PDA

View Full Version : Epa

lukas
21-05-2009, 09:54 PM
hey guyz..

got a letter to take my dc2 to epa.
does anyone have any knowledge or experience on what to do to make the car pass.
i have a few mods such as:
-exhaust
-headers
-after market throttle body
-after market intake manifold
-cold air indution
-coilovers
-bucketseat
-after market steering wheel
-piggy back ecu

does anyone know if any of these mods can be left on.
i know the exhaust and cold air induction have to come off.

krogoth
21-05-2009, 10:37 PM
its a case where people will tell u different things

in some cases, an individual will get away with some mods because the inspector may not know what it is, what it does, may not care or assume its a stock item

kill the obvious stuff, return that back to stock
-exhaust
-after market steering wheel(depends on whether u had an airbag stock or not, tho i dont know if they will look at this if ur going to clear an epa)
-bucketseat(again not sure if they will look at this for an epa clearance)

epa, to my knowledge is just to clear noise and exhaust pollution levels

if ur car is too noisy, u will not pass, slapping on the stock muffler and keeping the aftermarket headers may allow the car to become quiet enough to pass, so u get away with leaving the headers in

as for emmisions, thats a bit more tricky, they arent gona be shoving a sensor down ur exhaust pipe to test the components in ur exhaust stream.....so they will just look for parts that may affect emmisions that arent stock

but they dont know that ur IM and Tb and ECU arent stock, so u may get away with it

just some thoughts....

Type S Tony
21-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Make sure u have the stock charcoal canister in place, this will probably be one of the first things they check for.

krogoth
21-05-2009, 10:42 PM
^yep

and dont try show up with a stock cat thats been gutted

i doubt ud get away with it

GSi_PSi
22-05-2009, 05:11 PM
i dunno but with me, and my mate they have picked on every little thing on the engine, had to convert everything back to stock.