PDA

View Full Version : dome light problem

JDMHNI
15-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi people,

I need help fixing my dome light. I have already read other similar threads but my problem still remains. When I bought my eg, the dome light didn't work so I replaced it with a new one and the light would turn on, but then the next time it does not work so I took it out and placed it back in and it'll work but now it does not work regardless. I have already checked the fuses in the car and engine bay.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. =)

Also, a few other things in the car have now stopped working.
My wipers do not work when it is on interval but it works when I change it to low or high.
The light in the boot doesn't turn on anymore and is there a light in the coin compartment? If there is, that's not working either.

kcokla
15-05-2009, 07:56 PM
dome light? as in the car light inside?
from the sounds of it it soundsl ike loose wiring
perhaps make sure the bulb is fine, turn it on and juggle it in certain directions, if the light flickers on and off at all, its definately wiring

JDMHNI
15-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah I've tried that but it does not turn on at all and the bulb is brand new. I will give it another go though.
thanks for the reply.

kcokla
15-05-2009, 08:54 PM
if it used to work and all the fuses are fine i cant imagine what else it could be a loose connection or a broken connection more or less
take out the dome light part itself, not the buld, follow the wires and check them all!
somewhat of a big job especially if u dont know what your doing id imagine

ATSE
16-05-2009, 10:38 AM
make sure the two metal holders either side of the bulb are straight. Mine did that a while ago, but the metal holders weren't straight. I straighten them up, ensuring enough contact with the bulb, and they've worked ever since.

zachge
18-05-2009, 01:11 AM
If you happen to have a multimeter on you check if you're getting a voltage at the light fitting (no bulb in it)
if not, double and triple check your fuses, if you're 100% sure they're fine, i'd put my money on wiring problems.

JDMHNI
23-05-2009, 02:30 PM
If you happen to have a multimeter on you check if you're getting a voltage at the light fitting (no bulb in it)
if not, double and triple check your fuses, if you're 100% sure they're fine, i'd put my money on wiring problems.

I measured the voltage across the two plates where the bulb is supposed to sit and I got ~0.5V. Not sure if this is what I'm supposed to get but this means that the fuse hasn't burnt out?

I also removed the two bolts that hold the bracket for the light and the plates and wiring are all in contact but the 2 wires go into the roof so I couldn't really look any further.

flipfire
23-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Your supposed to get a voltage of 12v DC or more if your engine is on

JDMHNI
27-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Is there a light in the coin compartment? Because that's not working anymore either as well as the light in the boot. Is there a separate fuse for each one of these? Or do they all fall under interior light? Should I replace the fuse anyway? or is there something else I can do to try fix it?