PDA

View Full Version : I am so embarrased to ask this...

**Ghost**
02-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Heres a VERY noob question :D

i know i am going to get spammed for this :D

But here goes...

NA requires a "exhaust header/extractor"

Turbo requires a "turbo manifold"

am i right to presume they are teh same goddamn thing? as some of u may know i was really contemplating NA tunign before, and now that i've paid of my car loan i've got money again i began doing some research and i found Turbo seems so much more cheaper for real power (although bolt on wise NA is still cool)

but neway i digress, i havent really thought about this before until today.... i dont know y,.... but they ARE the same piece of metal correct? : ) i was fairly sure i was correct until i read teh current edition of MAX POWER, which had a Citreon show car that had upgraded extractors AND turbo manifold....

........ i'm going to hide now

2ds
02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
basically yeah they are the same thing but they lead to different places.

tinkerbell
02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
yes - both are manifolds

here is a hot one:

http://www.fullboost.com.au/content/features/shows/2004/nizpro_04_10/nizpro_04_10_update.jpg

tinkerbell
02-11-2004, 07:51 PM
see, it takes the exhaust gas that has just exploded in the cylinder and feeds it onto a turbine that spins. this turbine is attached to the other side of the turbo and this spins another turbine which compresses the intake air feeding into the intake ports so it is denser -> bigger explosions -> making more power

gambate
03-11-2004, 01:35 AM
turbo charged air is hot mainly due to the compression or the heat transfer from the glowing red hot side of turbo?

[Blitz]
03-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Compression, based on Boyle's Law. Compressing gases, increases temperature

imashy14u
03-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Both do almost the same thing by expelling the exhaust gases from the engine. Except the headers expel it into the exhaust system directly, while the exhaust manifold on a turbo car expels it to the turbo, to run the turbo.

Also the material used to make each one is also critical. Headers can be mild or stainless steel, while tubo manifolds can be cast iron/steel, stainless steel or thick gauge mild steel (steam pipe). Turbo manifolds are never thin gauge mild steel like what you get in a header or other exhaust components...the weight of the turbo hanging off it is too much for the thin stuff and you will end up cracking the manifold in no time.

saboteur
03-11-2004, 09:14 AM
As with anything, you get what you paid for. Lots of cheap manifolds (SSAC/OBX) crack after a month or two. Hey is that picture above a Ford truck engine? Looks like a decent setup!

tinkerbell
03-11-2004, 09:38 AM
that's a 4.0l Falcon Turbo engine

type one
03-11-2004, 12:47 PM
don't forget to mention how much HP Tinkerbell :)

oh and don't be embarrassed to ask cos i bet plenty of folks don't know either... i couldn't explain it as well as Tink has... some people just know more about car stuff than others... that's just the way it is.

tinkerbell
03-11-2004, 01:20 PM
um, yeah - sorry ;)

that engine is on an engine dyno and has just put out 1222hp on 25psi :D

(remember this power will be lower in a car due to drivetrain losses...)

sesshoumaru
03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
just for future reference...

sometimes with factory turbo cars and their factory turbo manifold, people upgrade them to 's/s equal length turbo manifolds'. However, they may just refer to the upgrade as 'extractors'.

Cyrus
20-11-2004, 04:04 PM
that's one burning manifold...