PDA

View Full Version : installing headers!

fitvpower
25-05-2009, 08:34 PM
hello just a couple questions about installing a secondhand headers on a civic ek1 sedan with a d16y4 engine

the headers look similar to this..

would i need a head gasket and is it easy to install? just bolt on and go?

sorry for the noob question

beeza
25-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Yup,just bolt on and go.You will need an exhaust gasket.

Personnally I would have another bung made for the 02 sensor where the 2 pipes go into 1.That way the 02 sensor reading is of the 4 cylinders,not just 2 (where it is now).That way you have a true-er reading.

fitvpower
25-05-2009, 08:49 PM
so that sensor thing that hanging out of the header will only read 2 cyclinders not 4??
cant i just use my old exhaust gasket lol!

blk_shadow
25-05-2009, 08:50 PM
yep, as Beeza stated, straight bolt on and make another plug for the O2 sensor just before the connection to the cat.

I might re-use the exhaust manifold gasket. OEM gasket is good enough.

fitvpower
25-05-2009, 08:55 PM
thanks for the help guys, shall get into it soon!

redmugenjazz
25-05-2009, 08:57 PM
yea i think the old owner stuck the sensor to read less oxygen (1/2) of what is actually released from the engine output so the ecu thinks the engine is running lean so it adds more fuel = more power? (correct me if i'm wrong, it could be the other way round = fuel economy wise?)

beeza
25-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes,and I forgot a gasket at the other end too.Some gasket sealant is good to use too!

fitvpower
25-05-2009, 09:05 PM
yea i think the old owner stuck the sensor to read less oxygen (1/2) of what is actually released from the engine output so the ecu thinks the engine is running lean so it adds more fuel = more power? (correct me if i'm wrong, it could be the other way round = fuel economy wise?)

redmugenjazz!

beeza
26-05-2009, 08:59 AM
It's how they come,stoopid!

Those headers look really good!

ZeForce
26-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Personnally I would have another bung made for the 02 sensor where the 2 pipes go into 1.That way the 02 sensor reading is of the 4 cylinders,not just 2 (where it is now).That way you have a true-er reading.

It wont make any difference whether it's reading 2 cylinders or 4 cylinders..... it's only a narrowband oxygen sensor

FYI you make more power from running leaner and it doesnt read any different being where it is atm

beeza
26-05-2009, 02:42 PM
It wont make any difference whether it's reading 2 cylinders or 4 cylinders..... it's only a narrowband oxygen sensor

Thanks ZeForce but I'm confused cause this is what I've learnt...

ZeForce
26-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks ZeForce but I'm confused cause this is what I've learnt...

Theoretically reading from all 4 cylinders is better, in practice it wont make any difference

beeza
26-05-2009, 03:06 PM
It's funny you say that cause my muffler guy taught me this and made another bung so it can read all 4 cylinders but to my suprise he also said a week later 'you can take the 02 sensor out and it won't make a difference'!

I was suprised to say the least!

I tried it and it didn't for the day I had it off,not to keen to try it longer...

redmugenjazz
26-05-2009, 04:28 PM
btw, if the oz sensor were to stay there, the stock wires will be too short so i'll need to extend it from the stock location. would i affect the resistance if i cut the plug off and soldered extension wires between the plug and o2 sensor.

beeza
28-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I heard you lose 0.1 volt for every bit of wire added.You have to do it,it won't make a difference.
I didn't extend the wire on my IAT sensor cause I didn't HAVE to,I wanted too but that sensor is a low voltage sensor,like 1.2 Volts or less so I didn't want to lose the voltage,therefore enabelling a good reading!!
The 02 sensor voltage is higher than that,so no drama's.