PDA

View Full Version : cd5 lpg conversion

yiannixanthos
31-05-2009, 08:01 PM
im thinking of converting to lpg, will this wear the engine and cause future problems and outweight the positives of the conversion (cheaper to run)? need advice

CB7_OWNER
01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
no offence... this is ridiculous... if you want something really cheap to run go get a civic, or excel or something... converting your accord to lpg is just -_-.

hectic_filo
16-07-2009, 05:39 PM
no offence... this is ridiculous... if you want something really cheap to run go get a civic, or excel or something... converting your accord to lpg is just -_-.

man i cnt imagine4 VTEC LPG.. that sounds whack no offense.. i agree get a honda civic 1.5-1.6 engine or integra in 1.8 ltr engine..

xcwizit
18-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Just buy a Daihatsu 0.8L and chuck that on gas.

OR

You can get the plates LPGCD5 or CD5LPG or GASCD5 or CD5GAS or IH8GAS or IH8LPG

JohnL
19-07-2009, 04:30 PM
If you think petrol is expensive now, you ain't seen nothin yet, just wait till the world economy starts to pick up. Oil prices are in a manner of speaking 'artificially' suppressed at present because of the international financial crisis, it can't stay that way forever, and possibly not for all that long (??). I think converting to gas now (before the rush) is likely to be a smart move...

Replacing the Accord with a smaller car as advised may well reduce costs, but a small car may not suit everybodies needs. If oil gets expensive enough, there may well be peopleon here asking if they can convert their Civics...

If a conversion is done correctly it shouldn't be a problem, a good installer should be able to give you better advice than you're likely to get on this forum. I do think you'd get the most out of it with a single fuel conversion because you'll be able to run a much higher compression ratio to take advantage of LPGs high octane rating (110 from memory). The mechanics of actually raising the CR might be a problem...

Of course, even with a raised CR LPG will give less power than petrol, but I have heard of turbocharged LPG set ups...

90LAN
19-07-2009, 04:34 PM
a standard lpg coversion is 1800 plus
so would it be worth while to do
plus being not off the shelf conversion kits for your car
prices may be more for custom parts
plus being alloy block it may not be compatible
just call honda to see if the recommend it

yiannixanthos
19-07-2009, 10:08 PM
well thanks for the help from the nicer guys on here, instead of jumping down my throat at the idea....it was just a simple query requiring some advice, not criticism...correct me if im wrong...but i dont see it as ridiculous. thanksto 90LAN & JOHNL...il have to give honda a ring thanks

JohnL
20-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd be very surprised if Honda doesn't try to dissuade you from doing it.

90LAN has a point about costs associated with a rare conversion. You'd want to do your sums, and maybe have a projected petrol price point at which a conversion is more likely to be cost effective.

Another thought, I suspect you'll be forced into using boot space to house the tank. In most other single fuel conversions they seem to be able to find room for the LPG tank where the original fuel tank was situated, but in this case the Accord fuel tank is under the passenger seat (at least it is with the CB7) and there may well not be the room to fit an LPG tank down there...

FAT VTI
22-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Your driving a 2.2l economic vtec engine!

All this talk about downgrading to a civic or a smaller car, your car is already very decent on fuel!

yiannixanthos
22-07-2009, 01:06 PM
i aint the one wanting to downgrade, it was recommended by other members, im happy with my accord...

hectic_filo
23-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Your driving a 2.2l economic vtec engine!

All this talk about downgrading to a civic or a smaller car, your car is already very decent on fuel!

:thumbsup: my accord 2.2 Vtec gives me 500k per tank.. its pretty gud.

JohnL
23-07-2009, 10:28 AM
My CB7 (f22A9 non VTEC SOHC with manual box) does 6.6L per 100km with steady driving on the highway at 100kmh / 110kmh, and between 8.5L and 9L per 100km in rural (but not hwy) driving. This non hwy number equates to about 600km between fills.

Despite advances in fuel injection, engine management and the increasing usage of more sophisticated engine design etc in the last 20 or 25 years or so (ish), modern cars (and for purposes of this comment I'm considering 20 year old Hondas as being relatively 'modern') tend not to have significantly superior economy to much older cars of similarish size and engine capacity. This is because modern cars are fat and heavy compared to equivalent but much older cars (all that AC, PS, CC, sound systems, extra sound deadening etc...).

hectic_filo
23-07-2009, 10:50 AM
My CB7 (f22A9 non VTEC SOHC with manual box) does 6.6L per 100km with steady driving on the highway at 100kmh / 110kmh, and between 8.5L and 9L per 100km in rural (but not hwy) driving. This non hwy number equates to about 600km between fills.

Despite advances in fuel injection, engine management and the increasing usage of more sophisticated engine design etc in the last 20 or 25 years or so (ish), modern cars (and for purposes of this comment I'm considering 20 year old Hondas as being relatively 'modern') tend not to have significantly superior economy to much older cars of similarish size and engine capacity. This is because modern cars are fat and heavy compared to equivalent but much older cars (all that AC, PS, CC, sound systems, extra sound deadening etc...).

i agree on the comment about the honda's design are modern.. It seems like honda's technology is way advance compare to other manufactureres out there.. not just in engine technology.. overall

I remember my moms 1983 accord, power steering, electric sunroof, and its a hondamatic 3 speed ahaha

especially Vtec engine are very fuel efficient compare to other 4 cyl engine out there.. no matter in the 1.5, 1.6, 1.8ltr and up.. its has more % efficient if you compare to other engines..'

And i believe if you run LPG in the car you get less power.. thats what mate said who own a falcon 4 ltr. IF his in LPG mode even his foot on the floor it doesnt giv you the power the way petrol givs it to ya.

And he said.. If your travelling in LPG and you want power just swittch the switch to petrol and it feels like its a NOS.. lol :)

JohnL
23-07-2009, 05:07 PM
And i believe if you run LPG in the car you get less power.. thats what mate said who own a falcon 4 ltr. IF his in LPG mode even his foot on the floor it doesnt giv you the power the way petrol givs it to ya.

And he said.. If your travelling in LPG and you want power just swittch the switch to petrol and it feels like its a NOS.. lol :)

The difference would be less pronounced if the conversion were to LPG only (i.e. not 'dual fuel') and all measures taken to optimise the engine to use LPG most efficiently. Problem is that if optimised for LPG, petrol will destroy the engine...