theres a 10% chance that it will keep cracking and if it does then we will happily refund you the price of this repair when you get a new windscreen.

But if you have insurance for it, just get a new windscreen man.

unity
15-05-2009, 04:25 PM

Sorry picture didn't come out. It's dark in my garage and the flash really distorts the picture.

It just seems a hassle to get the whole thing replaced if there is no need to. They have to remove the windscreen moulding down the side and probably will stuff something else in the process. As long as I know they won't get any bigger over time then I'm happy. But even if they do it will still be covered by insurance down the track.

daltonix
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
My prelude collects stones into the windscreen like a magnet.
I used to use O'Brian but they are to expensive and i found out recently that the equipment that they use is not so superb as they claim. Also don't believe in and of those chip products in the shops, they don't do the job right, always there are air bubbles inside the crack that will eventually start to crack.
My last 3 chips were fixed by a smaller company called Ezyfix Windscreen in Brisbane.
That guy explained to me in plain language how it supposed to be fixed it using dry vacuum welding bridge that firstly removes all moisture and air from the crack and then under pressure injects high strength and flexibility resin curring it via exact proportion of UV light. They also can do repairs if you require on different color of glass like amber, green or blue. My cracks are smooth and invisible, you have to take a magnification glass to really see it where it was hit. Really impressive, i can only recommend those guys if you looking for best quality job. They charged me $88.00 for the first chip and $44 for additional ones.
PS. I play music in my car up to 120dB where the Bass flexes the windows from vibrations, guess what - all chips repaired are sound:)
If you want call them on 1800 399 349 they service all Brisbane areas. I think they do affordable replacements too in case your crack/chip is to big.

CivicEH9
12-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Not to get off-track here but... 120dB? If you're in the car with the music that loud it's not the windows I would be worrying about

daltonix
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Not to get off-track here but... 120dB? If you're in the car with the music that loud it's not the windows I would be worrying about

:wave: I know, I know:) it's a silent Killer but i don't play it constantly on such volume.
I put recently tain horns on it where it says they do even more 150dB when measured 3m in front of it.
Cost me $700US but you should see how it does wonders on our highways. :)

CivicEH9
12-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Fair enough. I'd still be careful though because that's loud enough to be doing damage pretty much straight away
Your ears though and I must admit loud music is fun lol

grifty
12-11-2010, 09:18 PM

another $40-50 on top and you can get a new windscreen installed lol

aznstyler
12-11-2010, 11:05 PM
another $40-50 on top and you can get a new windscreen installed lol

thats what i was just about to say, you may aswell replace a new windscreen. i got my one on a EG done at ROYS windscreen they come to you for $165 this is in melbourne. aswell.