PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'lane splitting'

mp-
24-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Ive tried to search but due to how unsuccessful i usually am with searching i thought ill make a thread.

Question is:

Is lane splitting (driving in between 2 lanes, between 2 cars) illegal in NSW? can anyone link me something from the RTA telling me weather it is or not?

Thanks

Peter

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-05-2009, 07:18 PM
If you're referring to with a Motorbike the answer is yes.

TALEB TYRES
24-05-2009, 07:41 PM
illegal..yes
enforced by ALL cops...no
you'll find most turn a blind eye as long as you do it safely.

BUT, you can LEGALLY ride in a lane if cars are parked in it, but you still need to indicate in and out of it, just watch out for those doors!

mp-
24-05-2009, 08:54 PM
yeah referring to motorbikes.

we see it happen everyday, and ive always wondered if its illegal to do so while in traffic. (e.g. at a red light or even moving traffic).

you guys able to provide any documentation saying it is? i cant seem to find anything about this from teh RTA etc...

Twincam16
25-05-2009, 12:27 AM
As long as its safe and as long as you dont keep lane splitting when lights go green and traffic starts to flow, you should be fine.

Id be more aware of doors and aggressive drivers

preludacris
25-05-2009, 02:29 AM
for some reason, i was under the impression that you can lane split if the traffic is stationary, but when i tried to search up the rules i couldn't confirm it.

pretty stupid though if your on a motorbike in bumper to bumper traffic, and having to wait behind all the other cars.

i've lane splitted past cops b4, but they were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and wouldn't have a chance of catching me anyway :P

mp-
25-05-2009, 03:03 AM
for some reason, i was under the impression that you can lane split if the traffic is stationary, but when i tried to search up the rules i couldn't confirm it.

pretty stupid though if your on a motorbike in bumper to bumper traffic, and having to wait behind all the other cars.

i've lane splitted past cops b4, but they were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and wouldn't have a chance of catching me anyway :P

i also believe that it is ok to do so if the traffic isnt moving, but what if they are moving? lol

ive been trying to search it up but no luck yet :thumbdwn:

bennjamin
25-05-2009, 03:39 AM
100% illegal. Bikes have the same rules as cars....stick in your lane.

Everyone still does it tho. I do it....while trafic is STATIONARY.

CL455
25-05-2009, 08:15 AM
yup as said before lane splitting is illegal - do it while there is a motorbike cop around and u'll get pinned.... it's not very safe to do so either cause cars do try and switch lanes still

Tu88y
25-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes it's illegal if the cop wants to be a dick and fine you. You get fined per car that you past. This was advise to me about a few weeks ago by the Testing instructor

gumbs
25-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Its legal to pass parked cars in their own lane. Some people try to argue that it then must be legal to pass stopped traffic in its own lane. It isn't.

There is no actual law that says no lane splitting/filtering but they can book with you with,failure to indicate, passing another vehicle in the same lane or passing a stationary vehicle on the left.

Do it at your own risk, they only seem to target it on highways up here

dwn_boi
25-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes it's illegal if the cop wants to be a dick and fine you. You get fined per car that you past. This was advise to me about a few weeks ago by the Testing instructor

holy crap! how much is the fine? I always move over a lil if I see a bike coming towards my car while I'm stationary, most of them give me a wave to say thanks lol so I dont mind if they pass me :)

Twincam16
25-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Just do it sensibly and you should be fine

gumbs
25-05-2009, 03:20 PM

If they tried that I'd take them to court. They can only get you once for each law you break. They could still hit you for 3 or 4 laws though.

dsp26
25-05-2009, 04:31 PM
^^^so by that logic if i speed past 2 speed cameras in the same 100m stretch (lots in NSW) i can only get fined for the first one?

law is law mate... good luck at court with it.

nuganen
25-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Rule 141 I Think

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/2008nswrrchanges.pdf

seems like its legal as long as u OT on the RHS

TALEB TYRES
25-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Rule 141 I Think

good stuff finding that!

this point here:
c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.

But you would still have to indicate if you crossed lanes, a bit messy if your talking about riding in the city during the week!

it will remain a grey area until they put out a specific set of rules for it.
until then..just do it( but ride safe)

mp-
26-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Rule 141 I Think

very very nice find.

Im just a bit confused now though.

SO that means...if the car is stationary, you can pass it via the left hand side of the car, right?

But wat if it's down the middle between 2 cars? ull b going left of one car and right of the other...

gumbs
27-05-2009, 08:53 AM
^^^so by that logic if i speed past 2 speed cameras in the same 100m stretch (lots in NSW) i can only get fined for the first one?

law is law mate... good luck at court with it.

You really have two speed camera's with in 100m of each other? I still doubt they could fine you for both.

If you over take on double whites they don't charge you per car you pass do they.

Twincam16
27-05-2009, 09:30 AM
If the actual "act" is commited on separate occasions with a pause/break in between, that could be classified as two separate incidences which can have two fines given.

Eg. If you were to say be speeding on a long stretch of road and happen to get LIDAR'd and a speeding photo taken at the same time, you may have a leg to stand on. You could prove this with the ticket showing the location, date and time of the fine which matches to the speed camera.

MP- I dont think that RTA rule covers lane splitting, it says that if a car is stationary and turning right, then you can pass on the left as long as there is sufficient space.

lookingforboost
28-05-2009, 10:45 AM
if you have a good lawyer than you could get away with a lot of things :P i have never seen anyone get in trouble for it and i only do it when its really busy other wise i just usually sit and wait.