PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen CRX Master Cylinder

parburn
14-11-2003, 06:05 PM
DAMN!
coming home tonight my brake pedal started sliding to the floor on pretty much every stop. Still stopped the car fine but I just know I'm going to have to get a new Master Cylinder or a rebuild.

I'll take it in first thing tomorrow, but does anyone know a ball park figure for getting this done on these cars?

I was a motorcyclist for a while, so I'm outta the loop a bit.

Or tell me it might just need bleeding to make me feel better, though I dont have a good feeling about how much this is gonna cost

cheers guys!

sesshoumaru
14-11-2003, 08:54 PM
i'd say approximatly 200... all up.

2ds
15-11-2003, 08:20 AM
frig, the same thing happened to me last night and I was wondering what it was.

heh, thanks for the help I guess =D

-2ds

sesshoumaru
15-11-2003, 09:59 AM
well, depending on the size of the leak, u might be able to get away with just refilling the brake fluid every now and then...

but yeah, u should get it fixed.

parburn
15-11-2003, 11:58 AM
$200!? you reckon? that'd be alright, I was expecting more to the tune of $300-$400. Shall see, took it in today, and the mechanic said yes it is the Master Cylinder, but told me to take it straight to PBR as thats who he'd get the parts from anyway - save me some cash.

but they aren't open on weekend, so I gotta wait, and its beautiful weather out too! BUT I CANT GO DRIVING WAAAH!

And I dont like to piss around with brakes, whatever it costs thats fine, you GOTTA have your brakes working. And refilling wouldnt help I think, its an internal leak past the piston, so I'm not actually losing any fluid

2ds - we can share our misery, be careful if you do have to drive before you get it fixed!

sesshoumaru
15-11-2003, 07:07 PM
well i'd say most of the cost would be the part itself, and i can't imagine that being more than say 130-150 bucks.

i just had my clutch master cylinder replaced for around 200.

2ds
20-11-2003, 06:07 PM
after today i can tell you the cost of a new master cylinder from honda is $500 and there is a 2 week wait while it is ordered from japan

looks like i'm back in the 85 civic for a while

*cries*

-2ds

wynode
20-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Where abouts are you? If you are in Sydney give Hanny's performance a call as I had my master cylinder reconditioned after it was spitting out some fluid.

Otherwise try some reckers :)

2ds
20-11-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm in melbourne, and I can't even find windows for my car at wreckers i'm not sure how i would go with actuall mechanical items. That and I don't have the time at the moment

-2ds

parburn
21-11-2003, 05:00 PM
2ds, I got quoted $450 for a new Honda Master Cylinder. This is all for a 3rd gen by the way.

went to PowerBrakes(same as PBR I think) they can sell resleeved with steel for $210 or $270(depending on if you trade in your old one)

then you just gotta get it installed, 1 to 2 hours labour..or do it yourself if you know how.

if you get it yourself instead of your mechanic, make sure they give you the right one, check the length of the piston barrel and the size of the pipe mounts. Originally they gave me the wrong one, in fact mine wasn't on their records at all, so thet just resleeved mine on the day.

good luck

2ds
21-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info parburn

Aparantly the internals are wasted so a resleave wont fix my problem. The mechanic didn't think it was such a good idea to try and rebuild it. I think i'm happy enough to just replace it with a new one, it's the two week wait that pisses me off.

-2ds

sesshoumaru
21-11-2003, 08:00 PM
wow!! 450?!?! god, sorry guys i didn't realise the difference was so much between a clutch master and brake master!!

seriously, my brake master was leaking in my old car (nissan) and it was gonna cost me about 200 to fix, labour done through a mate tho... but looks like most of the cost is the part itself...!

good luck guys, let us know how u go.

parburn
22-11-2003, 12:46 PM
sesshoumaru - Mine's done, sorted - I dont have a second car so I did it quick. and yeah my Clutch Master is on its way too, but they're considerably cheaper.

2ds - if its the wait thats the problem ring PBR and see if they have anything in stock. They'll take your old one as a trade in to - give you $40 off I think.