PDA

View Full Version : How do you 3-wheel your car???

MRB18R
03-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey guys... seen a couple of pics in some threads of cars 3-wheeling...

what is 3-wheeling??... and how do you do it??

Thanks

Mr_will
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
there should be a button next to the air con one.

MRB18R
03-06-2009, 07:51 PM
lol yeahhhhh harddd

stevo716
03-06-2009, 07:57 PM
if its 3 wheeling like i think u mean ur talking bout, then high speed turn, stiff chassis, good camera to take the pic
that shud do it but yeh u need to do it pretty fast

OMG.JAI xD
03-06-2009, 07:57 PM
3 Wheeling is when you have 1 wheel lift off the ground.

Where as 2 wheeling is having on side airborne and one side planted.

3 Wheeling usually needs a big amount of space.
Cause you can only do it with high amount of g forces created on a turn.
Its basically gettin some speed. Slowly turning in and making it a sharper turn without over steering or under steering. Causing the body to flex so that one wheel lifts off.

onlykillzz
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
dont really need much to do it just stiff suspension and a big sway bar, you normaly see type R's doing it because they come with stiff sway bar

stevo716
03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Nothing special really. To make it easier, take off your rear sway bar.
wouldnt that make ur chassis less tiff therefore keepin the tyre on the ground??

geeang
03-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Taking your sway bar off would mean the LCA can move more easily, so that would make it harder to 3-wheel.

But why would you want to 3-wheel anyway? "Fully sick bro, I can 3-wheel like a dog chuckin a piss broooooo"

stevo716
03-06-2009, 08:10 PM
lol and if u rele want to just it up and photoshop the jack out lol

MRB18R
03-06-2009, 08:49 PM
hahaha thanks ppls

Red_EG4
03-06-2009, 08:55 PM
or do you mean like in the 'post pics of your car 3 wheelin thread'?

EG30
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Pics of my car at the last hillclimb I did in Perth.

FF car with a stiff enough rear bar always picks up the unloaded rear wheel on tight corners above a certain lateral load, don,t need to be high speed.

My car has whiteline 20mm rear bar on stiff setting

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4842/mg8813t.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mg8813t.jpg)http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2622/img75652.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img75652.jpg)

[ricer]
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
"Fully sick bro, I can 3-wheel like a dog chuckin a piss broooooo"

ahahahahhaa

simbadda54
04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Drive ur car up a driveway with aftermarket shocks or coilovers lol. I think this is the 3 wheeling ur thinking of

JohnL
04-06-2009, 07:48 AM
It's related to the need to keep the inside driving wheel loaded in order to maximise traction when exiting corners. Whether it's the inside front wheel or the inside rear wheel that is prone to lifting depends on whether the car has more roll stiffness at the front or at the rear, and this is typically directly related to whether the car is FWD or RWD.

Competition FWD cars need to keep the inside front wheel loaded in order to maximise traction exiting corners, so will typically have a higher rear roll stiffness than front roll stiffness (stiffer rear anti roll bar / and or springs). This results in greater % of the total lateral weight transfer occuring at the rear end of the car and less at the front.

RWD cars typically do the opposite, i.e. have higher front roll stiffness in order to unload the inside front more than the inside rear in order to keep the inside rear more heavily loaded exiting corners. Even single seaters do this, but it's harder to see because the inside front wheel rarely actualy lifts, but does become very 'light' relative to the inside rear.

Note that in absolute terms a FWD car may have stiffer springs / ARB in the front than the rear but still have a higher rear roll stiffness because the relative roll stiffness is laregly dependant on the weight being carried on each axle line, with more front / less rear weight with FWD cars. So, even with a stiffer front spring and ARB (relative to rear), a front heavy car may still have a higher rear roll stiffness and tend to lift the IR when cornering hard.

Also note that relative front / rear roll stiffness has implications for understeer / oversteer, with higher rear roll stiffness being one of the factors generating less understeer / greater oversteer, and higher front roll stiffness tending to generate greater understeer.

string
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
You don't want to be lifting the inside rear wheel off the ground too much - doing so is an indication that you have achieved full weight transfer at the rear and any further lateral load transfer happens at the front.

95civic
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
One of the most important things we used to look at while racing with regards to lifting an inside wheel was the path in which the wheel takes. Ideally it will be a large smooth curve, you dont want to 'pop' up the wheel and 'slam' it back down, you want it to be a soft take-off and slowly lowered back onto the ground...

incoming
04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Drive ur car up a driveway with aftermarket shocks or coilovers lol. I think this is the 3 wheeling ur thinking of

i think OP is talking about this as well

sack coilovers.. hydraulics!
hittin switches on b*tches like i been fixed with hydraulics - tupac haha

redefine
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
One of the most important things we used to look at while racing with regards to lifting an inside wheel was the path in which the wheel takes. Ideally it will be a large smooth curve, you dont want to 'pop' up the wheel and 'slam' it back down, you want it to be a soft take-off and slowly lowered back onto the ground...

well that smooth lift is a direct result of smooth cornering, which should be aimed at weather or not there is a lifted wheel.

hisoka
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
if your talking about drive way three wheeling. just coilovers on lowest settings should make it happen.

can do two wheels aswell

VTECMACHINE
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
3 wheeling is sick!

hai
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
COILOVERS STIFFEST SETTING FTW !!!!!! on a driveway

Frankie
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

hay wasnt there a tread on this before with pics of peoples car in the drive ways with three wheels can anyone find that thread iam interested in that lol

aaron182
05-06-2009, 09:24 PM
airbags?

JohnL
06-06-2009, 11:25 AM
COILOVERS STIFFEST SETTING FTW !!!!!! on a driveway

I thought this was a serious question to do with an important aspect of the fundamental physics involved with chassis dynamics... I guess I should have known better!

Driveways, OK..........