PDA

View Full Version : Jolting car on changes

Dxs
14-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Hey my friend has a manual 4th gen accord Exi.
Basically when he changes gears at either high or low rpm the car kinda jolts. (like not one big jolt but quick little ones).

Hopefully you get me..
I was just wondering what causes this, he says from this is normal for a 4th gen (got this great info from his dad :roll: ).

But could it be a slipping clutch that needs to be replaced?
Or just bad shifting technique?
Anything else?

-Dxs

wynode
14-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Either he doesn't know how to shift properly, or its worn engine mounts........really worn.

2ds
14-11-2003, 11:25 AM
I used to have a simular problem.

tell him to try putting his seat forwad a notch or two and see if that helps.

=D

-2ds

wynode
14-11-2003, 04:37 PM
By the way, if the clutch is worn it will actually make the gear changes smoother as the clutch no longer bites as hard (due to lack of grip).

BLKCRX
14-11-2003, 05:05 PM
i would say its the engine mounts becoming warn and broken, then engine moving to much via gear changes thus jerking the car.....its a common problem with many older honda's or when your suspension is loose.

Regards James

Dream`R
14-11-2003, 05:57 PM
I think it's his shifting technique. When I first started driving a manual it happened to me sometimes :oops: Dunno why it happened on some shifts and not others though.

If u can drive a manual properly take the car for a spin and see if the jerking happens to you also

Setanta
14-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Engine mounts.

'nuff said :)

Dxs
14-11-2003, 10:30 PM
so if it is the engine mounts does that means when the engine is just idling it should shake in the engine bay?
It basically jolts/shudders a lot just after the change and when the revs build (like after shuddering goes for about 1 sec) it becomes smooth.

The car has only done like 130,000kms, but i believe the owner abused the car, as in no regular service and the car doesnt look well look after at all.

oh well, thanks for the info guys! :wink:

Weq
14-11-2003, 11:49 PM
I jolt all the time. It pissed ms off heeps. Its cuase i cant drive manual properly/i'm lazy. I dont care though, as long as i'm not riding the clutch its all good :)

Actually come to think of it, just after an oil change/on a good batch of fuel/airfilter clean, my shifts are SO much smoother. Its like a whole nuther car, so easy to drive well. What could cause such a phenomon?

I do notice if clutch with different parts of my foot (i usually use the toe-ball end of my foot), that i change much smoother. I think thisis cuase i am less presice with changes.... But the car does definatly drive easier after what i mentioned above.. Like the other day my cold air became came loose and was basically being blocked, then i fixed it up and the car ran like new women. but today, after about 30k, it went back to its old stumbly self on changes. Could it be something to do with the ECU maybe?

PS. My clutch is still very bitey, only around 10K old.

A'PEXi
15-11-2003, 01:54 AM
does he get the car regularly serviced?

wynode
15-11-2003, 10:53 AM
I think the main issue here (apart from engine mounts) is gear changing.

It takes a bit more effort in a honda to shift smoothly because the contact point is right at the end of letting the clutch out (thanks to it being hydraulic).

I have a Daiken sports clutch and its a LITTLE bit harder but if you are having trouble shifting smoothly.....then you need to learn how to drive manual properly :?

That said, its even harder driving with the AC on :)

2ds
16-11-2003, 01:08 PM
damn aircon, always makes my shifts jerkier >=/

Seriously though, try putting your seat forward!!!! you have more control over the clutch then.

-2ds

Dxs
16-11-2003, 02:07 PM
i basically found out he cant shift for shit.
:lol: