PDA

View Full Version : intake air. which is bad n which is good

MWAKU
18-05-2009, 12:27 AM
atm im running my stock airbox with a k&n panel filter

but i just recently bought another stock airbox, but with a large cut out on one side (facing opposite to engine) and a smaller, say 6cm hole, facing the engine, but thats practically blocked off due to the battery sitting right next to my box.

anyway, this does make my induction noise slightly higher, but is it sucking in much hot air?

is the sucking of hot air that decreases the fuel economy? or just the total of air consumed?

this setup obviously sucks in more air, as previously, the only air that was sucked in was from a hole in the bottom which leads to where the resonator USED to be. now its sucked in from like 3 directions, one from a massive 3x15cm hole, a 6cm circle hole and the hole from the bottom.

i'm going to try running my stock airbox with no holes and with piping to a opening in my front bar, which is probably the best thing i should do but yeah

main thing i wanna know atm is, which airbox is better, or is it pretty much the same. holes or no holes.. i'm not concerned about power gains, just petrol wise.

paps02
18-05-2009, 01:19 PM
pics.. really confusing

Chriskoss
18-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I know of some systems where people cut out a section in the stock air box.. then run another intake pipe down to the front bumper with a pod to make it a CAI system but looks OEM?? It's similar to what your talking about.. but I dont see a point in just cutting holes in the stock air box and leaving it there.. it defeats the purpose of a 'box'.. which is to trap out the hot air from the engine bay.. so if your going to do anything to the air box do what I have said IMHO

ksl
18-05-2009, 02:52 PM
you need to run a new pipe from the stock airbox to the front bumper, so is sucking colder air, there wont be any performance gain if you just cut the hole in the airbox, and yes they properly suck in hot air, which is not good to your engine

MWAKU
18-05-2009, 03:54 PM
k thanks for the replies. yes i know that running CAI is the best, i even typed that in the question that i already know, so people don't come and say what i already know

so from ur replies, probably better to run with no holes so yeah,

but i'm looking to know is more hot air, or just more air in general being sucked in gives less fuel economy.

TONTON
18-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Hot air = better fuel economy

Cold air = more hp

Theres like heaps of mad articles on google about it

Chriskoss
18-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Mwaku no need to be a smartass about it.. if your so smart why didnt you know cutting massive ****-off holes in a stock air box isn't good.. lmfao nQQB

NSPYRE
18-05-2009, 05:33 PM
lol, this just reminds me of the simpsons episode with homer making holes in his bonnt with a pick-axe after the dealer told him the hole by a gunshot in the bonnet are 'speed holes'

MWAKU
18-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Mwaku no need to be a smartass about it.. if your so smart why didnt you know cutting massive ****-off holes in a stock air box isn't good.. lmfao nQQB

what you mean being a smartass? i just said i typed about putting a CAI would be the best option yet you still had to type it and say it was your way, when clearly i already know so whats the point of saying

and secondly, i have to bottom parts of the box, and the second one is with the holes.. which was already made by the previous owner. lmao douche bag

and heres the photo of the box with the hole
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL169/1855273/21735849/361133038.jpg

redefine
19-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Tonton is correct about air temps. It doesn't matter how many holes you have in the intake they all go the same place and unless it's forced in some how you get the same amount going in no matter how it gets there. For mileage ONLY warmer is better.

not true, the same volume of air gets in, but the mass getting in greatly changes depending on the geometry and restrictiveness of the intake system, and the temparature of the air getting in. but its right about air temps.

hai
19-05-2009, 06:11 PM
SOLUTION : just buy another stock Air box and get your self air con vet/pipes and run it from the bottom of the air box where the resonator pipe use to be attached too, down towards your front bar to get air fed,

Conclusion : COLD air going thru + OEM = defect freee

Cheers,
hai

MWAKU
19-05-2009, 06:14 PM
haha yeah, buy another one? i got 2 already :P

with the one with no holes, im gunna do the pipe thing, but yeah, just cbf atm LOL.

hai
19-05-2009, 06:20 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/cool_jellyfish/untitled-4.jpg