PDA

View Full Version : Question about trading-in a car to dealer

MaiCu84
24-05-2009, 05:00 AM
i've got a 96 teggy gsi i'm looking at trading-in.
i didn't get the price i wanted for it when they valued the car.
i had fat fives on the car with 2 month old tyres on there.
now that i've signed the contract.
i'm actually considering keeping the wheels and putting steelies on when i go and pick up the car?
does anyone know of laws that would stop me doing that?
are they entitled to change the value of the car?
could they cancel the contract?

thanks for your input

blk_shadow
25-05-2009, 08:55 PM
whats the contract said?

they can either change the value of the car or cancel it. but most probably they will decrease the value of the car.

T-onedc2
27-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Is a contract not a legal document? I think you either ask the dealer for their opinion or ask a lawyer and then wish you just asked the dealer anyway.

kcokla
27-05-2009, 02:58 AM
i think they wont notice unless in the paper work its got a good description of the wheels

MaiCu84
27-05-2009, 07:30 AM
thanks for your input guys.
when they valued the car, they only looked at paint job and odometer reading.
they prob scanned the wheels to make sure it matches, but they didn't write anything down. they left the wheels section empty.

the contract is a legal binding document. it's all been signed.
i'm going to put old steelies with hub caps and see if they notice. if they do...well then i'll just swap them back.
if they don't....yay for me!!!!

thanks for your time.

MZ3
27-05-2009, 09:05 AM
LOL. thats kinda what i did when i did a trade in.

I swapped my rims for some steelies... and took the cd player out and put the tape deck in... they couldnt care less about my car..They didn't even look at it when i came to pick up my new car

aaronng
27-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Contract is a contract. So if there is nothing under the wheels section, you should be able to change it out for steelies, unless the dealer took a photo of your car during valuation.

When we traded our old car in, the dealer didn't see the 1L per 50km oil leak and offered us a very good amount. Didn't question us after they took the car in. I'm sure they would have noticed all 5L disappearing over a week and the trail of oil that it left behind when you drove at under 40km/h.