PDA

View Full Version : ABS bit too sensative on 8th Civic?

Kangaaz
25-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Got a 08 civic VTi close to a year now, found the ABS system on the car is a bit sensative and would engage under moderate braking, even when the wheel is not locking up. Anyone else had similar experience with a 06-09 civic?

Also would different wheel size affect ABS? Currently running on Dc5R wheels which is 1" bigger than stock.

renegadeice
25-05-2009, 09:12 PM
i had a similar issue when i was doing moderate braking in the wet with the stock tyres. After I upgraded mine, it was never an issue. the ABS would come on only when I was braking in an emergency.

JOhnnyFD
25-05-2009, 09:16 PM
oh yeaa... tat can happen sometimes... wat i do is when i brake, put foot down on brake then lift off my foot and hit the brakes again, i find if i hit the brakes hard at once the ABS will kick in

with having larger rims, theres more weight and so ABS would have to work harder to stop the car... and thus get lightweight rims lol

Kangaaz
25-05-2009, 09:17 PM
i had a similar issue when i was doing moderate braking in the wet with the stock tyres.

Mine seems to kick in even in dry conditions. Like when i am driving down a steep road, just before the car stops at a sign, ABS would kick in momentarily even though the car is already travelling slow and about to stop.

Kangaaz
25-05-2009, 09:22 PM
oh yeaa... tat can happen sometimes... wat i do is when i brake, put foot down on brake then lift off my foot and hit the brakes again, i find if i hit the brakes hard at once the ABS will kick in

I don't slam on my brakes, do you mean if you leave your foot on the break for a extended period of time while braking moderately then ABS would be engaged? Thats what happens to me

renegadeice
25-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Mine seems to kick in even in dry conditions. Like when i am driving down a steep road, just before the car stops at a sign, ABS would kick in momentarily even though the car is already travelling slow and about to stop.

sounds like the problem is easily reproduceable. Perhaps get someone from your Honda dealership to go for a quick ride with you?

The following is an excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system#Modern_ABS

A typical ABS is composed of a central electronic control unit (ECU), four wheel speed sensors — one for each wheel — and two or more hydraulic valves within the brake hydraulics. The ECU constantly monitors the rotational speed of each wheel, and when it detects a wheel rotating significantly slower than the others — a condition indicative of impending wheel lock — it actuates the valves to reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake at the affected wheel, thus reducing the braking force on that wheel.

If the above statement were true in your case, perhaps one or more of your tyres is losing grip when braking?

SPEEDCORE
25-05-2009, 09:36 PM
You will find most "affordable car" ABS systems are like this. People often complain about sensitivity and intervening of ABS. There is nothing wrong.. it is just the way it has been programmed.

Be aware, what you guys are probably experiencing is ABS activation when braking over corrugated surfaces. Even slight bumpyness in the road surface with moderate braking force will make these systems cut in.

Again... this is normal and just the way it has been programmed.

edmbranch
27-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I get ABS if i brake whilst going over pot holes, or uneven roads. the only reason i could think of is because when the tyres are slightly losing grip and the brakes kicked in, causing ABS.

rk 86 wa
27-05-2009, 03:21 PM
braking over uneven surfaces. un uniform road conditions and what not annoy my abs, but generally its not that sensitive unless you are mashing the sh*t out of the pedal.

ryanc
27-05-2009, 03:27 PM
same for me
uneven surfaces, shitty potholes etc... abs sets in
driving around inner west it happens a lot :S shitty roads

FallenAngel
27-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Don't really have a problem with it. The only time it happened to me was when one of my tires literally ripped so where you can see the white threads, and was braking down hill. Even then it was only minor to moderate abs kicking in...

Also check your brake pads, if there's enough meat on them... If not then abs would kick in there too.

Agreed with rk 86, you will only feel the fullness of the ABS only when you mash the brakes, where you seriously feel the brake pedal pumping.

Sherweeeny
27-05-2009, 08:39 PM
i get it too when i go over uneven roads. dont worry about it, its just the car thinking the wheels have locked up. i only ever get it in the civic though. which is a shame.

JaCe
27-05-2009, 11:50 PM
You guys 100% sure it's ABS? I used to think my ABS was kicking in on uneven/crap roads as well but then one day in the wet when I really slammed foot on the brake and *JUST* managed to avoid an accident. You can really feel the difference on the brake pedal. I'm not saying go out and try, but I remember it was very very different. I can't even remember if any lights came on but the pedal did vibrate... all I know is I was scared ****less.

FallenAngel
28-05-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure if his is although i have felt that kind of sensation before also, and it was the abs.

black8thgen
28-05-2009, 04:40 PM
yea i felt it too... going down a street talking to my mate and didnt see a set of speed bumps coming up so hit the brakes and felt it vibrate lol =/

ekdez
29-05-2009, 01:28 PM
felt this abs "grrrrrrrrr" after braking over a bump today :\
thought i fked my brakes up.. sounds so strange.. esh!

Steven12
29-05-2009, 06:35 PM
yeah I just got a 09 civic, sometimes I get this unnatural feedback from the pedals when I brake, is that ABS? ( I've never driven cars with ABS before)

FallenAngel
29-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Probably not. You will know its ABS when the brake pedal vibrates VERY HARD. You can feel it pulsating as the brakes are being "stamped on" consistantly by the ABS system

Sherweeeny
29-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Probably not. You will know its ABS when the brake pedal vibrates VERY HARD. You can feel it pulsating as the brakes are being "stamped on" consistantly by the ABS system

nah it is abs. just for a second though.

Steven12
29-05-2009, 08:58 PM
yeah thats what I mean, the sudden vibration ....