PDA

View Full Version : DC2 torque damper

joe.teg
19-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey guys

Got some questions about torque dampers

My rear engine mount is broken... is it woth getting a torque damper, why are they so good, what can i expect in terms of the vibration in the car etc, are they worth the $$$.

Thanks guys:D

JasonGilholme
19-05-2009, 10:42 AM
best bet is to fix your rear engine mount.

if you have good mounts you don't need a torque damper.

torque damper = band aid solution

good engine mounts = problem fixed

IEVAQ8
19-05-2009, 10:47 AM
i had a torque damper for ages and it served me well...........cheap alternative to aftermarket engine mounts.................

but with boosted setup = more torque................i snapped the bracket.............but while the car was NA, it helped heaps.............i still have the damper if interested...lol

joe.teg
19-05-2009, 11:31 AM
what was it like, were there any vibrations, did it give you better response or anything... how juch $$$... i need it for a 95 vtir

jords
19-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey guys

Got some questions about torque dampers

My rear engine mount is broken... is it woth getting a torque damper, why are they so good, what can i expect in terms of the vibration in the car etc, are they worth the $$$.

Thanks guys:D

Replace the rear mount buddy, not that difficult.

VTi_b0i
19-05-2009, 12:04 PM
i had a torque damper for ages and it served me well...........cheap alternative to aftermarket engine mounts.................

but with boosted setup = more torque................i snapped the bracket.............but while the car was NA, it helped heaps.............i still have the damper if interested...lol

so you wouldnt recomend it for boosted cars thomas? i was going to get a J's Racing one as i have a backdoor cooler, and the turbo is connected to the cooler only by a silicon piece about 10cm long and ive already split one hose due to the motor/turbo moving and the cooler not...

IEVAQ8
19-05-2009, 12:22 PM
what was it like, were there any vibrations, did it give you better response or anything... how juch $$$... i need it for a 95 vtir

i didnt feel any vibrations or anything unusuall...............there was heaps more response and less movement of the engine but i still recommend u replace ur mount so its not stuffed and then add an engine damper

so you wouldnt recomend it for boosted cars thomas? i was going to get a J's Racing one as i have a backdoor cooler, and the turbo is connected to the cooler only by a silicon piece about 10cm long and ive already split one hose due to the motor/turbo moving and the cooler not...

i think it is a cheap and easy alternative................it stopped my engine from rocking, and stopped the intake pipe rubbing up against my radiator fan

VTi_b0i
19-05-2009, 12:27 PM
lol but how long will it last? haha worth while mod or waist of cash? :p im not gona get engine mounts for a while at least... what mounts r u running?

IEVAQ8
19-05-2009, 12:28 PM
lol but how long will it last? haha worth while mod or waist of cash? :p im not gona get engine mounts for a while at least... what mounts r u running?

well it lasted over 2 years.....i thnk thats a good ebay $80 spent.............lol

it lasted 2 track days and at least 7 1/4 days................

i'm running stock mounts

lil_foy
19-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I broke my egine dampers bracket with my n/a haha.

I defo felt the power get to the ground better with it.
In saying that tho, i'd wheelspin 2nd instead of chirping.

joe.teg
19-05-2009, 02:36 PM
well... my idea was to change the mount and add a namper like EVAQ8 said... i think it would be a good investment, are the ebay ones good or should i go for a more expensive one?

lil_foy
19-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Im using a j's racing one atm.
It's great.

joe.teg
19-05-2009, 04:12 PM
JDMConcept sell them for 295

It seems like a wise investment... were about does it bolt too?

IEVAQ8
20-05-2009, 01:18 AM
well... my idea was to change the mount and add a namper like EVAQ8 said... i think it would be a good investment, are the ebay ones good or should i go for a more expensive one?

my one was an ebay item............. bout $85 delivered

ChiLLie
20-05-2009, 08:17 AM
wow, my 95 vti-r's rear engine mount was also broken. I went to LeMann's Motors to get it fixed ( closest place to my job at the time..) they quoted me 100 bux to replace it. hahaha, (usually is only supposed to take like 45 to 60 min) . For some crazy reason, it took them 4 hours to pull the thing out and stick the new one in there.. stuff had warped and squeezed up hard. if u go get it done, make sure you're QUOTED for it first.. then they can't charge u any more ;)

joe.teg
20-05-2009, 10:33 AM
LOL, my dads a mechanic i just have to orgainse a day with him when he doesnt have much work so i can get it there a do it myself, EVAQ8 would you be interested in selling yours? If you are PM me with some pix and how much you want for it, i dont feel like spening 300 odd dollars on a damper when i can get one the same quality for nearl 1/4 the price.

Thanks mate

Tegzieboi_BAR
20-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Actually JDM Concept have them (J's racing etd) on sale for $195 atm... or at least they did last week... i picked up a spoon etd for a very good price n i love it... no in-car vibration or very, very minimal... feels a lot smoother yet more solid when changin gears... worthwhile mod but i wouldnt b payin the askin price of nearly $400 for a spoon 1.... although every bolt n bracket oozes of quality... even came with a silicon pipe n cable ties 2 prevent scrubbing up against a/c pipe... which i dont use as im gettin 5mm clearance anyway.

Get it, but dont b expecting toooo much.

VTECMACHINE
20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
no in-car vibration or very, very minimal... feels a lot smoother yet more solid when changin gears...

There should be MORE incar vibrations with ETD, and stiffer mounts etc. Not less.

Replace the rear mount, and get Energy engine mount insert. They are awesome.

Tegzieboi_BAR
20-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, so i was told repeatedly n was worried that there will b an increase but im tellin u, there was very very minimal increase in vibrations, almost cant tell the difference between before and after, even on very low idle.

Could depend on the brand ur using, the ETD on the engine side vibrates quite a bit but if u feel it on the chassis side the vibration is significantly less noticeable. I use the spoon 1, perhaps the J's racing or other brands have a harsher ETD.

VTECMACHINE
20-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah I don't think ETD's do much tbh. Energy engine mount inserts are great, if you don't want to get new stiffer engine mounts - and are cheap as shit too!

VTi_b0i
20-05-2009, 04:44 PM
lol what are they?

Tegzieboi_BAR
20-05-2009, 04:47 PM
yeah, IMO go ETD if its a daily, otherwise, if u want more (which wont be as comfortable 4 everyday driving) go with new stiffer mounts.

joe.teg
20-05-2009, 06:16 PM
yeah its a daily and will see some track work but only the occasional track day, ill go the ETD and replace my engine mount