PDA

View Full Version : My Car is struggling....

mnc
25-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I drive a dc2r and just today when I was driving it was all fine untill I stoped at a red light after about 5-10mins of driving and as soon as I took off my car started to make weird noises in the engine/exhaust and my RPM struggled to gain (not the aircon power struggle). Engine was making alot of noises like not in a smooth tone noise, sounded like it was choking at 2-3k rpm and when i apply abit of throttle it gets worse and car goes nowhere. I don't have problems engaging gears etc aswell.

dsp26
25-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Clutch problem = Either it's seized and you can't shift in and out of gear while engine running or clutch is gone and it's free revving which rules the clutch out.

"sounded like an old van" is too vague... does it sound metallic/mechanical or does the engine sound crap?

***EDIT***
Just re-read.

so simple things first.... pull out your plugs and check the condition.

rpm boy
25-05-2009, 05:13 PM
sounds like plugs, if not that how low was ur fuel (were u taking off on a hill?) or fuel pump, blockage in fuel filter or lines, battery earthing out, muffler/cat has collapsed and not letting air through.....plenty of possibles, little more information could get u a better answer

mnc
25-05-2009, 05:23 PM
cheers guys, Ill check it out. Petrol was 1/4 full. Sound was coming from exhaust but exhaust is linked to engine so i'm guessing its the engine.

mnc
25-05-2009, 06:10 PM
How much does it cost to replace all 4 spark plugs in my dc2r?

Raztaz
25-05-2009, 06:23 PM
if u go cheap ones a dollers each plug? if u go get them irridiums..well, quite a bit more

bennjamin
25-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I drive a dc2r and just today when I was driving it was all fine untill I stoped at a red light after about 5-10mins of driving and as soon as I took off my car started to make weird noises in the engine/exhaust and my RPM struggled to gain (not the aircon power struggle). Engine was making alot of noises like not in a smooth tone noise, sounded like it was choking at 2-3k rpm and when i apply abit of throttle it gets worse and car goes nowhere. I don't have problems engaging gears etc aswell.

what was your "driving" like before hand ?
Did you just put some fuel in ?
Did you just thrash the car (hard launches etc) ?

I think either spark plugs are fouled or the dizzy is somehow fried (lead may of popped off)

mnc
25-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I was driving normally, shifted before 3.5krpm and no clutch riding etc. Didnt pour any fuel for 3-4 days and i didnt thrash the car at all.

dsp26
26-05-2009, 08:44 AM
yeah i bet either plugs or you've filled up on the "yellow juice" from a 98oct bowser at a caltex

geeang
26-05-2009, 09:46 AM
This happened to me, checked and one of my spark plugs leads on the dizzy came loose.

Was kinda cool when it sounded like a FULLY SICK BOXTER REXY BRO.

lam.666
26-05-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah check your leads, one can just pop out which can cause the car to struggle.

dtngo
26-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I had an ignition lead come off my car whilst driving. Sound tuff, but went like shit! Also had a similar problem with water in my spark plug well - stupid car detailers!

mnc
26-05-2009, 04:07 PM
cheers for all your help guys :thumbsup: