PDA

View Full Version : Best size/brand cams for B18b1

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Alrite Im going to be doing up my B18b1 engine just want to know what size and brand cams would be recommended for a D/D car thanks.

Also which pistons for more compression Im thinking the P3 or Itr pistons.

If you have done these mods could you please tell me what your gains were thanks.

imratedpg
25-05-2009, 06:51 PM
just get a b18c7 then u wont have to go cams and pistons :D

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 08:01 PM
just get a b18c7 then u wont have to go cams and pistons :D

No lol just stay on topic.

RandyRhydah
25-05-2009, 08:22 PM
instead of spending all this money on all these things your starting threads about. just get a b18c2 c7 conversion. will cost less and will go just as well. but have a look at skunk2, toda, buddy club or blox cams.. there are that many brands its not funny just a bit of research goes a long way my friend.

ZeForce
25-05-2009, 08:33 PM
instead of spending all this money on all these things your starting threads about. just get a b18c2 c7 conversion. will cost less and will go just as well. but have a look at skunk2, toda, buddy club or blox cams.. there are that many brands its not funny just a bit of research goes a long way my friend.

Engine swap is pointless......... LSVTEC

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 09:17 PM

I have done research I was thinking 403's but nothing beats first hand experience.

eLs6uep
25-05-2009, 09:46 PM
getting cams require u to get vavle springs and retainers and everything...its cheaper to do a ls/vtec conversion as you would get more power...then gettin cams for the b18b..what is ur budget?

joe.teg
25-05-2009, 09:49 PM
like i said in other thread man... save and get a k20 conversion and build that... responds better to mods and is vtec.

If thats not an option check out the toda or skunk2 catalogue and get yourself some decent breathing mods and a tune with the b18b1. if you have enough $$$ force some air into that bitch

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 09:55 PM
getting cams require u to get vavle springs and retainers and everything...its cheaper to do a ls/vtec conversion as you would get more power...then gettin cams for the b18b..what is ur budget?

Ls/Vtec will not be cheaper than cams and pistons and yes I know I will change the springs and retainers..

I have been turned off the Ls/Vtec due to oil pump... water pump.. and a bunch off stuff need to be changed and the tapping of holes wiring and such Im not that keen on all that compared to just changing cams and pistons.. and still getting some good gains.

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 09:56 PM
like i said in other thread man... save and get a k20 conversion and build that... responds better to mods and is vtec.

If thats not an option check out the toda or skunk2 catalogue and get yourself some decent breathing mods and a tune with the b18b1. if you have enough $$$ force some air into that bitch

I really would just buy a K series but I don't have 10 grand ish.. could buy a Type R for that type of money (and selling my car)...

d15z1SUX
25-05-2009, 11:32 PM
knew a guy who had b18a with crower cams... 403s im pretty sure. never sat in it but seemed quickish. 122fwhp i think.

TegzGsi
25-05-2009, 11:39 PM
knew a guy who had b18a with crower cams... 403s im pretty sure. never sat in it but seemed quickish. 122fwhp i think.

Yeh well Im trying to build something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4T_uNAx7F4

locote
26-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I baught the 403s with springs retainers...
Sold them of and got a EG and put a B18c in it....
Seriously not worth it unless your planning on doing mayor work to the motor...

dudeling7
26-05-2009, 01:27 AM

i remember he posted his dyno sheet, those numbers are ridiculously low, and it should make tons more power but its probably just a low reading dyno....

with crower 403's you can get away without doing the bottom end, and should be a pretty nice gain.

if you want a bit a beats there are 404's but to get the best you should upgrade the compression also, these make power to 8k easily as well.

so changing pistons to say CTR pistons and upgrading rod bolts is a must, but they pull pretty hard for a all motor LS cam.

joe.teg
26-05-2009, 10:28 AM
man TBH sell the gsi... no matter what you do it will never be enough especially cause of the lack of vtec. They way i see it you have two options.
option 1: save and get a k20a or b18c7
option 2: sell the gsi and buy an eg with a b18c2 or k20 conversion.
Much cheaper and much more fun !

TegzGsi
26-05-2009, 11:12 AM
man TBH sell the gsi... no matter what you do it will never be enough especially cause of the lack of vtec. They way i see it you have two options.
option 1: save and get a k20a or b18c7
option 2: sell the gsi and buy an eg with a b18c2 or k20 conversion.
Much cheaper and much more fun !

A B18c7 would give me the power I want I will want to change the gearbox then aswell though.. But I guess if I do these mods to the B18b1 I will want to change the fly wheel and put a heavy duty clutch in it and thats like changing a gearbox lol.

TegzGsi
26-05-2009, 11:16 AM
i remember he posted his dyno sheet, those numbers are ridiculously low, and it should make tons more power but its probably just a low reading dyno....

with crower 403's you can get away without doing the bottom end, and should be a pretty nice gain.

if you want a bit a beats there are 404's but to get the best you should upgrade the compression also, these make power to 8k easily as well.

so changing pistons to say CTR pistons and upgrading rod bolts is a must, but they pull pretty hard for a all motor LS cam.

Those numbers are very low I recon aswell..

joe.teg
26-05-2009, 11:34 AM
A B18c7 would give me the power I want I will want to change the gearbox then aswell though.. But I guess if I do these mods to the B18b1 I will want to change the fly wheel and put a heavy duty clutch in it and thats like changing a gearbox lol.

Lol its nothing like changing a gearbox and im probably guaranteeing that ull get bored with the car very quickly.

What is you attatchment to the car anyway

TegzGsi
26-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Also guys I hear that the ITR's 1/4 mile time is 14.7 is that not quite high...

TegzGsi
26-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Lol its nothing like changing a gearbox and im probably guaranteeing that ull get bored with the car very quickly.

What is you attatchment to the car anyway

First car I guess and I would like to show people it's not a crap engine lol

string
26-05-2009, 04:19 PM
First car I guess and I would like to show people it's not a crap engine lol

Everyone knows it's not a crap engine. The VTECs however are better engines and if you plan on keeping your car for a while, you need to seriously think about how much cash you want to put in and what you want to get out of it.

If you think you're going to spend a fair bit of money you're going to be kicking yourself down the line when you have an engine which is slower than a stock VTEC and you've outlayed nearly as much as a full conversion.

Engines make power by carrying torque high in the rpm band. The higher you carry the torque, the more power you make. This is the strength of the VTEC motors - lots of torque at very high rpm. VTEC heads breathe better up high stock than your non-vtec head with mods and cams will.

A second hand VTEC head will cost you as much as a set of non-vtec cams and springs and will be a much better base for future mods.

locote
26-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Dyno is a low reader...
I got 120whp in same dyno with stock B18c...

TegzGsi
26-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Everyone knows it's not a crap engine. The VTECs however are better engines and if you plan on keeping your car for a while, you need to seriously think about how much cash you want to put in and what you want to get out of it.

If you think you're going to spend a fair bit of money you're going to be kicking yourself down the line when you have an engine which is slower than a stock VTEC and you've outlayed nearly as much as a full conversion.

Engines make power by carrying torque high in the rpm band. The higher you carry the torque, the more power you make. This is the strength of the VTEC motors - lots of torque at very high rpm. VTEC heads breathe better up high stock than your non-vtec head with mods and cams will.

A second hand VTEC head will cost you as much as a set of non-vtec cams and springs and will be a much better base for future mods.

I see what you are all trying to say I will see what I can do how much in australia do you think I would even pay for a Vtec engine head ( I know it would depend on which I put on b16 or b18) I think I would take the B18c due to it will have more compression Im pretty sure.

imratedpg
27-05-2009, 10:29 AM
whoratio is selling a p72-1 head
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112792

TegzGsi
27-05-2009, 11:24 AM
whoratio is selling a p72-1 head
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112792

Thanks man will have a look.