PDA

View Full Version : fcked up intake manifold screw

redmugenjazz
17-05-2009, 01:33 AM
hey to all those diy jazz owners out there. I was installing silicone radiator hoses the other day and had to remove the intake manifold. I over torqued one of the intake manifold screws. Now i can't even open it and remove the bolt. I just left it there for now but could i do anything to fix it. My freinds told me to get it re threaded but will it still be able to retain the same amount of torque after i re-thread it? if i were to get it re-threaded how much would it cost from honda? thanks in advance, nam

fitvpower
17-05-2009, 01:56 AM
time to buy a whale penis lol

kongfu
17-05-2009, 02:28 AM
better ask honda dealer or mechanic instead of wasting time here.

aaronng
17-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Leave the intake manifold screw on. Don't touch it. The next time you take it off, the thread will probably be busted. You will need to buy a new screw (you can get it at any auto parts shop), and you have to clean the thread on the engine head side using the thread cleaner of the correct size. A metric thread cleaner kit will set you back about $100 or so from Snap on. Thread cleaner kit is the way to go, don't use a tap and die kit as that will cut down the threads.

redmugenjazz
17-05-2009, 02:52 PM
oh thanks dude, just a question about the re-thread kit, would it the screw hole still be able to be fully torqued to the factory specs (22Nm - 16 pounds)?

redmugenjazz
17-05-2009, 02:52 PM
better ask honda dealer or mechanic instead of wasting time here.

don't bother waste time posting on this thread................

aaronng
17-05-2009, 03:02 PM
oh thanks dude, just a question about the re-thread kit, would it the screw hole still be able to be fully torqued to the factory specs (22Nm - 16 pounds)?

Yes, it will. 22Nm does not involve much muscle strength at all, which is the reason why your threads are stuffed up from just hand tightening.

redmugenjazz
17-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Are you sure you are talking about the intake manifold or do you mean the black airbox where the air filter sits?

There is no reason to remove the intake manifold to change hoses.

A photo would help.

yea dude, its the screw which bolts the manifold onto the engine block. In the process i also changed all those black ~5mm pipes which started to degrade, i think i was the evap hose which i need to gain access to. well thnx for all your input, i'll head down to bunnings tomor to sus out the re-thread kit.

aaronng
17-05-2009, 10:42 PM
yea dude, its the screw which bolts the manifold onto the engine block. In the process i also changed all those black ~5mm pipes which started to degrade, i think i was the evap hose which i need to gain access to. well thnx for all your input, i'll head down to bunnings tomor to sus out the re-thread kit.

Bunnings only sells a tapping thread kit, not a thread cleaner kit. For thread cleaner, you can try Bursons or Total Tools. I got mine from Snap On (you can buy online)

rossirider
17-05-2009, 11:52 PM
how would you know if you need a thread cleaner or a tie and tap set? I think I messed up the bolt hole for the hinge to my car door. The bolt is screwed and I think the hole is messed up too. I tried to put another bolt in there but it wouldn't go in. Any suggestions?

aaronng
18-05-2009, 12:14 AM
how would you know if you need a thread cleaner or a tie and tap set? I think I messed up the bolt hole for the hinge to my car door. The bolt is screwed and I think the hole is messed up too. I tried to put another bolt in there but it wouldn't go in. Any suggestions?
The difference is in the materials and the gap in between the cleaning slit.

Thread cleaner pushes the old threads back into place and cuts part of the old thread if totally stuffed.

A tap set is designed to cut new threads into a blank hole. If you use it on old threads, it will cut out some of the old damaged threads which is something you don't want to happen too much. But you can use it to tap a bigger hole and use a matching thicker bolt.

A thread cleaner set is a worthwile investment. But if you can't find or afford one, a tap and die set is still better than nothing at all.

rossirider
18-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that explanation. I'm guessing that the thread cleaner will come in all sorts of thread pitches and sizes. You just have to find out what size the bolt is and thread right and match it up. Do you need any kind of cutting oil or anything to go with it?

I just tried to go to the snap on website to buy one but the site is down :(

aaronng
25-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for that explanation. I'm guessing that the thread cleaner will come in all sorts of thread pitches and sizes. You just have to find out what size the bolt is and thread right and match it up. Do you need any kind of cutting oil or anything to go with it?

I just tried to go to the snap on website to buy one but the site is down :(

Sorry I missed this, but yes. If you use some light oil like Singer oil or a little bit of engine oil, it will extend the life of the thread cleaner. In the worst case where you can't get any oil, spray some WD40 on the thread cleaner before using it.