PDA

View Full Version : broken clutch disc spring and flywheel questions

vinnY
19-05-2009, 12:37 AM
out of curiosity what happens when something in that general area breaks?

also am i correct to assume that whenever the car is on the flywheel is always in motion?
if this is the case then if the clutch disc always spinning too or only when the pressure plate is engaged?

CRXer
19-05-2009, 02:10 AM
since nobody else bothered...........

pressure plate is attached to flywheel,always spins with motor

clutch attached to gearbox/front wheels

pressure plate clamps clutch to flywheel to make the 3 spin as one

vinnY
19-05-2009, 02:17 AM
to be fair it's only been an hour and a half, didn't expect a reply until tomorrow lunch time :p

as far as i've gathered broken clutch disc springs usually don't let you shift into gear since it usually jams itself between the pressure plate and the clutch disc

thanks for the explanation crxer, sorta suspected thats how it worked but i just wanted to make sure
been troubleshooting a strange balance problem i've been having for the last year, yet to figure it out :(

Nuttz
29-05-2009, 12:28 AM
i just fixed my gearbox last week... symptoms were.. rattling noise when clutch pedal down or slipping. Hard to get into gears. This had been like this for 2 years at least but now it was starting to rattle a lot more and occasionally i was getting locked out of gears.

pulled clutch out and found 2 of the springs were had fallen loosened. They were still in place but were not being held in properly. the springs had ground down the fly wheel bolts.. so i couldnt get my flywheel off to get machined :(.

shadou
29-05-2009, 12:47 AM
^ ouch really should have gotten that looked at before shit hit the flywheel.

Limbo
29-05-2009, 02:44 PM
when i cracked my clutch plate, it would have trouble disengaging, then it would not go into gear. Real pain

dsp26
29-05-2009, 03:08 PM
happened to me vinny... either a part of the plate the holds the spring breaks off or the spring itself ceases the flywheel and clutch together.

fortunately mine seized straight away... if it does it gradually you may leave tracks on your flywheel if the spring came off that side... mine came off on the pressure plate side luckily

***EDIT***
oh yeah piccies of aftermath here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108277&highlight=ebay