PDA

View Full Version : DC2R Suspension/Wheel Noise

ShiRi
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,

Trying to isolate the problem associated with a DC2R. Within the last two or three days this noise has occured when bearing right from the front left hand side of the car, specifically from the wheel area.

So far I have tested by jacking the car up and turning the wheel, no noise occurs. I am next to testing with both wheels up and free wheeling while turning the wheel either way to further isolate which I'll update with the result once I've done that.

There is no noise when full lock doing circles on flat ground. It appears to be occuring under certain conditions such as the pitch or incline of the car.

Here's the noise, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOASjhT6nU. This occured at full lock rolling onto an incline.

Anyone experience this before?

Regards,
Shiri

VTECMACHINE
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Possibly wheel bearing or CV. Does that noise occur when rolling along in Neutral? Is it consistant at slow and high speeds, but more noticable when corners and at higher speeds? My wheels bearing just screwed up. Haven't them changed next week.

ShiRi
03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't know if it is related to the wheel bearing Ricky but that is getting replaced tomorrow due to there being a bit of give when shaking the top of the front passangers wheel. They seem unrelated cause this sounds like creaking from the control arm or stabaliser bar.

chargeR
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM
One of my front wheel bearings failed (DC5R) and it made a shifty creaking sound at low speeds somewhat similar to your case. The inner race of the bearing had developed play on the hub which is what was making the weird noise.

ShiRi
03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info chargeR, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll know soon enough if they indeed related.

On that topic, Anyone have any suggestions for where to get a wheel bearing replaced in Vic North East? Would I be right in prefering a Honda repairer as I'm under the impression aftermarket bearings aren't as good?

VTECMACHINE
04-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Shiri, i'm sure it's the wheel bearing, cos mine also made this sort of noise, but not as bad though - your's is probably screwed! But if there is give when shaking the wheel... then yeah that's good indication that it's the bearing. Use OEM Honda wheel bearing. You may want to change the studs at the same time aswell - up to you. Over time the bottom part corrodes and I have seen alot of them snap - better to get it done same time as bearing to save labour costs (OEM are $7-9 each, or ARP ones are $33-35 for 5 - you can get extended or "short" stock length ones). I'm getting mine done the same time as I replace the bearing -- Just a thought.

string
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Can't watch the video at work but creaking sound could be lower ball joint.

ShiRi
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
FYI it turned out the hub itself was rooted as well as the bearing. Both are being replaced.

VTECMACHINE
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for letting us know! Hope you get it all sorted!

intk20A
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Your problem is not wheel bearing related, that sound on the link is a rubber type noise.

It will be your upper control arm bushes or your front sway bar bushes.

Both are easy to isolate if you want me to look at your problem then contact me im a factory trained honda technician

chargeR
01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Your problem is not wheel bearing related, that sound on the link is a rubber type noise.

It will be your upper control arm bushes or your front sway bar bushes.

Both are easy to isolate if you want me to look at your problem then contact me im a factory trained honda technician

Read the thread champ, don't you think the fellow would have posted up if replacing the wheel bearing and hub didn't correct the issue? Do they teach you to read at factory Honda technician school?

intk20A
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
A wheel bearing is never going to make a noise at low speeds like that, the way to test wheel bearings is to have the car jacked up and drive it at above 60 ks and then listen with stethoscope on the back of the hub, also if you look closely at the vid provided you can see that he is going over bumps, a bump at low speed is not going to make a wheel bearing type noise. Also a wheel bearing will make a rotational noise that will get louder the faster you drive, that is clearly a rubber type creak...............listen again champ

string
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I've had a wheel bearing fail with a screech/creak noise - at high speed there was no drone.