PDA

View Full Version : Hondata vs Haltech on a dc5r?

jaseDC5R
21-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi guys..

Just wanted to get some feedback/opinions on a Hondata compared to a Haltech ECU?

cheers

dc5s
21-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Everyones going to tell you Hondata, especially if you're running a DC5R. If not, I'd like to know what drugs they're on. I won't go too much into it in terms of opinion, as I personally don't own one, however, Hondata is the answer.

In terms of feedback, the ones who run it will tell you.

Abstract from Hondata Official Site

Why should I buy a Hondata system instead of a replacement standalone computer?

Nothing runs a Honda engine as well as Honda ECU. End of story.

If your car is a daily driver then this is the system for you. If you are tuning a race only car where starting and idling is not a concern, and you need features that Hondata does not offer, like control of 8 injectors, then you will need to consider other systems. Running a Hondata system will not limit your power though. Two of the world's fastest Hondas; Erick's Racing's 9.99 second Civic and the Progress/Vortech 204 mph Civic both use Hondata systems.

If you will not be tuning the system yourself, but will be paying others for this, then the Hondata system not only drives better, it costs less, and is much faster to tune as it is supplied with numerous Honda specific maps to reduce your dyno time.

_bORdO_
22-05-2009, 06:27 PM
i guess Hondata it is then hey XD~

Chris_F
22-05-2009, 10:52 PM
bang for buck Hondata is impossible to beat.

is it impossible to beat in terms of how well it can run a honda engine? No

_bORdO_
23-05-2009, 01:35 PM
i Know for a fact that ill be purchasing a hondata ecu asap.
Chris F, i think what the abstract dc5s posted is implying; is if your not planning on taking your teg on track to run a specific course - then a Honda ECU is the only chip Honda drivers should be buying =D

jaseDC5R - http://www.haltech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=40 <--- this is an FAQ link for haltech (although it doesnt really give you much)
If you can find yourself someone who is very familiar with tuning honda's and your honda is close to stock, get the hondata ecu. you will gain much more power and at a cheaper price and there's always that piece of mind factor that your purchasing something specifically made for your car... cant go wrong ^^

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I spoke to Haltech in weatherill park and they said in about 6 weeks they will have a Platinum Sport 1000 w/ plug n Play loom for the facelift dc5 and it should retail at $1700 but the tuner should sort out a better price.

Haltech would be better then hondata.
specially on the Facelift models with the new ecu. Cause Kpro is only compatible with the prefacelift dc5
big money getting it converted and issues

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 11:27 AM
you can basiclly use the haltech on any 4cyl or rotaty car, with a universal loom, but aussie made plug and play FTMFW....

dc5s
26-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I spoke to Haltech in weatherill park and they said in about 6 weeks they will have a Platinum Sport 1000 w/ plug n Play loom for the facelift dc5 and it should retail at $1700 but the tuner should sort out a better price.

specially on the Facelift models with the new ecu. Cause Kpro is only compatible with the prefacelift dc5

This would be interesting if it is made specifically for the DC5 as it gives Honda owners options. When you say Haltech would be better, in what aspects? Do you have specifications - please post.

Also, Kpro is available for facelift DC5, just more work involved. 05-06 Harness and PRB ECU.

Let us know how you go once you install the Haltech ECU and review :thumbsup:

Kyo
26-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Can this be used on base auto dc5?
I know heaps off ppl on clubrsx and inc myself are looking for ECU that works on facelifted auto dc5.

Type S Tony
26-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Auto DC5 FTW!

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I know heaps off ppl on clubrsx and inc myself are looking for ECU that works on facelifted auto dc5.

well for the base model you can use the interceptor( which is cheap) which is a gay piggyback like the kpro. im sure if you call the technical people at haltech they will steer you to what u need:
Location 3 Centre Place, Wetherill Park NSW Australia 2164
Phone 9729 0999

dc5s
26-05-2009, 11:59 AM
well for the base model you can use the interceptor( which is cheap) which is a gay piggyback like the kpro. im sure if you call the technical people at haltech they will steer you to what u need:
Location 3 Centre Place, Wetherill Park NSW Australia 2164
Phone 9729 0999

So your thread is 'Hondata vs Haltech on a dc5r' and within a few posts you're already calling the kpro gay :eek:

Great, just the thread we need with the info that goes along with it :thumbdwn:

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 12:02 PM
my bad.
For the sensitive people. by gay i mean, it costly for facelift model, limited to DC5r ecu's. etc.

dc5s
26-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Great, you're finally bringing value to your own post :)

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Great, you're finally bringing value to your own thread :)

my own thread???:confused:

dc5s
26-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm confused too, lol

_bORdO_
26-05-2009, 02:37 PM
umm..
yeh..
i'm pretty sure jaseDC5R started this

ok so we've covered the dc5 range, how about for dc2 models.
Hondata or Haltech?

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 03:00 PM
does APEXi make ecu for dc2

_bORdO_
26-05-2009, 04:53 PM
are you refering to the power FC ecu? if so then yes.
i want something that stands alone like the k100 or K Pro, no piggy back units.

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 04:56 PM
are you refering to the power FC ecu? if so then yes.
i want something that stands alone like the k100 or K Pro, no piggy back units.

are you normal??? Hondata is piggyback

_bORdO_
26-05-2009, 04:57 PM
all of them? are u sure?
dont the 'K' models stand alone..? i must have been told wrong...

aaronng
26-05-2009, 05:49 PM

The beauty of the Haltech is that as an interceptor it can be used with any car and engine as long as it supports all the features. I'd be waiting for the Haltech Platinum so that it supports the VTC component of iVTEC, but it should work with a base auto DC5. There might not be a wiring loom for it, so you will either have to pay to get one made (the best way since you don't damage any wiring and can be uninstalled easily) or patch it directly into the wiring coming out of the ECU (cheaper but messy and troublesome down the road)

aaronng
26-05-2009, 05:52 PM
are you normal??? Hondata is piggyback

Hondata K100 and Kpro is an additional circuit board added into a compatible Honda ECU, giving it tuning features that is then saved into the flash memory. It does not run piggyback nor intercept any signals.

Dual ECU setups (example Kpro on the Accord Euro) make use of the PRB kpro'd ECU to control the engine, while leaving the stock ECU (reflashed to turn off engine management) to handle the accessories.

aaronng
26-05-2009, 05:52 PM
umm..
yeh..
i'm pretty sure jaseDC5R started this

ok so we've covered the dc5 range, how about for dc2 models.
Hondata or Haltech?

DC2, go S100, S200, S300, PowerFC or anything else standalone. No need for a Haltech.

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Hondata K100 and Kpro is an additional circuit board added into a compatible Honda ECU, giving it tuning features that is then saved into the flash memory. It does not run piggyback nor intercept any signals.

Dual ECU setups (example Kpro on the Accord Euro) make use of the PRB kpro'd ECU to control the engine, while leaving the stock ECU (reflashed to turn off engine management) to handle the accessories.

KPRO is classified as a Piggyback . if the addon dies the tune is gone and ur engine is dead cause it will run on the standard setting. I read it on an other forum ages ago.
some guy smashed his cams or something

Dr.k20z1
26-05-2009, 06:09 PM
KPRO is classified as a Piggyback . if the addon dies the tune is gone and ur engine is dead cause it will run on the standard setting. I read it on an other forum ages ago.
some guy smashed his cams or something

i can confirm reading this on another forum also!

i think for the facelift dc5 haltech is definately a competitor! great alternative! for half the price!

_bORdO_
26-05-2009, 10:57 PM
DC2, go S100, S200, S300, PowerFC or anything else standalone. No need for a Haltech.

Thanks for the advice aaronng, are there any in perticular you would recommend?
ive read up a lil on them, they all seem to be basically similar... your thoughts?

aaronng
27-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the advice aaronng, are there any in perticular you would recommend?
ive read up a lil on them, they all seem to be basically similar... your thoughts?

Choose your tuner first, then choose your ecu.

_bORdO_
27-05-2009, 07:58 PM
i know a workshop that are very familiar with honda's and the hondata ecu.
guess ill just ask them which would work best.