PDA

View Full Version : Custom Headers

Usual Suspect
03-11-2004, 08:55 PM
First things first, is there any point in getting some custom headers for my 1983 Honda Accord made up?

Anyone know any good shops in perth to do this? I suppose you get what you pay for, but whats an average price?

Cheers all.

Oh ive got a custom 2.25" Mandrel bent exahust system already.

projekt kal
04-11-2004, 12:59 AM
sorry to hi jack ur thread dude..

but how would custom headers compare to off the shelf 1s? ie. custom vs something like a toda? would the custom jus be cheaper? and which would have a higher performance increase? im guessin the off the shelf would be better as they have been designed and tested more considerably.

sivic
04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
you cant really put all off the shelf headers in the same box. you got the likes of X-force, hurrican etc..... then you got mugen, toda etc.....
the first set are pretty much good looking versions of the factory manifold which may give some improvement.
the second lot are systems which have had shitloads of r&d put in and are your best bet for getting gains from such a mod, though they offer a limited selection. but then there is the price diff.....
but as far as customs go it depends on how experienced the place is that you get to do them. provided you go to a good place that knows their stuff you will prob get a better system than those offered by hurricane etc.... but it is very unlikely you will get anything that is better than a set of TODA etc. headers.
for your car the only option would be custom headers as i doubt anyone makes an off the shelf set. just a matter of finding a place which has a good balace between quality and cost :thumbsup:

SiR JDM
04-11-2004, 05:52 PM
If its for an Accord I say save your money and keep your stockies...

If its for a .. more performance based honda, ie DOHC vtec ... the jap stuff is definatly the best way to go as proved by numerous dynos...
Even the Jap spec ITRs have a better header .. and yea the mugens, todas etc are good shit too!

I havn't seen any dynos for the aussie stuff.. xfoce, hurricain, etc but i assume they are atleast as equal if not slightly better than stock..

panda[cRx]
04-11-2004, 07:48 PM
yeah the mugen/toda stuff better performance wise but not best value for money.

and no your wouldnt put ANYTHING mugen/toda/etc in an 83 accord (my opinion anyway)

Setanta
05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Aussie stuff is crap - better to get a custom set made up on the Jackson Racing pattern - but they are hell to find nowadays.

Personally, I think the motor responds to mods, but the return you get from lashing out on a header will be minimal as the motor isn't performance oriented. If you engine swap, then it will be worthwhile - until then, keep the standard manifold or get a custom set of 4-2-1's made for it.

I disagree with Panda[CRX] - but then again, I've used Mugen, Jackson Racing, AT Engineering etc stuff in '70s 1200cc Civics :)

Cyrus
20-11-2004, 03:58 PM
save your money and get a set of good sound system or lower the car or something...

Uncouth
13-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi! i know magictune near cannington does custon pipework... i had mine done there. 4-2-1 header and a custom exhaust pipework done. PM or email me at adriansim@gmail.com if you need more details. cheers. im in perth too... :P

First things first, is there any point in getting some custom headers for my 1983 Honda Accord made up?

Anyone know any good shops in perth to do this? I suppose you get what you pay for, but whats an average price?

Cheers all.

Oh ive got a custom 2.25" Mandrel bent exahust system already.

ginganggooly
13-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Aussie stuff is crap - better to get a custom set made up on the Jackson Racing pattern - but they are hell to find nowadays.

Personally, I think the motor responds to mods, but the return you get from lashing out on a header will be minimal as the motor isn't performance oriented. If you engine swap, then it will be worthwhile - until then, keep the standard manifold or get a custom set of 4-2-1's made for it.

I disagree with Panda[CRX] - but then again, I've used Mugen, Jackson Racing, AT Engineering etc stuff in '70s 1200cc Civics :)
... i don't know about that. dave flood makes some pretty serious headers from what i've seen/heard. :)

Limbo
13-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Main point get ones that are tuned length otherwise you'll regret it. Also jsut see if the cost is worth it to you.....otherwise a general off the shelf one might be fine, sjut so long as they are tuned length and are a decent size.