PDA

View Full Version : Cracked engine blocks FD civics..

fab4272
01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi All,

I have read alot recently of drivers, mainly in the USA of overheating problems, which is traced back to a cracked engine block. I have seen alot of posts of this, on http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp. Search on 2006 honda civic.

Some have said its due to faulty castings.

Has anyone else heard or seen this? There is a TSB "TSB 08-044" on this apparantly, but I gather this TSB would be for the USA. Does anyone have details on this TSB?

Starting to worry abit now as my car is out of warranty in the next 45 days.

Thanks.

fab4272
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Bump....no one? in adding further, the crack is hairline, and it looks like there can be coolant leaks on the ground when this is happening.

Anyone noticed coolant on the ground at all?

JOhnnyFD
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
can't see the website?

is this for the R18A1 or the K20Z2 engine?

fab4272
01-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Sorry, my mistake you need a login for this website. here is an example of very many complaints:

Details: MY HONDA CIVIC DIED ON THE FREEWAY AND THE RESULT WAS A CRACKED BLOCK. I HAVE FOUND OUT SINCE THAT HONDA ISSUES A TSB 08-044 ON THESE ENGINES FOR THERE REPAIR SHOP. I HAVE DOCUMENTS THAT I CAN EMAIL TO YOU. THE ENGINES ARE KNOWN TO BE DEFECTIVE, BUT HONDA WAITS UNTIL AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES TO AVOID FIXING THE PROBLEM. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A RECALL ON THESE ENGINES. SEE CARCOMPLAINTS.COM AND CRACKEDENGINES.COM FOR MORE CASES OTHER THAN MINE. LUCKY FOR ME, THAT WHEN THE ENGINE DIED AT 65 MPH IN THE FAST LANE, A QUICK THINKING CHP OFFICER PUSHED MY VEHICLE OUT OF THE 70MPH FAST LAST AND ONTO THE SHOULDER. IF THIS 'RECALL' IS ISSUED AND SAVES ONE LIVE, IT IS WORTH IT. *TR

another

Details: I HAVE OWNED A 2006 HONDA CIVIC EX FOR A LITTLE OVER 2 AND A 1/2 YEARS NOW. LESS THAN 6 MONTHS AGO, I NOTICED THAT MY VEHICLE WAS LEAKING ENGINE COOLANT. I SPOKE WITH A TECHNICIAN AT MY DEALERSHIP WHO TOLD ME TO BRING IT IN. WHEN I DID, THEY INFORMED ME THAT THERE WAS A "HAIR-LINE FRACTURE" IN THE ENGINE BLOCK THAT WAS CAUSING ENGINE COOLANT TO LEAK AND ALSO TO MIX WITH THE OIL IN THE ENGINE. MY VEHICLE AT THE TIME HAD ONLY 26,731 MILES ON IT, SO THE DEALERSHIP WAS ABLE TO REPAIR MY VEHICLE AT NO CHARGE. ON TOP OF THE ENGINE TROUBLE, I HAVE ALSO HAD TO GET THE WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID PUMP REPLACED AND ALSO TWO SUN VISORS INSIDE THE VEHICLE THAT FELL APART REPLACED AS WELL. ALL REPLACEMENTS, LUCKILY, WERE PROVIDED AT NO COST BY THE DEALERSHIP. *TR

another

Details: 2006 HONDA CIVIC LX WITH 78,000 MILES BEGAN LEAKING COOLANT. HAD VEHICLE LOOKED AT HONDA SERVICE DEPT AND INFORMED IT WAS DUE TO A CRACKED BLOCK AND WOULD REQUIRE A NEW ENGINE. I HAVE READ MULTIPLE COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS SAME ISSUE WITH HONDA CIVICS 2006-2007 WITH MILEAGE FROM ANYWHERE BETWEEN 13,000-120,000. IT IS REPORTED TO BE A PROBLEM WITH THE CASTING ON THIS MODEL. HONDA HAS A SERVICE BULLETIN (08-044) POSTED. NO ASSISTANCE OFFERED FROM HONDA FOR REPAIRS EVEN THOUGH THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM. *TR

FallenAngel
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Never heard about the issue and esp in AUS, although there one FD i think that the engine died for some reason. I don't know if the thread is still here but it went on for awhile..

cracker
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
something happend 2 sum1's engine ages ago FD style..ill try nd find it!

cracker
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
black wall streets blowin the **** up BOOM BOOM - link --> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89373

destrukshn
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
black wall streets blowin the **** up BOOM BOOM - link --> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89373
if you read through that thread, there was a part where the owner said he did drive through a puddle of water, and sucked up a unknown amount of water into the motor, hence weakening the components, and most probably why the motor went BOOM.

and to answer the OP's question, in Australia, as far as i know, having experience in the honda dealerships, this is not a common problem, if at all.

cracker
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
give it a read newai

Sherweeeny
02-06-2009, 01:10 AM
which engine.

fab4272
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM
which engine.

One of the complaints I saw related to the Civic LX in the USA. When I checked out the specs it was for the 1.8 ltr motor.

fab4272
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
here is a link to a thread somewhere else with pictures this time....

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/63945-r18-civics-overheating-possible-cracked-block.html

JOhnnyFD
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
pics from that forum

http://i25.tinypic.com/23lhaut.png

http://i26.tinypic.com/5n6x4z.png

http://i29.tinypic.com/97ieq8.png

this looks badd... engine conversion time :D hehe

curtis265
19-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah it's the R18 engine that we have here too. I dont think it'll ever happen to us.

It happens after the warranty goes too :(

fab4272
20-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah it's the R18 engine that we have here too. I dont think it'll ever happen to us.

It happens after the warranty goes too :(

I believe if there is enough evidence of this happening to engine blocks in Australia or around the world, then would it be easy to prove it is a design or manufacturing fault and Honda would be responsible to rectify it after warranty expires?

warwick108
20-07-2009, 09:41 AM
i think emdbranch has a problem with his coolant.. =S.. he found no coolant in his radiator..=S

edmbranch
20-07-2009, 09:54 AM
yea..mine's the k20z tho.. the bottle's empty, it's got some moss, dirt, dead bugs.. :(

curtis265
20-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I believe if there is enough evidence of this happening to engine blocks in Australia or around the world, then would it be easy to prove it is a design or manufacturing fault and Honda would be responsible to rectify it after warranty expires?

If there are enough cases then that would be true - but i think there are very few happening, plus i think our engines were constructed in thailand, whereas they had theirs done in the US. (not sure about that fact)

aaronng
20-07-2009, 12:55 PM
yea..mine's the k20z tho.. the bottle's empty, it's got some moss, dirt, dead bugs.. :(

Damn, I thought you had the R18A. Have you visually inspected your radiator for holes in the fins?

OMG.JAI xD
20-07-2009, 08:37 PM
If im not wrong.
Dont we aussies get our cars directly from japan, whilst the americanos get everything assembled there?
Even though the engine numbers and designs are the same, they are made at different factories is it not?

Just a thought.

black8thgen
20-07-2009, 08:42 PM
ours r made in thailand now.. shitty jobs =/

curtis265
20-07-2009, 10:12 PM
yer but the americans have trouble following instructions.

black8thgen
20-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Hahahahhahaa

OMG.JAI xD
20-07-2009, 10:47 PM

I think that only applies to spare parts.
I dont think engines would be built there. If it does. Then god... save us all.

Well i drive a 98 model car so im safe =]

edmbranch
21-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Damn, I thought you had the R18A. Have you visually inspected your radiator for holes in the fins?

nar, no holes that I can see or feel, but it's all good now, the dealership I went to rectify the whole mishap..

engines are built in japan and shipped to other countries.. there was a report done by temple of vtec, I can't be stuffed looking for it :p

I think that only applies to spare parts.
I dont think engines would be built there. If it does. Then god... save us all.

Well i drive a 98 model car so im safe =]
I like genuine honda spare parts but they cost a bomb! some parts are made in thailand tho, bust mostly in japan still..

black8thgen
21-07-2009, 02:10 PM
oh right, yeah engine would be in japan but everything else is thailand am i correct? like putting thing together, eg. the body (i forgot the name atm =.=) and interior stuff

edmbranch
21-07-2009, 05:47 PM
yeap, that's right.. some parts are actually made in thailand, I've taken my front bumper off to replace my eagle eyes with my stock ones.. could see "made in thailand" everywhere..

the cars are assembled in thailand..