PDA

View Full Version : Anyways of getting cold air in a stock box?

Qwooootz
01-11-2004, 10:35 PM
As i know alot of you are aware of the "U" shaped piping in the EK Air Box, is there a pipe which can replace that to a pipe that comes down for Cold air? would it do anything? or would it just be as good to remove the "U" piping and let air flow straight from the bottom of the box.?

KB
01-11-2004, 10:41 PM
just cut that u thing in half so it draws air in from behind the bar.

Baopham
02-11-2004, 01:17 AM
read hot 4's magazine.. they featured making ur stock box into a cold air intake many many times

Terry
02-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I took out the U shape pipe, make a hole on fount pumper and get a 3" prastic pipe to feed the cold air into the box.....very effective indeed.

PS:To maximise the effect of CAI, u can take your right hand side head light off!!! :D

egSi
02-11-2004, 07:33 AM
go to like a hardware store and make up some custom shit.

usually consisting of cable ties and duct tape. :) i got this on my eg into a EG6 stock box, should be similar to your eK. these are old pic, its a bit different now.

i cut a hole in the front bar where the fake 'brake duct' is, blah blah just use some common sence when making some ducting up.

i know these pics look ghetto but least it works

http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1217&stc=1

http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1215&stc=1

02-11-2004, 10:33 AM
thats nice man... i was finkin of doing that for my ek...

Qwooootz
02-11-2004, 10:06 PM
read hot 4's magazine.. they featured making ur stock box into a cold air intake many many times

Bao hrmm by any chance do u have the thread link? but anyways ill go try search heheh..

EGSi nice job.. i thot about doing the same from the bumper where the foglights should be but ive considere puttin foglights instead..

but thanks for the input guys!>.. just one mroe question which came to mind alot of CAI head out in a grill or somehting, how about if i just customise some pipe which heads to the ground would it be just as effective or atleast suck cooler air than it would normally would with the "U"

egSi
03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
but thanks for the input guys!>.. just one mroe question which came to mind alot of CAI head out in a grill or somehting, how about if i just customise some pipe which heads to the ground would it be just as effective or atleast suck cooler air than it would normally would with the "U"

man ^^ that doesnt make sense.... retype it or something :confused:

then we can help ;)

Terry
03-11-2004, 08:21 AM
pipe need to face to the fount (not towards the ground)........so when the car move, air suck in.

egSi
03-11-2004, 08:31 AM
pipe need to face to the fount (not towards the ground)........so when the car move, air suck in.

air suck in? very technical terry!!

bahahah u crack me up, but yes all a pipe aimed at teh ground is gonna do is suck up hot air off the road

Qwooootz
03-11-2004, 09:05 AM
hahaha thanks question answered lol..

|N|
04-11-2004, 10:07 PM

usually consisting of cable ties and duct tape. :) i got this on my eg into a EG6 stock box, should be similar to your eK. these are old pic, its a bit different now.

i cut a hole in the front bar where the fake 'brake duct' is, blah blah just use some common sence when making some ducting up.

trav... thats wat i m goin to do ... but apart from cold air .. will i be gettin water in as well??? in rainy days..

egSi
05-11-2004, 08:14 AM
trav... thats wat i m goin to do ... but apart from cold air .. will i be gettin water in as well??? in rainy days..

nick mang! u havent hooked it up yet? lazy mofo lol :D

man, up here we get like terrential down pour and it floods..

like the rain in jurassic park lol.

no water has ever gone all the way up the pipe into my filter, the 'ribbed' pipe i think helps allot with that so not sure if you should really get that pipe or what, but mine stays drier than a nuns ****. ;)

EK9
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
no water has ever gone all the way up the pipe into my filter, the 'ribbed' pipe i think helps allot with that so not sure if you should really get that pipe or what, but mine stays drier than a nuns ****. ;)
um, yeah... great way to put it dude :p

if ur just running the pipe up to the engine bay near the filter, water would most likely not be a problem. not like ur filter is attached to the other end of the hose - if this was the case it would suck up anything u put thru the opening.... like dem cai's (sorry, still don't trust them). hope i make sense.

SiR JDM
06-11-2004, 01:21 AM
*IF* water did get into the pipe, and up the pipe and into the filter, wouldn't the filter stop it anyway, hence filtering it ? :P

EK9
06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
haha... don't think it'll 'filter' out the water james... just cleans the air. ;)

michael_antoi
06-11-2004, 01:26 PM
how much hp would this increase?

saboteur
06-11-2004, 04:10 PM
For a breeze, 300hp at the REAR wheels. Just kidding, prob just a few hp up high in the rev range.

|N|
07-11-2004, 04:02 PM
nick mang! u havent hooked it up yet? lazy mofo lol :D

man, up here we get like terrential down pour and it floods..

like the rain in jurassic park lol.

hahaha... still haven got the time to do it yet... :o ... busy with exams mate... can i just ask where did u get the pipe from? and when i do make this setup.... should i leave a gap btn the pipe and the stock air box? or should i stick it rite into the airbox... so it gets all the cold air?
thx

civic_ek
07-11-2004, 09:00 PM
hey u can definatly feel the difference between the stock intake and my cold air intake in my ek civic....its insane dude.....no more dropping back to 3rd up a hill.. the cold air going straight through my k&n filter and into my car realy makes a difference....but i felt a massive difference when i did my aswel because i put a set of manderl bend headers high flow cat and 2 1/4 zorst system..... but i took it out and then re desinged it agian and u can tell the difference when its on the car....

aimre
11-11-2004, 11:12 AM
egSi:

can u post up more pics of how u installed the cold air intake... like more detail so i know what to do lol.... thanx

egSi
11-11-2004, 11:29 AM
egSi:

can u post up more pics of how u installed the cold air intake... like more detail so i know what to do lol.... thanx

like a diy thing u mean man?

aimre
11-11-2004, 02:43 PM
like a diy thing u mean man?

yeah mate...
thanx

Terry
11-11-2004, 06:13 PM
One sharp knife.......5 dollars
3" plastic pipe........30 dollars
Have a CAI on you car......Priceness :D

DIY CAI is very easy.....For EK just take away the factory U pipe (located under the factory airbox).....make a hole in your pumper, fit the pipe in......all get done less than 1 hr

|N|
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM

DIY CAI is very easy.....For EK just take away the factory U pipe (located under the factory airbox).....make a hole in your pumper, fit the pipe in......all get done less than 1 hr

can i ask wats the best material i shud use?? and where can i get it,...
also another prob. how shud i keep the pipe in the rite position..??

saboteur
13-11-2004, 09:52 PM
I tried to buy some of that piping and the only ones they had were pipes with slits on them everywhere to drain water or something. You gotta buy like a 20m roll too. Where'd you get yours?

aimre
13-11-2004, 11:17 PM

i got an EG, after the air box theres a maze of pipes

EK9
13-11-2004, 11:36 PM
I tried to buy some of that piping and the only ones they had were pipes with slits on them everywhere to drain water or something. You gotta buy like a 20m roll too. Where'd you get yours?
the exact prob i ran into wen at Bunnings... dat's all they had, nothin else.
i know there are other places, but haven't had time to go check em out.

so now i still haven't got piping :( ... anyone got sum leftover in melb?? i'll pay for it.. i'll even do a diy write up if i get my hands on sum piping this week :D

Terry
14-11-2004, 08:53 AM
3" piping? Autobran man...........just tell the staff u want to do the CAI.....normally they charge $40 for the pipe but X'mas may have special discount! :D

EK9
14-11-2004, 07:49 PM
40 bucks? i ain't paying that... i dun think a piece of plastic piping costs that much!
i'd rather buy 20m of it for 30 bucks at bunnings den split it wif ppl on here... hehe :D

luzinit
15-11-2004, 06:24 AM
hahahah, vinh get the 20m, i'll split it wif ya, then u can distribute some to melbournians, and ill sell some to sydney ppls...... ;p

egSi
15-11-2004, 07:39 AM
hey guys try to go to a plumbing place,
like some where that does, irragation, spas, pools, kitchens etc.

dont get that shit with the holes in it. that shit is gay :thumbdwn:

nedgeworth
15-11-2004, 08:02 AM
If you get the stuff with hole is in you can just wrap tape around it to seal it up. You'll find most plumbing places will sell the stuff by the mtr

rly1
15-11-2004, 06:52 PM
40 bucks? i ain't paying that... i dun think a piece of plastic piping costs that much!
i'd rather buy 20m of it for 30 bucks at bunnings den split it wif ppl on here... hehe :D

Hey EK9! I'm in Melbourne, I'll split it with u if u can get ur hands on it :)
otherwise I'll try find it myself too

Qwooootz
15-11-2004, 10:28 PM
any pics of this pipe every1s talking about? lol

egSi
16-11-2004, 09:45 AM
any pics of this pipe every1s talking about? lol

dunno what pipe evryone is talking about but here my car.

ghetto till i die lol.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=348

saboteur
16-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Can you bring some on OzHonda cruise? :D

|N|
16-11-2004, 09:02 PM
trav... i want that pipe...

vtc
16-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey guys.. on the subject of airboxes.. How the hell do you put the stuck one back in?? There are two screws on top and then a rubber snap on thing down the bottom. I cant seem to get the rubber back in... do u push down from the top? or slide in hard from the side? anyone?

EK9
17-11-2004, 01:48 PM
guys, i'm gonna go check out sum places today or tmrw... so if it's cheap, i'll buy sum extra. can melb ppl and those going to sorrento cruise this sunday let me know if they're interested? pm me... sorry if i'm going o/t

vtc: ok, u mean the ek air box? like u said, there's 2 screws near the strut i think... the only rubber thing at the bottom i know is the one that sits on a screw. it just sits on there, no need to jam it in or anything. it's pretty easy to put in, no dramas... hope that helps.

vtc
17-11-2004, 03:21 PM
It just sits ontop?
really.. i thought its suppose to snap in or sumtin.. its a rubber piece.. im sure you have to lock it in but goddam its hard!

For 99-00 owners.. when you run the cold air from the side vents.. do u have to cut a hole in the plastix to line it up with the hole of the stock box?

egSi
17-11-2004, 03:24 PM
trav... i want that pipe...

really? its ghetto man, ill get u some if u want, but shipping will be gay...

Can you bring some on OzHonda cruise? :D
u talking to me man?

|N|
22-11-2004, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=egSi]really? its ghetto man, ill get u some if u want, but shipping will be gay...

yea i reckon... so i might just think of sth to buy from u ... then u can send them over together.. more business == more discounts;

:D

egSi
22-11-2004, 05:24 PM
yea i reckon... so i might just think of sth to buy from u ... then u can send them over together.. more business == more discounts;

:D

word nick, make it happen man

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey guys.. on the subject of airboxes.. How the hell do you put the stuck one back in?? There are two screws on top and then a rubber snap on thing down the bottom. I cant seem to get the rubber back in... do u push down from the top? or slide in hard from the side? anyone?

from the side. half on top, half at the bottom

|N|
04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
word nick, make it happen man
it will happen man... just give me some time to get some cash around

Nodachi
09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
ok where can i cut the bumper for a 96 Ek???

mrwillz
13-07-2005, 06:48 PM
ok i gota a 00 model civic GLi

if i was to remove the factory air box and U shape intake, wot about this other plastic bit that crosses over the U shape pipe? i haf no idea wth it does? i've seen pics of engines completely removiing it.
ne comments?

|N|
13-07-2005, 06:50 PM
look here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513&page=1&pp=12

a DIY thread and some discussion on it.... should answer ur question

b2b
09-02-2012, 08:10 PM

I've done that too, except my bumper doesn't have space where I need it, at the moment it leads to underneath the bumper but I'll get around to cutting out a hole for it. A mate of mine even installed a small fan to increase air flow and also offers slight filtering.