PDA

View Full Version : Cut OEM springs vs Lowered Springs

chauster
20-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Whats the difference between cut springs and low springs say Kings.

Friend said they are more dangerous (cut springs) but yeah.

give your 2c.

VT-11-RR
20-05-2009, 10:58 PM
very bumpy ride and shit handling
im sure some other guys here will give u better info that i have

Honwent
20-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Cut springs are illegal pretty much everywhere. Properly rated aftermarket lowering springs will give that lowered look and improve handling (especially when matched to the right shocks/dampers).

chauster
20-05-2009, 11:01 PM
How bad are you talking when shit handling? in comparison to them not cut.

MWAKU
20-05-2009, 11:08 PM
wells, if u cut them, that means the compression is still the same, but its a shorter distance

so, its alot more bouncy if u over humps,

M@lew
20-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Lowered springs man. Don't go cheap, or you'll get another popped tyre and have to run your space saver again. :D

But yeah, if you want quick and nasty just go get King springs or something. :)

curtis265
20-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Wut they said.

You'll stilll haev the same spring rate, but at a lower distance... and you'll be bouncing like crazy.

My friend bought a modded civic. When he turned corners, there was so much flex in teh spring that his side scraped the ground. Sparks. Woo!

chauster
20-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Kings still like 200$ I need a lip/grille =[

JohnL
22-05-2009, 09:07 AM
You'll stilll haev the same spring rate, but at a lower distance... and you'll be bouncing like crazy.

When you cut any spring shorter the spring rate increases, it doesn't remain the same (or decrease).

However, the rate is unlikely to increase enough to compensate for the resulting shorter distance from the damper top to the bump stop, so even though the spring rate has increased to some degree the suspension will bottom out more easily than previously (often a lot more easily, especially if the old dampers are OE soft, and worn...).

Properly engineered lowering springs should have an increase in rate over stock that is at least enough to minimise bottoming out. However, when spring rate is increased the damper stiffness also needs to be increased in order to control the stiffer spring, and old / worn OE dampers are unlikely to be strong enough (in fact the stiffer spring rate may soon cause a marginal old damper to fail completely).

Bottoming out the suspension is bad because it may cause damage, but more importantly because it causes instantaneous weight transfers that can make the handling dangerously unpredictable, especially near the limit of adhesion.

DogAteCat
22-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Stick with springs. Go for something like skunk2, they are cheap, stiff, lower by a fair bit (2.5"/2.25") and our american counterparts swear by it!

Check 999 automotive the trader here

3iuuop
22-05-2009, 09:51 PM
i cut springs all the time on my mates eg, handles fine i thought it was really bad cuz everyone said not to but yeh we did it on a eg and a ek still driving around no problems just scrapes hard on speed bumbs, if u decide to cut it cut it from the top so the bottom still stays in the perch.

JohnL
23-05-2009, 11:07 AM
i cut springs all the time on my mates eg, handles fine i thought it was really bad cuz everyone said not to but yeh we did it on a eg and a ek still driving around no problems just scrapes hard on speed bumbs

What may be OK driving on relatively smooth city streets at city speeds may not be OK at 110kmh (+...?) on the open road.

Like with most things, the Devil is in the detail. Just how bad it would be to cut any spring depends on two things; how much is cut, and what the original spring rate is.

If the uncut rate is relatively high then cutting the spring by X may not be a significant issue because the rate is high enough to limit suspension travel enough to avoid excessive bottoming out, despite the lowering. There will nearly always be a point beyond X that will result in problems.

The softer the uncut spring rate the more likely that cutting the spring may cause problems with bottoming out, and most stock springs are relatively soft.

Note that very low drops are likely to result in problematic bump steer which has nothing directly to do with the springs themselves (i.e. it doesn't matter how the lowering was acheived, just how much the chassis was lowered).

chauster
23-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your great replies everyone