PDA

View Full Version : ed civic

Davo "90 civic"
24-05-2009, 07:01 PM
heya all been a member for a while, just sorta been sitting back and learning.

been planning for a engine swap (at one stage i was shooting for a mini-me) for about a year now and have some questions.

so, im beginning to think that a d16a8 is the way to go because it is cheap, easy to find and has great after market support. will this fit into my 90 GL hatch with no need for new engine mounts, dizzy etc etc. would also be interested in a good place to get one (i live in lower Vic).

Cheers, Dave

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-05-2009, 07:06 PM
To be honest mate you'd be best to get a D16y1.

Mate did the swap and its a epic and fun drive, only cost him 1k total (free engine) and there was no real need for Mounts/Wiring (much)

his main problem was Fuel Injection.

Davo "90 civic"
24-05-2009, 07:15 PM
thats because its obd2 isnt it?.

i think i would like to go DOHC because im going for a turbo down the road i dont want unhappy pistons with mixing V-tec and boost.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Not really sure on his situation as he had a workshop do the work.

Really depends on your applications.

If I were to buy a ED tomorrow off ebay for 200 or so a D16y1 would follow.

Davo "90 civic"
24-05-2009, 09:05 PM
its a daily driver. but i want it to be quick enough to scare the shit out of my mates on the weekend

eg5civic
24-05-2009, 10:00 PM
just make it understeer at high speed in the wet

guaranteed shat bricks

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-05-2009, 10:02 PM
hahahahahaa-

K'n A!

But seriously, a Y1 in a ED will be plenty aspecially if they're FWD nubs.

I took my mate for a spin in my civic (going slow) and he shit himself simply because he's a RWD'er and the driving sense it totally different when driving in a certain style

Davo "90 civic"
24-05-2009, 10:45 PM
i am aware of all of these things. i just think going to a OBD2 V-tec motor is in my price range ATM. im in uni and unfortunately funds are not that extravagant.

VTECnique
25-05-2009, 06:13 PM
a no-tec D16Y4 from an EK1 & engine wiring harness. cheap & easy to find cause they're everywhere. dont need to change anything, axles, motor mounts, all d-series parts are interchangable...

i remember i seen somewhere a complete Y4, gearbox, ecu for about $400, bargains can be had. ive got access to an EK1 for $300, its a write off but its mechanically good...

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-05-2009, 06:16 PM
y1's can be had for 600 and under.

Davo "90 civic"
25-05-2009, 08:14 PM
shit there some good deals..... where are you guys finding this stuff? how many K's on the clock

the problems with those engines is that y1 is OBD1 and y4 is OBD2. screwing around with the fuel delivery could be a problem. have any of you done the swap, how hard is it to go OBD0 up

CRXer
25-05-2009, 08:32 PM
id be just sticking with an non OBD D16A8 out of a crx,just as healthy as the y1/y4's,its only the k's on the motor that will be the difference,maybe.

to go up in the OBD's just get an appropriate main harness from the car/motor combo in question & pull the EFI wiring out of it then just install to the ED,then the motor harness is plug & play,can be done in a coupla hours.

ur biggest headache is the carb to efi conversion,source a crx wreck & pull the tank & lines on it.

Davo "90 civic"
25-05-2009, 09:45 PM
disagree going to mpfi is a piece of piss i did it on my mates b4. the only problem is going up in OBD's i hear that is a slut.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Really depends.

OBD's is supposed to be easy as fark.

Really depends on your technical skills really.

CRXer
25-05-2009, 10:17 PM
didnt say efi conversion is hard,just said its a lot more work than going obd conversion

hardest thing about goin efi is just finding a crx wreck sometimes,but theres always the more expensive aftermarket pump & lines option.

like i said before,the easiest option on a carby ED is just use the main car harness from the OBd car in question & just break all the wiring u need out of it & install.

most of the efi wiring is independant of anything else in the car,its just mainly power & gauges u got to adapt to in the ED

VTECnique
26-05-2009, 04:00 PM
id be just sticking with an non OBD D16A8 out of a crx,just as healthy as the y1/y4's,its only the k's on the motor that will be the difference,maybe.

to go up in the OBD's just get an appropriate main harness from the car/motor combo in question & pull the EFI wiring out of it then just install to the ED,then the motor harness is plug & play,can be done in a coupla hours.

ur biggest headache is the carb to efi conversion,source a crx wreck & pull the tank & lines on it.

could you not use tank, pump & lines from the same car the Y1/Y4 came out of??

CRXer
26-05-2009, 04:52 PM
could you not use tank, pump & lines from the same car the Y1/Y4 came out of??

im not sure that a tank from an EK,EG would actually fit in the physical space the ED has,but in any case the fuel hardlines will not work,the ED crx runs the lines inside the cabin, the EG runs them under the car & the fuel pumps are in a different location in the tank to make the final connection. Besides the EG fuel lines will probably be long enough to turn up in the middle of the engine bay(if not connect all the way to the radiator,lol) if fitted to an ED.

u can always adapt things to suit,but thats not what its all about on most ED swaps,usually its about budget & to source something from the same wrecked chassis that will just about all fall into place is usually the cheapest option.

Davo "90 civic"
26-05-2009, 05:32 PM
you can use stock tank etc etc for any d-series swap. im still split between a y1 and a8, hmmmm.....

VTECnique
28-05-2009, 07:21 PM
like i said before,the easiest option on a carby ED is just use the main car harness from the OBd car in question & just break all the wiring u need out of it & install.

most of the efi wiring is independant of anything else in the car,its just mainly power & gauges u got to adapt to in the ED

So, if he decided to go with a D16A3 from early integra, he could use the engine harness, & just plug/splice it into the existing ED harness, or would you need a whole harness, head lights to tail lights?

VTECnique
28-05-2009, 07:26 PM
you can use stock tank etc etc for any d-series swap. im still split between a y1 and a8, hmmmm.....

ive been looking into this more cause im considering a 90 civic hatchback for a project car. A D16A3 from an early integra would be a whole lot easier to find compared to a D16A8, plus the A3 is OBD0 so no need to use a conversion harness to go up OBDs.

In saying that, OBDs arent really that hard to change. all thats need is the conversion harness, & with some conversions, dizzy, fuel injectors, etc.

Ive looked into this, but since the ED civic is already carby, would you be able to use any OBD specific motor with its engine harness & just adapt that to the existing ED cabin harness?

Webby_roller
28-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I ran a d15b jdm vtec motor in an 1989 ED... Best fun i had in a long time... was quick.... awosme on fuel....

I bought the car as is and it had a pick up pump from the tank, then ran fuel through standard lines up to the motor then back through existing lines....

Never had troubles with it.... heard people talking about not being able to run it below half a tank with that set up... but i accidentally ran it empty several times...

i was going to run it to a surge tank, but i sold it b4 i could put the surge tank in...

Worst part was the obd conversion.... had so many troubles with the wiring....

Man i miss that car lol

CRXer
28-05-2009, 07:56 PM
So, if he decided to go with a D16A3 from early integra, he could use the engine harness, & just plug/splice it into the existing ED harness, or would you need a whole harness, head lights to tail lights?

the D16A3's were vac advance & ecu under the seat werent they?

the way i prefer to do it is engine harness stays as per engine used
then just get the main harness(the one that runs along the firewall inside the car) that matches to the engine harness & ecu your using(from whatever car that may be) & just remove all the efi wiring from the main harness & install that to the ED.Once u remove all the conduit,tape,etc from the main harness the efi wiring virtually drops straight out of it.

that way engine becomes plug/play,& u retain factory wiring reliability on the efi sensors & u just supply power to the ecu(main relay) & wire up your gauge cluster,A/C,etc from the new reduced main harness.
any joins in the wiring are then under your dash out of the weather & shit,& only made in fairly robust wires(ie not efi sensors).

the only thing in the back of the car is 2 wires to the fuel pump,so no need for anything from the rear.

ur not exactly going to be able to splice wiring,etc to a carby ED as there is not going to be much wiring to splice to anyway.

CRXer
28-05-2009, 08:04 PM
ive been looking into this more cause im considering a 90 civic hatchback for a project car. A D16A3 from an early integra would be a whole lot easier to find compared to a D16A8, plus the A3 is OBD0 so no need to use a conversion harness to go up OBDs.

In saying that, OBDs arent really that hard to change. all thats need is the conversion harness, & with some conversions, dizzy, fuel injectors, etc.

Ive looked into this, but since the ED civic is already carby, would you be able to use any OBD specific motor with its engine harness & just adapt that to the existing ED cabin harness?

D16A8 from ED crx =obd0 + theres plenty of them around,theres a rolling shell goin over at crxaus for like $500 or somethin,got tank, lines,motor, wiring(i think),even think its in brisbane

VTECnique
28-05-2009, 08:10 PM
the D16A3's were vac advance & ecu under the seat werent they?

the way i prefer to do it is engine harness stays as per engine used
then just get the main harness(the one that runs along the firewall inside the car) that matches to the engine harness & ecu your using(from whatever car that may be) & just remove all the efi wiring from the main harness & install that to the ED.Once u remove all the conduit,tape,etc from the main harness the efi wiring virtually drops straight out of it.

that way engine becomes plug/play,& u retain factory wiring reliability on the efi sensors & u just supply power to the ecu(main relay) & wire up your gauge cluster,A/C,etc from the new reduced main harness.
any joins in the wiring are then under your dash out of the weather & shit,& only made in fairly robust wires(ie not efi sensors).

the only thing in the back of the car is 2 wires to the fuel pump,so no need for anything from the rear.

ur not exactly going to be able to splice wiring,etc to a carby ED as there is not going to be much wiring to splice to anyway.

So to be able to start the engine, you'd need to wire it to the main relay correct? & extra wiring for rpm, speedo?, water temp, fuel gauge?, etc.

CRXer
28-05-2009, 08:46 PM
So to be able to start the engine, you'd need to wire it to the main relay correct? & extra wiring for rpm, speedo?, water temp, fuel gauge?, etc.
main relay gives u ignition switched power to the efi system & power for the fuel pump,so yes, no main relay= def no start

thats the only things that come of the engine harness that need wiring,gauges(not fuel gauge,u just have to wire that to new sender in tank,if new tank used),reverse lights,fan control.
if u go EG+ harness,battery on opposite side,redirect alternator feed.

words make it sound daunting,it will make a whole lot more sense once u see it all laid out in front of u.

VTECnique
28-05-2009, 08:53 PM
if i can, i may just use an engine harness out of early integra...

Davo "90 civic"
29-05-2009, 08:51 AM
hey guys, sorry i haven't been in for a while i had an operation (broke my thumb playing footy). ok so apparently i can use everything stock in my car to go to a d16a8 if i convert to mpfi. which sound like a really good idea :). supposedly i do not have to change a single thing if i have mpfi conversion (except for ecu wich would go straight into the harness i had because of mpfi) this is what i was told by someone who had done the swap so im stoked ;):):). it would make sense i guess because looking at the two engines the only difference is that one is mpfi and one is dpfi

CRXer
29-05-2009, 11:48 AM
didnt realise we had dpfi ED's in oz,i thought they were all dual carb.

if u do have dpfi,u still have to add extra injector wires, obviously & a CYP sensor & repin a few wires at the ecu plugs to go to mpfi.
i would prob also confirm all the rest of the ecu wiring as well,before u start the car,i think u might find another few variations.

dont forget to get an OBD0 D16A8 if u want to avoid the OBD1 conversion.

Davo "90 civic"
29-05-2009, 04:09 PM
sorry i f***ed up (been reading too many forum things from the us) i have a duel carby. and then once iv gone to mpfi i can do the swap

VTECnique
29-05-2009, 07:43 PM
didnt realise we had dpfi ED's in oz,i thought they were all dual carb.

if u do have dpfi,u still have to add extra injector wires, obviously & a CYP sensor & repin a few wires at the ecu plugs to go to mpfi.
i would prob also confirm all the rest of the ecu wiring as well,before u start the car,i think u might find another few variations.

dont forget to get an OBD0 D16A8 if u want to avoid the OBD1 conversion.

all 88-91 civic were dual carb, its a real shame, usa got the dpfi version though. really sucks cause i really like the 4 gen shape of the civics...

On another note, could you use a whole ED CRX wiring harness in the ED civic? that way you wouldnt need to change or wire in extra wires/plugs, etc...

CRXer
29-05-2009, 08:51 PM
all 88-91 civic were dual carb, its a real shame, usa got the dpfi version though. really sucks cause i really like the 4 gen shape of the civics...

On another note, could you use a whole ED CRX wiring harness in the ED civic? that way you wouldnt need to change or wire in extra wires/plugs, etc...
from what i remember,people were saying the dual carb was a better motor than the dpfi

like i said before,your in qld right?,theres a rollin shell with everything u need goin for like $500 in qld somewhere on crxaus,d16a8 mpfi,shafts,brakes(if the civic doesnt already have rear disks),ecu,tank,lines,all wiring,fuse boxes.............

it would all slot into the civic just dandy,the only difference might be the connection to the dash harness & the tailgate wiring,but that would only be a matter of maybe repinning a plug or 2,easy,...........all for the cost of a coupla nights out on the gear.

edit: i'll even give ya some cash,if u hack the rear subframe outta the shell before u dump it & send it down to me.

VTECnique
29-05-2009, 11:13 PM
sounds like the efi wiring into carby ED harness is alot easier to save fitting a whole harness head to toe...

i was looking through a turbo D15B4 thread & someone reckons the ED civic has an ECU to control the carbies?!?! WTF?

CRXer
30-05-2009, 01:43 AM
nah,much easier to fit a harness,than stuff around joining wires,its just obd conversion u gotta join wires,theres virtually stuff all wiring rear of the dash anyway,u really dont have to do anything except supply a fuel pump back there,so just repalce the dash & forwards.

ecu is just electronic control unit,it doesnt strictly mean operate fuel injectors,all the carby ecu did was like vac advance/emissions/idle(i think),u could prob unplug it & still drive the car(not recommended,lol)

VTECnique
30-05-2009, 05:33 PM
so, if its got an ecu, would it have traditional OBD0 ecu plug? if that were the case, couldnt i just do a DPFI to MPFI swap & new an ek intank pump?

pat88c
30-05-2009, 10:22 PM
i was think of do the same too if i got ed seden
there alot other parts you can use off the crx wreck like crx dash swap, rear disc conversion, a pair of crx sport bucket seats, bonnet , front bar, maybe door trim (crx may have longer doors), speedo and few other things said by CRXer

i think it wouldn't cost that much money if you do all the work yourself, as everything from ed9 crx is a bolt in swap over into a ed civic seden or hatch

i did see a red civic hatch with this swap d16a8 on car sales a few months ago going for $6K
i have look for it and post it for yourself

pat

pat88c
30-05-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=594601&__sid=121934ED68B5&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20462%20443%20898&PriceFrom=462&PriceTo=443&seot=0&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=80&silo=1011 (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=594601&__sid=121934ED68B5&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20462%20443%20898&PriceFrom=462&PriceTo=443&seot=0&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=80&silo=1011)

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/private/carsales/1750551.jpg

Davo "90 civic"
31-05-2009, 03:33 PM
yeah thats sick. iv got to make up my mind though. hmmmm

YaMiKaZe
01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=594601&__sid=121934ED68B5&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20462%20443%20898&PriceFrom=462&PriceTo=443&seot=0&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=80&silo=1011 (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=594601&__sid=121934ED68B5&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Price_Decim al%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Model_S tring%7C0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20462%20443%20898&PriceFrom=462&PriceTo=443&seot=0&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=80&silo=1011)

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/private/carsales/1750551.jpg
this cars been for sale on carsales for like 2years.
has any1 called up about it? is it still for sale?