PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Fog lights on Ebay

poyta
22-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get my hands on the optional fog lights for my FD Civic. Honda lists the kit at a retail price of $449 and the best price I can get from them is $400. I've spotted a few copies on Ebay floating around for around $100 - $150 but they all seem to include only a simple dash mounted switch rather than the indicator stalk that you get in the genuine kit from Honda. Has anyone seen any kits out there that include the indicator stalk because there's not really any spot on the dash to mount the switch without it look really aftermarket.

Can you perhaps just buy the indicator stalk somewhere? ( I presume the cost of this + the ebay fog lights will suddenly make the complete kit from Honda seem good value )

.k.
22-05-2009, 12:06 PM
To the right-hand side of the steering wheel, there is a box/rectangular area which you can buy a face-plate from honda which has 3 sections - place your switch for the foglights in here and it will look factory.

Most older cars i've been in all have a similar space but normally all 3 sections have nothing so in this case just put the fog-light switch in there - a few of the other members have it here.

But if you really want the stalk then not sure what else you can do but get it done at Honda because if you buy the stalk aftermarket and try to do it yourself you fsck up ur warranty (if your even worried about that) - so if its all oem just do it @ honda and get the peace of mind that its all working correctly

poyta
22-05-2009, 12:14 PM
To the right-hand side of the steering wheel, there is a box/rectangular area which you can buy a face-plate from honda which has 3 sections - place your switch for the foglights in here and it will look factory.

Can someone show me a photo of this area with the face plate? I just had a look at my dash and I can't see anything on the right side except a small pocket .

laju
22-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Can someone show me a photo of this area with the face plate? I just had a look at my dash and I can't see anything on the right side except a small pocket .

Here you go
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ibm8hc.jpg

also does anyone know if these buttons light up? mine don't?:mad:
http://i44.tinypic.com/avipec.jpg

poyta
22-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Cool, looks like that panel replaces the pocket - anyone have a link to the where I can get this faceplate or do I approach honda to get it?

.k.
22-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Just go to your local Honda / Honda Spare parts i think its about $4.50~

Yeah mine light up i think laju.. check fuses?

poyta
22-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Just go to your local Honda / Honda Spare parts i think its about $4.50~

I did, they said that was something from an imported model and they only sell genuine Australian Honda parts.

aero
22-05-2009, 02:45 PM
lol its not $4.50. i went to the honda part's dealer to get mine a couple of weeks ago. it was about $12.50.

i got it for my car, because i did an install on aftermarket foglights, but at first i just cut a hole in the back of that plastic pocket. like this... lol

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/gh3ttolov3/P22-05-09_1428.jpg

but anyway, it took about 2 days for them to get the little panel in, but it doesnt come with caps that cover up the 3 holes. apparently they sell the caps seperately. so, for now it looks like this..

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/gh3ttolov3/P22-05-09_1425.jpg

u do have to pull out some panels to get the old pocket out and disconnect the wire that runs up to the selec/reset buttons.. and the panel is held in by three screws, but u can just use the ones that are on the original pocket.

poyta
22-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Do you happen to have the parts number for the panel and the caps? Oh and where did you get that lights button from? Did that come with your aftermarket foglights? Which foglights did you buy?

poyta
22-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Never mind - my dealer found it
Its called a Switch Garnish $10.15 and the snap in covers( or caps as you call them ) are $9.30 each.

Just curious about that light switch - is that also a genuine Honda item? Looks like it fits very nice.

aero
22-05-2009, 05:17 PM
nah, the button came with the kit. i got mine from ebay, but another user from OH got his from a different supplier, and it still came with the same switch.. it just slides in and clips inside the panel.

poyta
22-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Do you think the button on this ebay item ( 380124230597 ) would fit? it looks a little different to the one you've got. Dont want to go get this kit and then find that the damn switch doesn't fit because an original switch like the one that Laju showed costs $150 from Honda ( its an original accent lighting switch )

aero
22-05-2009, 05:34 PM
hm... i dunno man. i got mine from here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/H9-05-08-Honda-Civic-FD-Fog-Lamp-Acura-CSX-MUGEN-FD1-06_W0QQitemZ350140026812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_ Parts_Accessories?hash=item350140026812&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
the switch does look slightly different coz of that extra plastic framing... not sure if u can remove that tho

Steven12
22-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Does anyone here have a link to a guide to install aftermarket fog lights, cos I really want one.

poyta
23-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Does anyone here have a link to a guide to install aftermarket fog lights, cos I really want one.

There is a thread here where someone gives a link to a RAR file that contains scanned images of the actual australian instructions from the factory.

You could do a search or PM me your email and I'll email them to you when I get back to work on Monday.

aero
23-05-2009, 12:04 PM
mmm, but isnt audm foggies hooked up to the stalk? most aftermarket ones come with the switch. the instructions from the the factory would be slightly different, no?

edit: wait.. Steven12, you've got a 09 model... dont know if there's a difference in mounting the foglights compared to the pre-facelift civics.

Steven12
26-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I dont reckon, why Honda go through that much trouble for remodification when there are plenty of switch based cover plates.

aero
26-05-2009, 11:19 PM
are there many aftermarket foglight kits out for the 09 facelift FD?

Sherweeeny
27-05-2009, 01:55 AM
also does anyone know if these buttons light up? mine don't?:mad:
http://i44.tinypic.com/avipec.jpg

yep, they are meant to light up.