PDA

View Full Version : Help with DC2 Vtir Brakes/Tyres

davidrobe10
19-05-2009, 01:31 PM
G'day :honda: people :)

I need a quick hand sorting out some issues on my baby DC2 95, Vti-R Integra
Since Rego/Insurance/Brakes/Service and Tyres all in the same month... and things arent matching up i came for help!

Should new pads cost me ~$220? (bennedix)
My original quote was around $400 for OEM pads, is it worth it?!
and should i machine my front rotors again if they were machined ~5,000km's ago? brings it down to ~$180

And i really need help with tyres. Its like a fkin black whole with no real answer.
I got 205/40/16's on my teg, with Falkin 512's
Great performance, not so flash in the wet but the best iv had so far.
Im having trouble finding a 205/45/16's replacment for 150-180 a corner
Can anyone help me out on my dilema.
Im looking for
Advice on :
1) Best bang for buck, allrounder tyre with equal performance/ good tread life at 205/45/16 and Where to buy them in Melbourne or online!
3) Should just buy 205/50/16 tyres since im used to the 40's anyway?! or is that a diffrent ballpark?

Honestly tyres are driving me nuts, so anyone who can suggest a tyre with GOOD tread life, GOOD speed rating and ALL round performance is greatly greatly appriciated. Iv been hunting shops trying to find people who are honest and searching forums for about a month now and the more i find, the less i know.

On another note, i seem to have a little problem with the brake peddle.
when i go to push the peddle it move's abit, clicks then starts to brake. Iv had the master cylinder replaced not long ago, could it be air in the brake fluid?! Just at a guess.

Spunkymonkey
19-05-2009, 10:37 PM
220 for new bendix pads is an expensive quote unless that's including bendix ultimates or labour cost?

set of standard bendix front pads should be around the $100 mark.

$400 for OEM pads is also a rip off.

You can see how much brake pad is left if you take a close look at your pads. the pads will normally have a limiter mark which with most pads starts making warning noises when you run low on brake pad.

Perhaps get a second opinion from another mechanic.

If your rotors aren't warped since you last had them machined then they should be ok.

RE: tyres check out the tyre recommendation thread that normally sits in the suspension section of the forum.

You don't necessarily have to stick to 40 profile tyre just because that was already on the car. Also when you are changing profiles you may impact your speedometer reading with different tyre profiles. Look for an online tyre aspect ratio calculator and you can work out the difference between the stock teg tyre profile which from memory is 195/55/15 and compare it with the profile you are choosing and it will give you the indication of the speedo difference.

My personal preference on tyres atm, is either the dunlop sp sport maxx or bridgestone re001 adrenalins although they can be at the higher end of the price bracket. You can also look at the toyo t1r's as a good bang for buck tyre that gives decent performance.

I steer clear of all falken tyres from past experience the ones I have had have been attrocious in the wet, and fine in the dry, but that's my own preference.

Hope that helps.

davidrobe10
20-05-2009, 12:21 AM
yea, they are including labour costs, would that be a good price then?
thanks a bunch for the info! it helped alot ill check out the toyo's then

Spunkymonkey
20-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I still think it's a little steep including labour...that's like 120 for labour. I'm assuming they get paid maybe $50 bucks an hour or so....wouldn't take 2 hours to change brake pads....

perhaps you check if there are some of the forum members around your area that could do it for you for a cheaper rate.

davidrobe10
23-05-2009, 03:43 PM
back again...
got some more tyre quotes.
TALEB TYRES has some good prices but only above and below the 150 range :(
are silverstone / nexxen any good?!?!?
seems to cheap to be true.
but im getting pretty desperate here. i cant find any decent tryres in melbourne at around the 150 or even upto 160 70 maxxx

davidrobe10
23-05-2009, 03:44 PM
thats for 205/45/16 btw. closest to original rolling diameter
and i havent found a brakes quote under 220 yet :( one of those unlucky weeks!

davidrobe10
28-05-2009, 05:45 PM
just an update
iv found KU36's for $165 a corner
and the brake quote is $318 for front and rear. i thought it was 220 at first, thats just the front with machining.
so its 1,000 all up.
Pretty steep but i cant find any better for the brakes, any ideas?! its going in tomorrow.