PDA

View Full Version : bad take-offs

VTECnique
15-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi guys. Got an '00 EK1. lately i have noticed its a bit week on take-offs, at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. if i dont give it enough throttle, it bogs down really low then comes back to life. I have a funny feeling it has something to do with the engine mounts, or inserts. but if you think otherwise, let me know. thanks...

beeza
15-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds like the tps voltage needs collaborating.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100843&highlight=tps+sensor

Instead of using the strips of wire as it says in the DIY,I just taped needles onto the multimeter tips and poked them into the wire to read the voltage.

Note: I had to grind the rivets off my TB and replace them with screws to be able to move the tps and hence set the voltage.From the factory they are riveted in but overtime they must foul up cause mine ran a heap better after I did this.

saikou27
15-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi guys. Got an '00 EK1. lately i have noticed its a bit week on take-offs, at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. if i dont give it enough throttle, it bogs down really low then comes back to life. I have a funny feeling it has something to do with the engine mounts, or inserts. but if you think otherwise, let me know. thanks...

my car did this too. it was back to normal after a basic service. could be anything though from the clutch to something simple like fuel quality

beeza
15-05-2009, 07:10 PM
my car did this too. it was back to normal after a basic service. could be anything though from the clutch to something simple like fuel quality

So true.Fuel filter is another common cause.

'Issues' like this can be a great means to learn about your engine.It has certainly worked for me.

It can be cheaper taking it too your mechanic but you don't learn anything.If you want to learn,you have to get in there and eliminate everything 1 by 1.

Many things can be eliminated for little or no cost,like:

- tps voltage collaborate
- Tappet adjustment
- Clean your IACV and TB
- Upper engine cleaner
- Check/clean/replace plugs and leads
- Clean contact points in dizzy + rotor (lightly sand tip)

The above can be done for bugger all,it may not fix the problem but at least they are eliminated and you will know that these parts of the engine are running the best they can.Then you can keep on with finding the problem yourself while learning,Ozhonda helps here!
Yes,it can be easier and cheaper to take it to a mechanic to find the problem but where's the fun/learning in that?!?

VTECnique
16-05-2009, 07:09 AM
clutch feels fine, its going for a service next week i believe. Havent changed the fuel filter since ive had the car. last time I changed the oil, i checked the spark plugs, the tips didnt look to good at all, so it may be time to change plugs, & while im at it may aswell change the leads aswell.

since i do wanna learn a bit about my engine, im going to buy a compression tester & a timing light. have no idea what my compression is, & im planning to turbo the Y4. im also getting an oil pressure gauge, obviously to monitor oil pressure, ive heard alot of oil pump failures with the D16Y series engines.

VTECnique
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread guys, but yeah went to the mechanics, actually i went a couple of months ago. the checked everything, & only came back with the drivers side torque mount was 'buggered'. Which may be the reason why for the 'sluggish' launches.

As im a cheap ass, im deff going to fill the trq mounts with sikaflex, see if that helps at all.

Beeza - im sure the mechs would have checked the tps voltage.

Ive been thinking of fitting a 2-layer head gasket to slightly up compression to help with performance (im hoping).

vinnY
12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
when you say 'not enough throttle' what rpm range are you talking about?
trying to take off at 700rpm isn't gonna help

VTECnique
13-08-2009, 07:51 AM
The car idles at 850rpm. When i launch, i usually launch around 1500rpm or if im racing, usually between 3000rpm to 4000rpm...

When i launch at 1500rpm, i still feel it bogs down, like there's not enough torque to get it moving & it nearly stalls, i have to bury the throttle 2/3rds to get it going...

I have been taking it easy lately 'cause i just got new rubber fitted.

vinnY
14-08-2009, 01:04 PM
fuel supply problem? sticky throttle plate? bad spark plugs/leads? worn dizzy?

flipfire
14-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Changed your sparkies and fuel filter?

MikeyG
14-08-2009, 05:46 PM
well it is a d16y4 lol

hisoka
14-08-2009, 05:50 PM
do you have a pod filter or some sort of open intake (no filter) ?

VTECnique
14-08-2009, 07:37 PM
got a pod, havent changed my plugs lately, but they've done about 80k-ish. Last time i had a look at them, the tips were a bit black. Wouldnt a mechanic have checked the plugs though? I would like to change my ignition leads to NGK items, anyone know a part no for D16Y4?

beeza
14-08-2009, 07:45 PM
A small wire brush + metho/turps will clean those plugs up!

Then gap them correctly with feeler guages.

I would just use OEM leads personally.Most OEM products are superior to aftermarket crap.

Honda make great quality parts and that's why when doing a build most guys stick to OEM parts.

I thought for a long time,if you swap a factory part over to an aftermarket part,it must be better.In Honda's case,this is not true and Honda's part are simply stronger,longer lasting and perform better than most aftermarket parts.Especially the part about lasting longer...