PDA

View Full Version : eg6 cluster question

kcokla
02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
ive recently purchased an eg6 cluster and have found out it had been tampered with as it had been previously opened before for reasons unknown,
the cluster itself works, (fuel gauge, tempreture, rpm's) but the speedometre seems to be incorrect but im not sure if its due to previous tampering and a bad fixing job or for whatever reason. after trying many things with mixing and matching certain parts and odometres with the actual white face/and the original black one, i beleive it is the following however was hoping for some insight as to wheather my thesis may or may not be correct.

as my ecu is not an eg6 one, and is designed for the black cluster ,(non eg6) the needle moves as if it was a black cluster, which the speeds are differntly spaced. therefore the needle moves as if it was a normal cluster but the cluster itself, being only a peice of plastic with numbers, is telling me otherwise,
does this sound plausable?
to reinforce this idea, when using the white face, im around 10-15-20k's off in speed, which reinforces the spacing between them.
can anyone shed light on this?

thanks

rayb3na_
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
thats a massive.. MASSIVE speed difference everyone i know running an eg6 cluster doesnt seem to have the problem you've mentioned?

CRXer
02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
ecu has nothing to do with it,it sounds like u have aussie speed calibrated faceplate attached to jdm (180k/h max) speedo mechanism.

kcokla
02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
thats a massive.. MASSIVE speed difference everyone i know running an eg6 cluster doesnt seem to have the problem you've mentioned?
:( fair enough

ecu has nothing to do with it,it sounds like u have aussie speed calibrated faceplate attached to jdm (180k/h max) speedo mechanism.
thats what i also suspected,
this reinforces the idea why it has been previously opened and why the needle came out so easily ! so i guess the odometre (aussie speed calibrator ?) is from a previous car where this person has done something with the original odometre that came with the car? and that the odometre i have for it now, and my own is obviously an australian one which projects the speed at a differnt rate therefore throwing off the needle inconjunction with the white face.

does this sound correct? can anyone reinforce this?

what im currently running is a half eg6/non eg 6 cluster! white rpm/white fuel/temp and black speedo !
as everyone can imagine , im trying to be able to use the white speedo !
any ideas anyone.

CRXer
02-06-2009, 08:52 PM
sorry,i have never taken much notice of what an eg cluster looks like & im still not following exactly which pieces coupled together give what results.

what is the speedo mechanism(ie the guts that sit inside the cluster) u are trying to use,eg6 or egoz?

what are the max speeds marked on whichever face plates u have?

if 60k/h=80k/h,80k/h=100k/h,100=120,etc(ie linear error) then its just a matter of setting the needle right(gps,datalog,mate drive alongside,whatever)

if its 60=80,80=110,100=140,whatever,vice versa,etc,then match a 180k/h max face plate to the eg6 guts & see how that goes.

kcokla
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
sorry,i have never taken much notice of what an eg cluster looks like & im still not following exactly which pieces coupled together give what results.

what is the speedo mechanism(ie the guts that sit inside the cluster) u are trying to use,eg6 or egoz?

what are the max speeds marked on whichever face plates u have?

if 60k/h=80k/h,80k/h=100k/h,100=120,etc(ie linear error) then its just a matter of setting the needle right(gps,datalog,mate drive alongside,whatever)

if its 60=80,80=110,100=140,whatever,vice versa,etc,then match a 180k/h max face plate to the eg6 guts & see how that goes.

i dont understand what your trying to recommend me, care to rephrase?
what i beleive now, is as you've mentioned, aus spec odometre on a jdm spec cluster dial, therefore doesnt match up !

CRXer
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
i think an EG person would be better help for u,

all im tryin to say is,
if ur using the jdm speedo mech(odometer as u seem to be calling it,the bit with all the gears /odometer etc that sits inside the cluster) then u need to use the 180km/h max marked faceplate.

if using the aussie spec odometer,use the aussie faceplate (200+ km/h,or whatever it is in EG)

if it still doesnt work,get a gps & post up the speed difference at 3 or 4 different speeds & someone might be able to give u a solution.

all im also saying is if the gap between the different speeds is the same for all 3 or 4 readings,then u will prob be able to fix that by just adjusting the needle.
if the gaps are different then either your faceplate doesnt match your "odometer",or u have a problem with the speedo drive on the gearbox, or even worse still something is broken & u'll have to buy new part.

kcokla
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
how would i adjust the needle?
i get what your saying,

im using aus spec odo, forcing me to use black faceplate! but id like to use the white eg6 one!

CRXer
03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
if its eg6 cluster,what happened to the jdm odo & y cant u use it?

maybe if u put up pic of the white & black face,it might make more sense to me,or u'll have to wait for EG person.

for needle,just place it on lightly so it grips a little & plug the cluster in without clear cover on & go for a drive with a gps unit.
when gps says 40km/h(or whatever speed u feel safe to adjust needle while driving at same time) just pop needle off & place it back lightly pointing to 40k/h.
recheck speed again & adjust if needed,try some higher speeds as well.
if happy,push needle on firmly & enjoy.

if no gps or datalogger available,just get friend to drive along side u & shout out the speed.

kcokla
03-06-2009, 12:56 AM
if its eg6 cluster,what happened to the jdm odo & y cant u use it?

maybe if u put up pic of the white & black face,it might make more sense to me,or u'll have to wait for EG person.

for needle,just place it on lightly so it grips a little & plug the cluster in without clear cover on & go for a drive with a gps unit.
when gps says 40km/h(or whatever speed u feel safe to adjust needle while driving at same time) just pop needle off & place it back lightly pointing to 40k/h.
recheck speed again & adjust if needed,try some higher speeds as well.
if happy,push needle on firmly & enjoy.

if no gps or datalogger available,just get friend to drive along side u & shout out the speed.

lool
interesting techniques,
has this been proven to work? thats suprising/ dont understand teh logic of it but ill give it a shot if ur sure!
why cant i use the eg6 one?
because the person i bought it off didnt give me one, him or someone before him had tampered with it!

CRXer
03-06-2009, 01:06 AM
oh ok,well looks like your stuck with a aussie calibrated face plate for now,like i said i got no idea about EG speedo faceplates.

i had to recalibrate a DC2R speedo needle.......bought with broken speedo,but i had DC2 spare cluster,both jdm so no hassles with faceplates,so yes it works fine.

fortunately i had a datalogger in the car,so i could read the speed in large letters on the pc while trying to do by myself. it would be a lot easier with 2 people.

u can also do it by stopping the car & adjusting,
u just gently bend the needle out past the little pin it rests on at 0k/h & let it fall to where it will stop & then just pop it off & move it whatever amount u think will make it correct again,then just ease it up over the 0k/h pin again & retest & repeat until ure happy.

Boban
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM
bad luck d00de, sorry to hear you got so many problems with the cluster, hopefully you got it cheap enough. I haven't had problems with mine since i got it, now i'm hunting down a EG9 one (didn't know there was a difference but after some research.....)

try what crxer said and adjust it yourself, and if you stuff it up i got 2 egoz (lol, good term) speedos i'll send you one so you can break it as well